Ewa 25 or 40

I am the proud owner of an original Claymore,  updated by Colin, and  I have just ordered a Q20 pre + amplifier for anotherroom.  I have never spent more than about £200 on cable, but have been convinced by this and other forums that it is worth spending some money on.
 My question is should I buy EWA 25 or 40? Will I notice the difference of the 40 on my modest system? I use an Innuos Zen streamer/cd storage and have Neat floorstanders, Motive SX1, that I am very happy with. I should add that I am 65, so I'm sure my hearing isn't top notch. Especially as I have spent my youth and adult life listening to loud music, both live and at home.
Any thoughts would be most welcome. 

Comments

• I can't answer your question directly because I haven't heard either, and haven't got the prices to hand. :(

But, in the great interest of muddying the water, I run a set of Colin's prototype high-end speaker cables from a few years back in my main system, and they're easily identifiable as better than the TQ Ultra Blacks I compared them to.

So, my speaker cables are probably well out of the range of my system, yet they are obviously better than what I was using before. 

It could be that your more expensive option is the best if you can afford it. You're likely to be able to hear the difference. 

There you go. Water muddied, well and truly!

Sorry about that.
  • Thanks very much for your advice. I have earmarked some money to buy hifi etc., and can afford the more expensive option, but obviously don't want to waste money; £645 v £1025. However, I don't want to buy the 25's and then wonder what 40's would have sounded like. Giving the dilemma more thought, I would probably end up wanting to sell the 25's and buy 40's at some stage anyway. So I think my question is answered, I will buy the 40's, as will probably save me money in the long run!! Thanks again for your thoughts which have helped me to come to a decision.
  • I'm glad you've come to a decision. I'm also glad that my ramblings were useful. Somehow :)
  • Very useful thanks, it allowed me to get it straight in my poor old head!

I have another cable problem. I wonder if you know how I can contact ABC Audio, I've sent emails to the contact email on the Web page but I've had no response.  I have decided to upgrade the power cables on my Q20 order, before they are dispatched to me. I ordered with the standard cable, but like the speaker cable, I think it would be more cost effective to go with the uprated cable as it is captive. Any help would be much appreciated. 
  • I'll see if I can contact Alan tomorrow. 
  • Brilliant,  that would be really kind of you, thanks very much.
  • It's looking as if Alan could be away on holiday.
  • OK, thanks very much for trying.  Hopefully I will be able to get in touch with him before the order goes out. I should have looked at the Importance of cables before I ordered. It was researching the speaker cable that changed my mind. I thought  that I would not notice a difference,  but reading other people's experience changed my mind. Also I didn't notice they were captive cables and thought I could upgrade at a later date. But I'm sure the amp will sound great whichever cable is fitted. Thanks again for trying to get in touch with Alan. 
  • No problem

I'll let you know if I hear anything. 
  • Thanks very much. 
  • Just read that Alan is unwell, I'm sorry to hear that and hope that he recovers soon. I'll wait until I hear from him.
  • Yes, that's best. I haven't heard back from him.
  • In the last two week I drove over to see him and yesterday was real treat we went to lunch, myself and Maria (wife) and dear Alan had a nice peaceful lunch.
    I can recommend the place, service was good and the grub was lovely, and the Elderflower drink is one of my all time favorites mmmm mm

Alan and even talked about a new cable concept that out perform most, so now to do the maths and drawings, I hate maths, and drawing yer right on a napkin just does not do the trick fro the tool makers.

The simple look cafe called Bucklers in Hailsham is worth a visit if your near bye
    www.bucklerscafe.co.uk

Well guys stay well and sing along more, best Col