Radio

edited June 2011 in Music
Do you still have a tuner in your system? I haven't had for ages, simply because it didn't get used. I perversely still miss radio on the big rig though!

I have been listening to a very decent internet radio stream from France called FIP at my desk system and thought I'd share (the presenters lovely tones are an additional treat).

http://sites.radiofrance.fr/chaines/fip/endirect/

I've heard quite a lot of nice smooth jazz & latin etc.

Comments

• No tuner here either. Plenty of Internet radio options but I rarely go beyond my music collection and Spotify. Will check out your link.....especially if there are seductive tones thrown in for good measure ;-)
  • edited June 2011
    still use my old quad fm3 religiously, late junction on most week nights and jazz on 3 on radio bbc 3 , the jazz house on bbc radio Scotland, i also listen to a bit of Internet radio via my computer and dacmagic but the old fm3 still sounds better to me, i may even get a leak troughline III and a decent decoder one day,
    :)
  • edited June 2011
    The troughline is where it's at, I agree. I might put my old Rotel up for sale/charity though.
  • I haven't had a tuner for decades.

But I do dip into quite a bit of Internet radio, usually on my office system or streamed to the small active speakers in the kitchen.
  • hi all, thought i would share a link,  http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/hr
     just in case you fancy something different,surprizingly eclectic, mr Rollins also has good taste in hi fi !
    all the best
    matt
  • Freeview DAB into a half decent DAC is my option.
    But I listen to radio when I want a break from music, tuning into news and sport (usually R5L).
  • I love radio and collect mostly 1970s FM radios. The big ones :)

For hi-fi I use a Quad FM4 as it matches the pre and power and sounds fine.
    I've also got a rare Myst tuner, A&RT21, Quad FM3, Technics 7900 and a Pioneer 737 'electric blue period' 70s receiver. The latter is also in daily use and playing at this moment.

I'll be gutted when they finally pull the plug on FM but that looks some way off.
    Having said that, the BBC are currently leading the way with their 320kbs R3 internet feed. That is superior to FM IMO and I use that often. You can now get the HQ feed in iTunes and it represents the opportunity to capture some superb concerts.
  • I didn't know there was an affiliation through iTunes? Perhaps I need to investigate further.
  • Hi Alan,

In iTunes, navigate to Radio, select Classical and scroll down to the BBC entries.
    You should see the R3 320kbs high quality stream.
  • Thanks Rob!
    :)
  • Found a Hitachi FT5500 Mk2 on Gumtree a while back, bargain at £20!  Supposed to a pretty good tuner, similar in sound quality to the infamous Audiolab 8000T. However it uses a little battery soldered to the main board to store stations and FCCS info; my battery is flat... :(  One day I'll get around to sorting it.

In the past, I've mucked about with other tuner like the Arcam Alpha 8, Denon TU380, Sugden R21 and Leak Stereo tuner (solid state one).

Don't listen to much radio over web, though that BBC R3 Classial over iTunes looks worth checking out.
  • I enjoy TuneIn Radio on the iPhone. Really useful app for live and podcast radio. Not sure about quality - only listen on earbuds or in the car.
    BTW Rob - I used to live in walthamstow - higham hill road opposite whittingham school. I'll try to find some time to take you up on your offer... :-)
  • Found a Hitachi FT5500 Mk2 on Gumtree a while back, bargain at £20!  Supposed to a pretty good tuner, similar in sound quality to the infamous Audiolab 8000T. However it uses a little battery soldered to the main board to store stations and FCCS info; my battery is flat... :(  One day I'll get around to sorting it.

In the past, I've mucked about with other tuner like the Arcam Alpha 8, Denon TU380, Sugden R21 and Leak Stereo tuner (solid state one).

Don't listen to much radio over web, though that BBC R3 Classial over iTunes looks worth checking out.
    hi afra, welcome this great little community,
    nice old tuner indeed! quick word on that ,try and get round to swapping the battery sooner if you can, they have a nasty habit of leaking and causing all sorts of havoc,.
    nice tip on the R3 on itunes, for once i agree it is better than analogue,
    all the best guys,
    matt
  • Hi Alan,

In iTunes, navigate to Radio, select Classical and scroll down to the BBC entries.
    You should see the R3 320kbs high quality stream.
    Cool. I'll be checking that out, too.
  • I enjoy TuneIn Radio on the iPhone. Really useful app for live and podcast radio. Not sure about quality - only listen on earbuds or in the car.
    BTW Rob - I used to live in walthamstow - higham hill road opposite whittingham school. I'll try to find some time to take you up on your offer... :-)
    Ah, that's the posh end of Walthamstow :)
    I'm only a mile or two up the road and you are welcome anytime.
  • Rob,

The posh end of Walthamstow...?

:-O
    Everything's relative I suppose...

:D 
  • I am enjoying Radio Paradise very much at the moment, nice mix of mostly rock (but quite eclectic & interesting).

I am playing the OGG 192 stream through foobar, and the SQ is the best I have heard from a radio station on the internetz.
  • edited December 2011

• I am enjoying Radio Paradise very much at the moment, nice mix of mostly rock (but quite eclectic & interesting).

I am playing the OGG 192 stream through foobar, and the SQ is the best I have heard from a radio station on the internetz.
    That's a pretty cool discovery, Alan.

I'll be listening to it again tomorrow.
  • And, you're right, the 192k OGG stream sounds excellent. I just got it working via VLC media player on the Mac.
  • I've been enjoying radio paradise a lot lately, and found out they get commission if you go to Amazon or CDBaby through their own links, even if you don't buy what you initially saw. The links are on the artist page, which you go to through the playlist page.