Directional cable:-

edited April 2023 in Other hi-fi gear
My spelling is crap so please forgive me.

Now this could be fun.

If you have strong beliefs that cable and connection have now effect on audio please move on.

1) Directional cable:-

Most good listener have come across this and it is nothing to do with the wire constructed with Copper, Aluminium or Silver. In fact it is more to do with the connection made from these material and the volcanic voltages and atom migration of there molecules.
Many year ago Inca Tech (me) made Gold plated power connection and in my research I found Brass plated and Copper plated directly with gold lost it's plating after a time, why well the gold migrated into the Copper based connectors and faded, it did not fall off as some may think. So I used a blocking metal pale first that had a much lower voltaic differencne and it was Nickel.
Just a post script :- The first plugs were made as a Christmas Gift for the Flat Earth Magazine time of Chris Frankland and dear Malcolm Steward. Chris and Malcolm always polished the power connector so just for fun I made a set for the of Gold Plated 15A Round pins plugs and socket and with a joke in mind I called them " Golden Mains". After afew days Chris came back to me and said the sound difference was amazing and I should market them, but call them "Inca Tech", so this is where Inca Tech came from a Xmas Gift/joke (boy was I silly).
I knew theses Flat Earther from my days as a founder of A.C.Magnum Ltd with Tony (crook) Relph, Magnum came from ProAc Magnum a amp series made for Paul Tyler of ProAc Speakers.
So now you have the basics of my thoughts and experience.
Now Cable Direction Gold on Gold is good no oxides no direction because there is no micro voltage on dissimilar metals, have you got that ?
Gold on Brass/Copper based connection not good and with that combination on one end and let say Gold on Gold the other we have a small micro cell and it polarizes the cable to act as if directional.
Worse still is Silver on Copper based connection , and as you have been told Silver Oxide conducts as good as pure Silver well this is crap and the Oxide in dust form will leak from one terminal to the other and short out terminal over time, I saw this in a Xray Generator I designed in and around 1992 and at 150,000V it makes a big bang.
The dust also will get into the electronic so be warned DO NOT USE.
Now to the soldered joint, we used in the pass to solder Gold onto Copper a Cadmium based solder as used in MIL SPEC kit but this for commercial and public use is Banned, so we move on to a Tin/Gallium based solder it melts at a much lower temperature and does no exchange material such Gold and Silver so readly.
The Micro Voltage difference also depends on the atmosphere i.e. a damp or humid or smoke room will make it happen much faster.

Part 2 to follow

2) The Wire, conductor.

Comments

• Dave's mod head: Like most forums, we don't normally allow links to other forums, but I guess it does give a bit of context, so I'll let it go.

If you have any disagreements with Colin, please be polite about it. Thanks.
  • Thanks Dave, gone.
  • No problem, Col. It'll be nice to have some debate here.
  • edited April 2023
    I've always wondered about the validity of directional cables in certain designs.
    Pseudo balanced is an obvious winner here.

I'm happy to believe in the use of cables the same way all the time, on the basis that the particles get charged optimally for one direction. I also assume the purity of the metals used must also be beneficial e.g. 99.9% LCOFC.

I eagerly await part 2 from da man wot nose wot e's tokin' 'bout. Especially the active interaction between metals as already mentioned in part 1.

Good stuff.

• cj66 said:
    <snip>
    I eagerly await part 2 from da man wot nose wot e's tokin' 'bout. Especially the active interaction between metals as already mentioned in part 1.

Good stuff.

I hardly dare join in this thread. 

I'm definitely in the 'if it sounds good to me, then that's good enough to me' camp  :)
  • Some Inca Tech clone plugs can be had here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351231922157

Sorry about the link to another 'website' Dave !
  • edited April 2023
    29mile said:
    Some Inca Tech clone plugs can be had here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351231922157

Sorry about the link to another 'website' Dave !
    Last time I looked, eBay wasn't a forum  :)  ;)  >:)
  • I don't know for sure that those are nickel plated under the gold. 

• You're saying they are gold-plated nickel?
  • You do actually want a layer of nickel under the gold, a barrier between the gold and brass, to prevent the migration Colin talks of. That was his early Inca Tech breakthrough.

You also want substantial thick prongs for live and negative. Sometimes the black section hides a very thin brass prong! Not good. A good quality plug is important.
  • Oh, I see. You're unsure there are three layers of metal in that plug.

Does anyone know for sure, one way or the other?
  • edited May 2023
    When I started Inca Tech Plugs, I tried some odd experiments.

Plated Gold directly on Brass (Zinc Copper Alloy) on Nickel Plated Brass and directly on Copper then buried them in my compost heap which was air tight ( collecting gas to heat green house).

Yes the number 42 does come to mind.

(The original was best)

After a year I opened the thing not only was the smell so bad it made me feel sick all the patio door on all the neighbours home closed rapidly  It smelt of baby crap dreadful.
    Ok got sample out Delta, MK, Duraplug etc some Nickle plated some not. Firstly the construction of the MK and Duraplug  Live and Neutral pins was covered in a PVC black, in all case of this construction the Black plastic was destroyed.
    However the solid Delta Plugs were OK.
    All the non plated Nickel Barrier plugs had what appeared to be no gold on them at all.
    All the Nickel Barrier plugs did except were there PVC and mushed up.
    I did the same experiment with sockets stripping them down to there basic metal parts.
    With the same results.

On chemical testing by my then Chemist wife (worked for May and Baker) gold was in the faded Brass alloy but not on the surface.

So Nickel Barrier method worked best, and with the Delta plugs but MK socket Inca Teck Plugs was born.

Thousands were sold to Harrods of London as neck and arm ornaments I am sure.
    Quickie shop in Barnstable also sold them, he a Jim were a great team.

So thanks Chris and Stewart of Flat Response Inca Tech thrived until the wicked witch Maggie killed all small companies.  

• AntiCrap said:
    When I started Inca Tech Plugs, I tried some odd experiments.

Plated Gold directly on Brass (Zinc Copper Alloy) on Nickel Plated Brass and directly on Copper then buried them in my compost heap which was air tight ( collecting gas to heat green house).

Yes the number 42 does come to mind.

(The original was best)

After a year I opened the thing not only was the smell so bad it made me feel sick all the patio door on all the neighbours home closed rapidly  It smelt of baby crap dreadful.
    Ok got sample out Delta, MK, Duraplug etc some Nickle plated some not. Firstly the construction of the MK and Duraplug  Live and Neutral pins was covered in a PVC black, in all case of this construction the Black plastic was destroyed.
    However the solid Delta Plugs were OK.
    All the non plated Nickel Barrier plugs had what appeared to be no gold on them at all.
    All the Nickel Barrier plugs did except were there PVC and mushed up.
    I did the same experiment with sockets stripping them down to there basic metal parts.
    With the same results.

On chemical testing by my then Chemist wife (worked for May and Baker) gold was in the faded Brass alloy but not on the surface.

So Nickel Barrier method worked best, and with the Delta plugs but MK socket Inca Teck Plugs was born.

Thousands were sold to Harrods of London as neck and arm ornaments I am sure.
    Quickie shop in Barnstable also sold them, he a Jim were a great team.

So thanks Chris and Stewart of Flat Response Inca Tech thrived until the wicked witch Maggie killed all small companies.  

Wow!