Boudica's boys v Caesar's signors ***spoiler***

edited June 2012 in Off-topic
50 mins gone. Really enjoying this. Close, tense, chess-like.
Welshman living in England with half-italian wife, but very much neutral here. Hoping for extra time, penalties.

Comments

• edited June 2012
    Carol and Walcott coming on. Good move by Roy. England need to lift something...
  • Ballotelli - i think the commentator is over doing it. Mario's good, but his ideas often seem to be beyond his abilities today.
  • Switched to red button radio 5 live commentary. BBC1 prattle annoying me too much...
    Italy on top, but England still in it at 0-0.
  • I too have been watching a soccer match, the blue team seem to be better than the white team.

Looks like you might get your wish, Ben. extra time it is.
  • Indeed. Defences look better than attacks.
    Also, I agree blues keeping ball better than whites.
  • I have noted the more northern commentator is a muppet. This may be a prerequisite for a football 'tater or pundit, I'm not sure but it seems to be a recurring pattern.

Mind you, F1 has eddie Jordan, who probably should work as a football pundit. Great race today, about the first ever enjoyable race at that particular circuit IMO.
  • England better in this tournament than recent ones. I think they ultimately lack the creativity and skill to score enough goals to win anything, but in terms of organisation and dedication I think they're better than under Capello.
  • They are better than they have been for some years, agreed. They still won't run for the ball though, and they play ugly, graceless football. No real rhythm or poetry.
  • edited June 2012
    I have noted the more northern commentator is a muppet. This may be a prerequisite for a football 'tater or pundit, I'm not sure but it seems to be a recurring pattern.

Mind you, F1 has eddie Jordan, who probably should work as a football pundit. Great race today, about the first ever enjoyable race at that particular circuit IMO.
    I don't follow F1 much anymore. I know Eddie Jordan though. Like the man. Less of that media training course veneer than most of the platitude meisters that plague the airwaves. For footie radio 5 live have Chris waddle as their match summariser - he's good in a similar way. Also the commentators are more honest and idiosyncratic. Unfortunately the radio 5 live commentary is not available on bbc1 hd freeview, so I'm on standard def. A bit like choosing miles Davis on a fuzzy cassette in an aiwa midi system over kenny g on hi-res on a top notch system. (there's the muso Hifi link to stop Dave from deleting the thread.)

• Nicely done, you subversive. Your name is probably on a list somewhere.
  • So, penalties will decide who gets the pleasure of a German prison shaming in the next round. :-/
  • Eek. Same old same old. :-(
  • Not an unfair result. I also disagree with the muppet commentator, the quarter finals were not "about right for England". They were lucky to get this far tbh.
  • Possibly Alan.
    What worries me, and ditto for welsh rugby, is that there is a lack of flair, and a corresponding/ correlating/ resulting over reliance on organisation.
  • Yup. I think they would have played better in flares.
  • Boooo. Apart from 20mins in the first half that was a dreadful performance from England. Rooney, Young, Milner and Gerrard didn't turn up for most of this tournament. Tonight only went to penalties due to John Terry's Herculean defensive performance.

Agree with your comments above gents - England play ugly football. Static play which sees the ball go at best sideways and at worst all the way back to Hart. We are the masters of turning attack into defence.

Italy will need to convert their chances if they are to beat Germany.

Right, time to become an honorary Scot and watch Murray go crashing out of Wimbledon.
  • Anglo tartans at the ready...!
  • sturm und drang jungen, auf wiedersehen !!!

:)
  • sturm und drang jungen, auf wiedersehen !!!

:)
    Your signors did the job this evening.
    Congratulations!
  • thank you very much indeed BEN :-) now la Furia Roja is waiting for the azzurri...
  • Looking forward to it...! Are you confident?
    Unfortunately(?), I'm at a stone roses gig on Sunday evening, so will miss the game...
  • simply the best, i mean the spaniards, great team, compliments  Furia Roja! :-)
  • Missed it. I heard 4-0...?
  • edited July 2012
    4-0 yep and it  could have been  also 5 or 6-0, just another league...:-)
  • I saw it - I'm not a football fan but the Spanish team were magnificent to watch. Italy weren't exactly shabby either...