Furutech plugs

edited January 2012 in Other hi-fi gear
This discussion was created from comments split from: Cable's, Interconnects and Power Chords.

I thought this discussion was interesting enough to merit its own thread. It may have got lost in the For Sales.

Comments

• PACPAC
    edited January 2012
    I'd agree that they're superb quality Colin.  Furutech claim some sort of patent on the connectors which basically relates to the grounding of connector sections which might produce electromagnetic fields which is pro ported to reduce impedance under load. Well, I' don't know about that (whether it is of significance)  but the connectors, especially at the higher end are second to none on quality...lovely to behold!  I do quite a bit of work with their Alpha cables and they're some of my personal favourites.  Anyone who thinks balanced connections all sound the same should try using Furutech SA-22 IC's. Feedback on these has been universally positive in terms of perceived transparency improvements.  I tend to pair them with top quality Cardas XLR plugs to maintain quality and functionality as the Caradas XLR's are about the best built I've come across.
  • Well the most positive thing I liked about them was after testing a lot of other they were the only one's that had all the safety specs and passed my test up to 3500VAC for 10min which is what we test our cables at and no others did and in most cases failed at 2500VAC for 1min , not good at all and a couple arced which would cause a nasty fire. So be safe, do not use cheap shit. Nice I like safe things.
  • This is the first time I have ever seen (in interweb-land) a reasoned and plausible discussion as to why Furutech plugs may actually be a decent choice - people usually get hung up on the cost. So there is actually something to differentiate them from other branded plugs, which is something forums haven't been able to tell me before this.
  • PACPAC
    edited January 2012
    Must admit Colin that I have no way of testing them to 3500V!  I did however look at a whole range of plugs and in a roundabout way came to a similar conclusion as your good self.  Of all the plugs and IEC's I looked at, they had the best connector quality and clamp fixings and were able to SAFELY take AWG11 cores, which under current IE Electrical Regs guidance, ordinary plugs should not be used with (max 1.5mm for BS approved household plugs).  Personally, I wouldn't use any other plug for anything larger than 1.5mm twin and earth other than Furutechs.  I'm with Alan on this one;  safety has to be the main reason for justifying them.  I sometimes see other cables advertised using some of the plugs I rejected with 2.5mm cable fitted.  I wouldn't go there. 
  • Was there a new plug to be announced at CES? by Furutech could you send PM and cost of Euro plug and IEC to me please. 100 + sets