Talk Talk LP plus DVD re issues

edited March 2012 in Music
Anyone planning on investing in the soon to be released Talk Talk remasters? The LP version comes with a DVD HD master which could be interesting. I'm not sure how to rip DVD audio into iTunes though...?

Comments

• Do you have a link for this?
  • Thanks. There's not too much info there, is there :-(
  • So, I bought both reissues today. Vinyl is sounding wonderful.... Just looking into how I can rip the DVD-A into my iTunes......
  • Ripping DVD-A is something I've never tried. Perhaps you can post how you did it here? (when you've succeeded, of course  :D )
  • edited April 2012
    Hi all,

So, I've managed to rip the DVD-A content using a free trial of 'DVD Audio Extractor' software for Mac.

It's a bit of a 'chew' as I had to first of all rip to my Macbook Pro using the extractor programme, then rename files, convert to AIFF format using XLD then drag the files to my NAS before adding to iTunes on my Mac Mini.

However, the results are working well and sounding great, however, not much different to the CD rip although there does seem to be a little more 'body' to the sound, if that makes sense.

The small print on the Spirit Of eden DVD-A states that although the audio has been transferred from the audio masters at 96khz/24bit, the final mixes we bounced down to a Mitsubishi digital recorder with sampling rates of 44.1 or 48khz.

The 'Colour Of Spring' disc is full 96khz/24 bit which I'm ripping as I type. I'm wondering if this will sound significantly better than the CD rip.... I'll report back soon.....

• Thanks for that @Monty

Sounds a bit of a faff, but if that Colour of Spring rip is better than the Redbook, then it has to be worth it.
  • So, Colour Of Spring is sounding great. Much better than the CD rip. It's less bright, seems more controlled and closer to the vinyl version than the Spirit Of Eden (to my ears)

I managed to rip this time without the need to convert with XLD as I found an option within DVD Audio Extractor to rip to AIFF in one step.

• Even better!

I'll file that one away for future reference.