Buzzing speakers

Shortly after getting my Ap30 I purchased a LDA-PH1 phono stage to go with it. Yesterday whilst reading I noticed a faint buzz though the speakers (nothing much) with everything on and nothing playing. I switched off the amp, buzz still there. Switched of every thing at the mains, buzz stopped. Switched back on buzz reappeared, switch off phono, buzz goes. What I don't understand is why would the speakers buzz when the amp is tuned off, i.e. no feed any ideas?

Comments

• edited May 2022
    Earth loop!

What are your existing earth connections regarding the turntable, phono stage and amp?
    Phono input is the most sensitive to any kind of electrical noise and could be simply showing up a noisy appliance on the same ring.

OR...

You have audiophile bees in your speakers that only get excited when they think you'll be playing a vinyl.. :D
  • Turntable earthed to phono stage and own13amp plug, Amp NVA all acrylic, no earthing point, earthed via mains lead? not sure.
    As for the bees, every time I put on some vinyl they do tend to swarm! They love it.
  • Have you tried digital? The bees hate it!
  • Faulty on/off switch on the amp.? 
  • Bees and vinyl are fundamental to life, go wash your mouth out ;}
  • Switch, yes a possibility and yet you (I) would expect the light on amp to come on/ flicker. Maybe not?
  • edited May 2022
    How long did you switch the amp off for.? 

If only 10 seconds or so it would probably still run on until the power supply capacitors have fully discharged. 

If the switch was duff, it might not be switching it off. Unlikely, but possible. 

One thing for certain is your not going to get any noises from the speakers unless it's powered up  :)

• Tomorrow I'm going to try a different amp, see if its still the same. Thankfully its its not enough to stop me listening, but once heard hard to forget!
  • Try running a wire from the screen of a phono plug on the AP30 (the outside bit) to mains earth. 
  • Will do, tonight I will  just listen to a bit of music, thanks for your input. Will report back.
  • Bees and vinyl are fundamental to life, go wash your mouth out ;}
    I thought they were both endangered  :D
  • Only by the dark lord and its minions. 
  • So the outcome,
    quickie,  switched amp off and listened, should have left it a bit longer. You were right, all ok no buzz.
    cj66, found a long extension lead and moved to a different outlet, worked so something on that other one is noisy.
    Note to self, do not evaluate, scrutinise your setup after opening the second bottle!
    Thanks everyone.
  • Could have been even worse if you had drunk the second bottle  :)
  • Some of us know what we're talking about. You just have to figure out who they are  :s
  • I have found that some mains borne internet thing (digital lies) cause some problem, so now I fit a twin CML filter in all my kit problem fixed.
    You have one in you A40 Paul.
  • Opened this thread expecting to read a glowing review written by a Manc*.

*This joke has now been returned to Peter Kay.
  • Docfoster said:
    Opened this thread expecting to read a glowing review written by a Manc*.

*This joke has now been returned to Peter Kay.

I only wish I understood the reference.

Signed: A Southerner.
  • #1) Ohhh it's reeally got me buzzin' man.

#2) Awright, caaalm down, caaaalm down.....

Saying that in my head instantly brought up "Yer twistin' my melon maaan".

• Do I detect a Doc Foster Epic Thread Drift?