Jubilee

edited June 2012 in Off-topic
"I'm not a royalist but..." is all I seem to read and hear these days.
I said it myself tonight.
There's some good in this country yet...

Comments

• Mind you, the simpering over reverential tone of the bbc's Nicholas witchal is not amongst that good. Twunt.
  • To quote Charles: "I cant stand that awful man"
  • Excellent. My admiration for ol' wing nut grows with every passing utterance.
  • I'm agree with everything said here about that BBC berk. A truly vile bit of slime.
  • We had fun, Kathy walked to the Street Blockage Party, sat with friends I listened to a Jazz band play very well I think the youngest was 80yrs Old.
    And drunk lemonade, and chatted with neighbours about the jazz band and dancers.
    It was a good turn out but it is a rouge to hide the cock ups the government are doing. Watch the press in the next few days and see.
    Shame about Prince Philip I do hope he get well soon.
  • The general and positive vibe seemed to come through well on the tv. Shame they didn't televise the jazz band that you enjoyed Col! The whole thing made me feel surprisingly good to be British, which I suppose was the intention.
    Col - I'm sure the jubilee has a distractive value for the government, but it can't have been designed as such shewerly - the events have been in planning for years...?
  • Shame about Prince Philip I do hope he get well soon.

• edited June 2012
    Shame about Prince Philip I do hope he get well soon.

Agreed.
    But I don't understand the general significance of the underscoring and repeating of that... :-/
    Sorry if I'm being a bit dim.
  • Our Jubilee Picnic is today. We have sunshine at the moment. Long may it shine!
  • Couldnt get out as i was ill so attempted to watch some of the coverage on Sky which i will never forgive them for missing almost all of the best bit - the flypast.......wankers.   As for the BBC..........Well shut it down i say - absolute durge with nothing but has beens or wanna be blue peter presenters.......fuckin awful !!
    nothing against Liz or the royals in fact im pretty patriotic but 4 days........come on ?
  • Agreed, the coverage was mostly disappointing and too long.
    I suspect that the bbc's number 1 priority was to avoid criticism of insufficient coverage. Disrespecting the monarchy being something of a taboo these days...
    I thought the concert was excellent tho'. That projection display during the madness set was superb.
  • +1 for madness and the projection display. We loved that!

Madness are still too cool for school - love 'em!
  • I surprised myself by enjoying the concert. However, Sir Cliff and Sir Elton weren't in good voice at all. A bit embarrassing, really.

BTW, our picnic got rained on. The heavens opened about 20 minutes after we set up.
  • Sorry about your picnic mate!

I never saw Cliff, but Elton hasnt been able to sing for a few years now (his voice seems to have broken in his fifties!) - he at least can still put on a performance though.

I actually cringed at how poor Shirley Bassey was, she was amazing once but not so now (good for her age perhaps) - another case of oldies being there because of who they once were. This is what keeps plagueing 'later' with Jools, Smokey Robinson was awful last year. And tom Jones.
  • I didn't see old Burley Chassis (phew!).

I think Tom Jones is still OK for an oldie, but I know what you mean about quality control on Later. 
  • Andy Williams. He's another one.

mutter mutter, grumble moan cull mutter mutter...
  • Tbh I only saw the last 30 mins in full, so probably shouldn't be commenting so definitively...
  • On the contrary, comment definitively and no-one will doubt you... :D
  • Madness were for me the ONLY act worth watching.......the rest were has beens with shot voices.

As for Grace Jones !!   what was that all about ?
  • Madness were for me the ONLY act worth watching.......the rest were has beens with shot voices.

As for Grace Jones !!   what was that all about ?
    I heard that she'd performed. Thought it odd. What did she do?
  • Not a lot !   strutted about in a stupid outfit and shrieked a lot...........normal really.
  • Not a lot !   strutted about in a stupid outfit and shrieked a lot...........normal really.
    Scottyhammer you missed out the hula hoop!
    What no drunk/drug fuelled stupidity...?
    The ol' gal must be feeling her age.
  • Oh yeah the hula hoop how could i forget !!  best thing she ever did was slap Russell Harty.