help with AP30

Hi everyone, although this is my first post here i have been "lurking" around for awhile now. I purchased, sometime back now a NVAAP30 from I believe someone of this parish? No complaints there, excellent value, service with nuke proof packaging. It would appear however that the performance has dropped off somewhat especially in the mid and bass. Normally I would go to NVA for help but having had a "fallout" over some of my posts with the current owner via HFS resulting in a lifetime ban along with the suggestion at the time, that if my amp needed looking at I might find it "embarrassing" I would prefer not too!, no disrespect to NVA. So I'm wondering if anyone here could suggest someone who could give it a look over and possible repair? I know its a longshot but I thought I would ask. Hope this is not taking the p..s. if it is then please ignore, thanks.

Comments

• edited October 2021
    How old is it.? The early bolt together amps must be 30 + years now, so would probably benefit from a recap, but usually when there are issues with NVA amps it's more a case of them not working at all, rather then them being “off“ as it were.

If you can get the lid off (use a wide chisel on the later bonded cases) and check for any thing obvious like scorched resistors, bulging caps etc then that would be a start. 
  • ^ What he said ^
    Pop off the lid with a chisel big flat head screwdriver.
  • Thanks guys, not sure how old but all acrylic no bolts, "full size" I believe? will have a go at lifting the lid! Just seems to be out of sorts at the moment.
  • The NVAs I've had were all glued aluminium. Chisel was the way in then.
  • So I decided to try and remove the top plate from amp. Removed the amp from rack and took it downstairs, I listen in our spare bedroom. I thought I would have a bit of a tidy up then tackle the amp. Having moved everything around, put vinyl back in the rack and hoovered everywhere, putting the speakers back I noticed that one of the bass/midrange drivers didn't look right (two way) and sure enough the outer ring? had become detached from its frame. checked the rest and all ok so re glued it (pva) and will now await the outcome. Hoping this is the answer and not the amp?
  • Could well be!
    Fingers crossed...
  • So I decided to try and remove the top plate from amp. Removed the amp from rack and took it downstairs, I listen in our spare bedroom. I thought I would have a bit of a tidy up then tackle the amp. Having moved everything around, put vinyl back in the rack and hoovered everywhere, putting the speakers back I noticed that one of the bass/midrange drivers didn't look right (two way) and sure enough the outer ring? had become detached from its frame. checked the rest and all ok so re glued it (pva) and will now await the outcome. Hoping this is the answer and not the amp?

Could be!
  • Well just to let you know it was the speaker, surprise, surprise! everything back to normal now. Although it was only 3/4" of the surround that had become detached the effect was quite pronounced. These are 40+ year old speaker, unfortunately moving everything upstairs sometime back, I hadn't realized that this one got the sunshine in late afternoons and I suspect that this was the cause? Never really been concerned about image, soundstage etc all I noticed was the drop in music enjoyment. So back listening and enjoying now, PVA seemed to have worked. Thanks chaps.
    Ps, anyone here buy the one owner claymore on ebay? Put in a bid and failed to set a reminder for end of sale so missed it!!!
  • Well just to let you know it was the speaker, surprise, surprise! everything back to normal now. Although it was only 3/4" of the surround that had become detached the effect was quite pronounced. These are 40+ year old speaker, unfortunately moving everything upstairs sometime back, I hadn't realized that this one got the sunshine in late afternoons and I suspect that this was the cause? Never really been concerned about image, soundstage etc all I noticed was the drop in music enjoyment. So back listening and enjoying now, PVA seemed to have worked. Thanks chaps.
    Ps, anyone here buy the one owner claymore on ebay? Put in a bid and failed to set a reminder for end of sale so missed it!!!
    How much was the Claymore?
  • £225. piss.. I missed it . Looked like the one to buy? Got to learn to concentrate as I would really like to hear one
  • edited October 2021
    There is one at this moment, but he is asking far to much, it will cost more than when they were new @ £350 he is being greedy new it was less. EWA do the new one not much more.