Video: Tim Berne & Los Totopos

edited November 2011 in Jazz
Playing some Tim Berne and this came up as a recommendation on YouTube:

It increasingly sounds to me as if Ches Smith is the latest in the Joey Baron, Jim Black drummer line. But every member of the band is excellent, which is instantly recognisable as a Tim Berne project.

Comments

• I'm not sure I 'get' it Dave, but it certainly grew on me quite a bit by the end.

I thought the drummer sounded very hesitant indeed initially, but whn he got his groove on he has a very nice feel indeed, not to mention technique.

In fact, a very impressive lineup, says the phillistine.
  • edited November 2011
    To be honest, Tim Berne is someone I didn't get either, when I first heard him live back in the late 80s. He tends to compose and play very densely packed music with really long melody lines.

These days, I'm a great fan. He's a real original.

He's also an important figure for the current generation of younger jazzers, as he has put out a large proportion of his work on his own labels, with a kind of punk ethos - look at the designs at www.screwgunrecords.com, and consider that they don't have bar codes, so major retailers can't stock them. Younger musicians are having to run their own labels now, of course.