Hello,

Hello everyone, my name is Simon. I joined Audio Chews a few years ago. I found the forum when researching a reputable repair for my beloved Claymore which I bought new in 1986; one of the channels had stopped working. Unbelievably for me, I found Colin, who offered to look at my Claymore. I sent it to him and Colin phoned me offering not only to repair it, but update it to new heights of performance. The Claymore was operated on and returned to me, wow!! it sounded fantastic and has been used most days ever since, approximately 5 years. 

I have converted have a tandem garage below my house into a listening room, so wanted a further amp from Colin, so I have just ordered a Q20 amp and pre amp. The room is approx. 11ft x 15ft, so I think that the Q20 should be perfect. I will be using them with a pair of Neat Motive SX1 floor standers, rated at 87db, 6 ohms. Fed by an Innuos Zen streamer which is also has CD 1TB drive. Analogue wise, I've got and Michell Syncro also from 1986, and a heavily 'Funk Firm' updated Technics 1500c, which sounds superb. 

I noticed on the EWA website that there are some new amps being developed, but have not been able to get a reply when I completed the contact form asking for further information. Does anyone have any information re these new amps? I am interested because I will need an amp for another room, as I am in the process of selling the existing amp a Roksan Blak amp/dac on ebay.

Comments

• edited August 2022
    Welcome!
    The new amps are, I think (and I'm just going on threads in this forum) A40, A50 and A100 power amps, a pre and a new Claymore. Or are they M40, etc?
    Your Listening Room system sounds as if it should be pretty good.
    I have the forerunners of the Q20 and pre, and they are great. The pre is in my main rig, while I have one power amp in my office system and another awaiting a pair of speakers and possibly a bit of digital front end for another room. I have a pile of streamer and DAC options, but I'm not sure any of them are really up to the power amp.
  • Thanks very much for the welcome and the info re new amps, that's quite a list!

I'm really looking forward to hearing the Q20. As I mentioned in my previous post, I love my Claymore. The Roksan Blak I have for sale is approximately £3000 new (although I didn't pay that for it) but I prefer the Claymore sound. To my ears the Claymore has greater detail, better imaging, but still retains the bass oomph of the Roksan, not bad for a 36 year old amp!
  • I have to admit, I'm not even sure I've heard a Claymore. At least, not since my reviewing days 30 years ago. 

But Colin's amps all have bass ooomph! My monoblocks were even tuned for a little more oomph! I didn't have the sub at the time. 
  • Yes, Colin happily told me that he had instilled more oomph when he had it back. However, it is still beautifully delicate and insightful when the music dictates. I'm hoping that the Q20, although less powerful will be more of the same.