How long does it take for your SECA to come on song?

I've been making some changes to my system over the past few months.

The sound is getting better. That's great. But I've noticed how the SECA amps are really showing how they take an hour or more to come on song.

Now, I don't think there's anything wrong with the chaps. I think it just takes time for them to unravel all the goodness I'm feeding them. Or am I kidding myself? Should it really take 90 minutes for the amps to sound at their very best? 

Comments

• edited February 2023
    Even bog standard amps take a few minutes to reach optimum operating temperature.
    My DIY class A amps take 20 to 30 minutes.
    I think 90 mins sounds a tad lengthy unless you factor in your hearing adjusting to the amps warming up. Maybe a little expection bias creeping as well?

You could try sliding an insulated temp. wire, from a multi-meter, just inside the grill slots and see how long it takes for the inside temperature to stabilise, may give some insight.
  • Bog standard amps: Yep.

I think 90 minutes could be too long, too. Hence the post. A bit of thinking out loud, as I do sometimes here.

I don't want it to be 90 minutes. That makes a listening session a major undertaking. 

Not sure about hearing adjustment, but could go with expectation bias. Maybe.

This morning, having slept on it, I think it's probably the old thing of digging out those old favourite recordings, as opposed to music. Listening to sq, not music. Playing a fantastic recording and thinking that the amps are coming more on song. 

Having had these amps for years now, I'm happy with the thought that they take 20 minutes or so to stop sounding dry and an hour to absolutely get to the state where they are at their best - kind of relaxed and muscular at the same time.

Thanks for your thoughts, Chris. You may be right.
  • It does depend on the ambient temperature and the quality of the music none of this digital lies garbage. Or Ugly Music. Luv yer Dave
  • If it's anything to do with the quality of the music, they'll take around 5 minutes. Truth!  :D
  • The conduct you're describing together with your SECA amps taking time to attain their gold standard sound high-quality is not uncommon. Some audio lovers accept as true with that sure components, consisting of amplifiers, may also benefit from a heat-up duration to perform at their high-quality. This heat-up time permits the internal circuitry and additives to stabilize and attain their most useful running conditions.
  • Welcome, William. Yep. All of that  :)
  • uglymusic said:

The sound is getting better. That's great. But I've noticed how the SECA amps are really showing how they take an hour or more to come on song.

Now, I don't think there's anything wrong with the chaps. I think it just takes time for them to unravel all the goodness I'm feeding them. Or am I kidding myself? Should it really take 90 minutes for the amps to sound at their very best? 
    Just a thought...Why should it be the amplification ? Perhaps it's another component in your audio chain ? 🤔
  • Smiffy said:
    uglymusic said:

Just a thought...Why should it be the amplification ? Perhaps it's another component in your audio chain ? 🤔
    The SECAs are the one thing that aren't powered up 24/7.
  • uglymusic said:
    Smiffy said:
    uglymusic said:

The SECAs are the one thing that aren't powered up 24/7.
    Hairy muff 👍
  • My TOCA Seca 20 warms up after around 20 mins but my TOCA Seca 50 monos I give around 40. My 20 is up for sale if anyone fancies it. Colin has given it some love the end of last year This has a granite faceplate
    Regards Bill 
  • Hi Bill (are you that Bill?)

About 40 seems about right for my 30-watt monos, although sometimes it seems longer.

Put your TOCA 20 in For Sale. It'll be a bit more prominent there. 
  • Yes Dave it is that Bill, and having the 50W here a few weeks ago they are very heavy, lots of mass on the heatsinks so time to warm up is longer than the 30W of the 20W, the 300W took about 30mins if the room was about 22C. The heatsink on them was 1.6M tall 300mm wide and the fins where 189mm deep and 8 of them.
    At 180Kgs the biggest monster I ever made.
  • Interesting your point about the overall mass of the amps, Col.