The Uglymusic guide to jazz (for @ordinaryman)

Do you know John Coltrane's Giant Steps?

Let me know what you think of this first recommendation.

Comments

• Yes.
    And I like it.
    I even own it (twice).
  • edited November 2021
    From the same kind of era.
    Charles Mingus - Blues and Roots
    Both of these were early discoveries in acoustic jazz as my taste became wider than fusion.
    I was also listening to free improv in the back rooms of pubs in and around Brixton. It never made as much sense recorded as it did live.
  • Docfoster said:
    Yes.
    And I like it.
    I even own it (twice).

So good you owned it twice? :):smile:
    What other Coltrane do you have?
  • My son had a nice Hornby.... oh hang on, that's coal train >:)
  • What's his favourite track? :s
  • Blue Train grew on him slowly, he said it was a sleeper :)
  • Take The Coltrane. You'll be Miles Ahead :)
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    Yes.
    And I like it.
    I even own it (twice).

So good you owned it twice? :):smile:
    What other Coltrane do you have?
    Yes. I have the CD and also some audiophile high gramme vinyl.
    I also have A Love Supreme. Which I find a little...inaccessible.
  • How do the CD and audiophile high price vinyl compare?
    The first time (few times?) I heard A Love Supreme, I loved it, but didn't have a clue what was going on! Maybe try some of Coltrane's stuff between GS and ALS? Coltrane (the album with the blue cover) is one that grabbed me early on.
  • Thank you, out of the two, Mingus is the best for me. Coltrane a bit of a reach? I will continue to listen though. Next thing to do is find the Mingus on vinyl as its my listening medium. Maybe I'm just a "fusion" kind of person?
  • OK. That's fine. We like what we like, and jazz has been a life-long journey for me, starting in my mid-teens.
    I'll think of some more.
    Glad you like the Mingus, BTW. I was given a vinyl copy years back by someone who found it too avant-garde for their taste!
  • Something a little more fusioney. Something that hooked me back in the 70s.
    John Abercrombie - Timeless

• Having now watched a few of his you tube vids cant understand how I missed him, right up my street. Thank you Just goes to prove its always good to ask!
  • He's easy to miss. Nearly all his work is on ECM and purist jazz labels, rather than the more obvious rock and fusion ones. At times, I think he is my favourite guitarist. Bill Frisell was, but I'm less keen on his Americana-flavoured material.
  • Let's see if you like Jakob Bro. There's only live material from his recent work on YT. But this is fairly representative:

• Miles Davis - A Tribute To Jackson

Possibly John McLaughlin's finest hour?
  • uglymusic said:
    Something a little more fusioney. Something that hooked me back in the 70s.
    John Abercrombie - Timeless

Don't fall down in shock Dave but I have this. Found from my liking of Jan Hammer and JdJ.
    I do like fusion so keep posting anything that fits that title, learning mode on!

• Not a total shock. It's a great electric album, and we've had a bit of overlap before.
    Have you tried the Miles album, above? It's as rocky as he ever got.
  • While we're doing the fusion thing, I got thinking about the albums I still occasionally listen to from that era.
    How about this? I know I've posted about it before, but some time ago:
    With Jan Hammer again. And insane drumming from Tony Williams.

• I have this album and just love it. along with schooldays and if this guitar could only talk? Thank you. Miles Davis I struggle with. Moments of brilliance and then........lost.
  • Interesting about the Miles. Is that generally about Miles or specifically about Jack Johnson?
  • You know what, I'm unsure, Trumpet isn't my first choice. Not sure about some of it but will give it further listening. I have always been driven by the bass and guitar. Pathetic I know. Thank you for your time. I think its time to cease, as I think I am possibly wasting your knowledge and time.
  • You're never wasting my time. It's a pleasure thinking differently about music.
    Saying you're driven by bass and guitar reminds me of when I used to think I liked music with electric bass, but not with acoustic bass. Which makes me wonder how that barrier melted for me. And it also reminds me that it doesn't matter if there is what I'm thinking of as a barrier.
    For me, music is a lifelong journey of exploration. For others, music is a source of comfort, fun, sociability... lots of different experiences.
  • I have found the journey you have given me rewarding. Not always to my taste, but interesting just the same. Yes, comfort, fun and exploration is rewarding.  To be honest as you say "lots of different experiences" mine is very different to yours, that's how it should be I think ? Its always nice for me to hear something new. A grand recharge, very much needed.
  • Cool. Thanks! 
  • Strange goings on, have found myself going back to the Miles Davis on more than one occasion. Maybe a bit of a "grower" who knows?
  • Good news. Stay with it. It's fantastic!
  • Ordered from Discogs and waiting for, Miles Davis and Thelonius Monk on vinyl. We will see as the youtube stuff was a little bit addictive. Not much choice in my price range I have to add!
  • Good to hear!
    I hope you enjoy it.
  • So, Iles Davis and Thelonius Monk arrived today. My intention is to give them a bit of a clean and listen, I'm sure its going to be interesting!
  • A nice collection thanks.
  • So, Iles Davis and Thelonius Monk arrived today. My intention is to give them a bit of a clean and listen, I'm sure its going to be interesting!
    How are you getting on with Miles and Monk?
  • Quite well I think. Listened to them both a few times and started to understand/enjoy more than I thought I might previously, so well done for the recommendation. I have to confess I haven't "listened" to music for several weeks now, it happens some times. Reverted back to my other love of reading with radio paradise in the background bringing up whatever. That and going thru Sky  Arts back catalogue of portrait/landscape artist of the year and the architecture ones. The music will return, it always does when its ready!
  • Which Miles and Monk did you buy?
  • Miles, Working with and monk, Something in blue.
  • I don't know the Monk. If you like the Miles, three other albums were recorded over the same two days. 
  • I like them both, the monk is just short snappy renditions. Witch I like. The miles I will have to investigate, for the other albums you mention. I believe you don't use vinyl and I'm not surprised, particularly with regard to price and decent copies offered on web sites. For me its the the medium I grew up with and love, so it takes a bit longer.
  • Yeah. Monk often is quite concise. 

No, I'm 100% digital, but don't tell Colin ;)
  • Purchased a couple more "monk" to day from the interweb, man prices for so called VGC original vinyl isn't cheap No wonder people stream, lets hope they are mint! as I really don't want to go to the dark side! Whatever happened to WHSmiths and sorting through the sale items? Before most of your time I suspect.
  • edited February 2022
    Excellent! More Monk is good Monk  :)

I'm sticking with cheap digital. 
  • Mingus, youtube, wow!!!
  • Mingus! Now you're talking!
  • I have no idea of what I'm listening to most of the time, just let youtube go but this I really enjoyed, why? I have no idea!
  • At his best, Mingus has everything. He bridged Ellington and the avant-garde, composed and improvised, while being probably the greatest double bassist of all time.