Shhhhh....

edited August 2011 in Off-topic
Quiet, isn't it?

The height of summer is often like this, even the bigger forums are comparatively quiet. No good trying to advertise anything either right now.

You're not all out rioting, are you?

I must apologise for not being around much recently, this isn't likely to change just yet as my family & I are moving shortly - so busy times for us at least. I hope you're all having a good summer though!

Maybe summer is always quiet for this hobby, its hardly surprising. Once the evenings close in we'll all be indoors with the HiFi again.

I was just popping around all the other forums to catch up, including the one AudioChews sprang from. There I saw a nasty comment about one of our mods and it was implied we don't (with other forums) allow freedom of speech. Does anyone else feel this is true? Do we moderate with a heavy hand here? The only pre-requisite for posting here is a bit of respect, not to insult people, and I feel that is reasonable enough. (The irony is that the other forum banned it's most prolific posters, three of which were prepared to continue posting there even after the nastiness that drove several away. It's been as quiet as a graveyard since)

Comments

• Well Alan I hate Wigcrap (if freedom of speech is what you want there words are very limited to Stanley Knives and rudeness), and this is so far is our best sales month for this year crazy, must all being stolen by riot police.

Anybody out there please take care nasty stuff riots.

Col
  • Agree Col, take care everyone.

I am very surprised - and pleased for you - that sales are strong for you right now. The gear must work well ( sorry didn't mean to sound surpised ).

I am even more surprised at how angry and rude people are willing to get on forums, even ones where one previously felt welcome.
  • edited August 2011
    It such a shame, because we all want the same thing, to enjoy our music I made Hi-Fi originally for myself and friends then Brian O,Rouke got me more involved, then I made 1KW RMS amps for Tom of NLE, then started Magnum etc. it was just for fun as I worked as chemist then. Granddad and Dad introduced me to music reproduction at 10yrs old with valves then Germanium transistor. So why can;t these folk enjoy a good chat and a giggle? and the music.
    Stupid jealousy maybe, who can tell.
    Any how I made Matt happy I hope, we are about to put the super cable on the market and the  SECA amps, nightmare getting everything ready for the lovely ladies to build.
    You take care you piano man. ( I do like Rachmaninov piano) Try this  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKKlhYF53w

Best Col

Another good site for al sorts of info is www.archive.org
  • hello chaps,

i have noticed that chews has been a little quiet , hopefully every ones busy listening to some fine music or other fun things,,

fully agree that it only takes a few idiots to wreck a forum , the other forum that i frequent (but dont any more) chucked Col out!, now, i know they have certain policies with regards to manufacturers touting their wares but they just threw him out , yet they suffer so many fools gladly!? , a couple of the guys that were the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak were posting that if you are a music lover then the system doesnt matter and an eighties one brand stacking system is just as good as any ,and, that any supposed improvement beyond that is all just in the mind ! i left at that point.

chews is doing fine, long may it continue, we need contact with the guys and girls that make the hi fi we use , it inspires confidence when we know the guys that designed the hi fi in front of us can be contacted , so i for one applaud chews decision to allow manufacturers to frequent chews,

BTW Col, happy is one way to put it,, just finished rewiring my alphason xenon arm to use on the old systemdek IIX and spent most of last night chuckling at just how enjoyable my system has become, i put back all my old cables this evening and got a real fright, put all the Tq cables back with much haste !  the smile returned to my face ,
    good to hear you have the SECA ready, how far off is the smaller more affordable amp ?
    all the best guys,
    matt
    :-bd
  • edited August 2011
    Hi Alan,
    I agree with Col, I joined Wigcrap and it didn't take me long to realise there were one or two individuals that were just downright nasty, pedantically chipping at people, even taking one line or one word and having a personal poke at fellow contributors, just to be argumentative, so I left Wigcrap never to return, unfortunately one of those vitriolic individuals has now joined another forum I visit, that man would argue the logistics of the stepping pattern of a tortoise! but I just ignore him.
     I have been involved in HiFi for over 35 years as a retailer, sales rep and distributor, but always as a hobby. I enjoy discussions in a light hearted manner, I don't mind witty banter, but I for one don't mind you moderating this HiFi community, allowing us to share our experiences and knowledge for the enjoyment and benefit of each other and hopefully the audio industry without having to resort to personal attacks.  regards Al
  • Well, Chews may get even quieter for a couple of weeks, 'cos I'm off on hols on Friday.

Play nicely, won't you? :-)
  • We're here Dave.
    Just enjoyed a really good open mic in Cheltenham! Did a slot with my trio, banged out some percussion with the house band and now running the gauntlet with the Gloucester looters on my walk home.
    We'll cope! Enjoy your break! :-)
  • We're here Dave.
    Just enjoyed a really good open mic in Cheltenham! Did a slot with my trio, banged out some percussion with the house band and now running the gauntlet with the Gloucester looters on my walk home.
    We'll cope! Enjoy your break! :-)
    Thanks Ben. And watch out for them Gloucester looters!
  • Hi all, thanks for all the kind remarks. We hope you are very comfortable here & continue to be so.

Dave - have a really nice time, I'm sure you could do with a rest! Where are you going? There's a nice Butlins in Bognor, I hear...
  • Thanks Alan. We're off to the frozen north - to a cottage in a little Yorkshire fishing village.
  • Shhhh not now baby A Class singing delightfully at last now to enjoy a hard 6mth work.

• edited August 2011
    Alan,
    Don't knock butlins! I'm off to the minehead resort on Tuesday afternoon. :-)
    It will be a useful break with the family after the death of my mother in law last weekend. :-(
    The funeral is on Tuesday - we were due to go on Monday - my wife decided she wanted to go ahead with the remainder of the trip to give the kids the holiday. Though the journey down after the funeral will be a difficult one to say the least.
  • Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law, Ben. Please send my condolences to your wife.
  • edited August 2011
    Hi Ben, sorry to hear about you family's loss. I hope you're all doing well?

If you go to Minehead, I wholeheartedly recommend the steam railway. I think it is the longest run by steam in the UK. It is also unusual in that it has a working turntable at Minehead station. We were there in May, and we also liked Dunster castle which is nearby. Have a great time! You too Dave - mash that tea!

Col - I wish you all the best with the new amp - is it a new idea or a development of your old circuit? I'd love to hear your work one day, I really would. I bet it has Pace(maker), Rhythm & Timing!
  • You also go to Selworthy near bye. And then to Lynton via Porlock Hill, lovely place. And then Watermeet for lunch.

:-)
  • Thanks fellas. We drove past some of those places on the way in. It's a nice part of the world down here...!
    Tbh since arriving, we haven't had time to find boredom in the resort yet, so the only occasion we've been out was for a walk along the beach yesterday evening.