Bang and Olufsen speakers in a charity shop for a few euros...worth a punt?

I live in rural France and occasionally help out at a British run charity shop for animals. I popped in the other day and they have been donated an old hifi system (1960's/70's) with a pair of Bang and Olufsen speakers in wooden cabinets. The cabinets are not in great condition but could be refurbed. Big floorstanders but only 4 ohm. Model name is Beovox 2400 Passive Speakers produced from 1967 to 72. Worth a punt ..?? They're only 20 watts RMS and 35 watts max 

I have a bit of a thing for vintage speakers. How would they work well with a 50 watt 8 ohm Inca Tech Claymore. I could try them out before buying to see if they work okay. Maybe they are not powerful enough for the Claymore

Comments

• Worth a punt I would think.
    Like you, I have a thing for big old speakers. Those ones look like they could be fun!
    The pictures I can see of this model all have their cone surrounds in tact, which is good news. Hopefully rubber instead of foam.
    Do get the grills off to check and test all the drivers tho (just by putting your ear against each while they play at low volumes). Finding replacements for those oval midranges could be tricky if one of those has gone.
    I don’t like the look of the tweeter unit, but I rarely do with speakers of this vintage. They often seem to sound spitty, but for a few euros you can’t go wrong. :-)
    I would think they’ll be ok power wise as long as you don’t really push them.
    Let us know how you get on.
  • Most often, with BO speaker the cones drop and then we get true BO. I hate them all that I heard were lacking in Bass and had a far to ear cracking top.
    I always thought there gear looked good but often not so good.
    A old mate still has is B&O TV with converters on it he says he think it better, but all of us mates, see he hates opening "THE WALLET".
  • Well I picked these up from the charity shop and got them home. The design of the speakers has sealed very skinny grey speaker wire going into the back of the cabinets with no way of knowing which is positive and which is negative? Helpful from B&O.....not!!!

I had read that you can remove the bass cone from the front of the cabinet to access the speaker wires internally, but after being bolted and maybe glued in position since 1969, there was no way those bass cones were coming out!

I connected up the speakers to my Claymore expecting a nice sound but it seems they are knackered. Bass only on one speaker and treble/mid range only on the other? Tried swapping the speaker wires over and made no difference. I’m guessing the capacitors are knackered? No obvious or easy way to open the cabinets up, so these old B&O speakers are off to the dechetterie (French recycling centre).
    Shame but not worth the bother!
    Now to try and revive my gorgeous retro Dual CL160’s!!
  • I had the first Claymore at home in Canvey Island running Tannoy Buckingham's in a end terrace house, thank the boss the neighbour next door was a holiday let. o:)
    And I am sad to say my first wife was deaf, but she could feel the bass, Canvey Mayor  reported mild earth quakes that year. And on the Magnum A100 is was bloody scarier.  >:)
  • edited October 2021
    But now I am running  anew A40 on Royd's, and do believe is sound mush better and bass from the floor standing speakers is amazing, Alan got them for a £100.00 a bargain, and no smoke yet.
    Dave you have try this new A40 on your Royd's soon, and gives us a mini review, OK it will take Digital lies and Ugly Music.
    As another note it takes 4 days to build these beasties I have ISS1 PCB that are for sale like the one Quickie made.
    ISS2 has a few bits added so I can make a integrated amp with Phono on etc.
    ISS1 is 3 PCB's
    ISS2 is 5 PCB's

http://www.audiochews.com/discussion/2527/prototype-a-artwork-by-paul-quick#latest
  • yellsub66 said:
    Well I picked these up from the charity shop and got them home. The design of the speakers has sealed very skinny grey speaker wire going into the back of the cabinets with no way of knowing which is positive and which is negative? Helpful from B&O.....not!!!

I had read that you can remove the bass cone from the front of the cabinet to access the speaker wires internally, but after being bolted and maybe glued in position since 1969, there was no way those bass cones were coming out!

I connected up the speakers to my Claymore expecting a nice sound but it seems they are knackered. Bass only on one speaker and treble/mid range only on the other? Tried swapping the speaker wires over and made no difference. I’m guessing the capacitors are knackered? No obvious or easy way to open the cabinets up, so these old B&O speakers are off to the dechetterie (French recycling centre).
    Hey ho.
    Always a risk with older speakers.
    I often find there's a driver or two blown.
    Half of them gone is a bit of a bummer though!
    At least you paid peanuts.
  • B&O, in this case means, Blown and Out!
  • cj66 said:
    B&O, in this case means, Blown and Out!

indeed!!

• Docfoster said:
    yellsub66 said:
    Well I picked these up from the charity shop and got them home. The design of the speakers has sealed very skinny grey speaker wire going into the back of the cabinets with no way of knowing which is positive and which is negative? Helpful from B&O.....not!!!

Hey ho.

Well I didn’t actually pay for them, just borrowed them to test them out as I help out in the shop.

• yellsub66 said:
    Docfoster said:
    yellsub66 said:

Hey ho.

Well I didn’t actually pay for them, just borrowed them to test them out as I help out in the shop.
    Ah. Even better.
    And, well played!