Hello!

Well look who's here...!
I have not logged in to 'chews, or anywhere else for a long time...
Anyway here I am.
I've just set up a new second second system in my spare room / art studio.
I've had the Toca Seca for a while but haven't been able to let it stretch its legs since its One4 descendent took over in the main system.
The speakers are one of my DIY prototypes I made a few years ago using Monacor dual concentrics (in this case SP-308CX).
Initially I was running directly off my laptop / phone, but something was very lacking so I recently purchased a second hand Asus Xonar STU soundcard / DAC (sitting atop the left speaker). It's pretty old, but I love the Asus Xonar sound, so thought I'd play safe.
Hooked up with some very old NVA SSC interconnect and some TQ Black speaker cables.

The Xonar STU came with a bog standard switching PSU (below, right), so out of interest, last week I ordered a regulated linear one. It arrived today (below, left).
I am quite surprised by how much difference I think I'm hearing with the linear PSU in place. Just overall better. Anyone else compared different types of PSU...?

Comments

• Hi Ben glad to see you back.
  • Hello stranger!

Good to see you back.

LPSUs are better than switching power supplies, in my experience. I've written somewhere here about how much difference a cheapo Chinese LPSU had on my audio server. It was a bit of a surprise.

Colin has a mega 14 design for me that I have to corral the money for. I'm looking forward to having that driving both sides of my Allo Digione Signature and my DAC.
  • AntiCrap said:
    Hi Ben glad to see you back.
    Are you still here...?!
    ;-)
  • uglymusic said:
    Hello stranger!

Good to see you back.

LPSUs are better than switching power supplies, in my experience. I've written somewhere here about how much difference a cheapo Chinese LPSU had on my audio server. It was a bit of a surprise.

Colin has a mega 14 design for me that I have to corral the money for. I'm looking forward to having that driving both sides of my Allo Digione Signature and my DAC.
    Thanks for that Dave. Good to know I'm probably not delusional. Not all the time anyway.
    The PSU I've ended up with is not from China, but from those well known electronic and audio giants: The Norwegians.
    I look forward to reading about your Wonfor power station.
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Hello stranger!

Good to see you back.

Thanks for that Dave. Good to know I'm probably not delusional. Not all the time anyway.
    The PSU I've ended up with is not from China, but from those well known electronic and audio giants: The Norwegians.
    Not delusional about that, anyway!  o:)  >:)  :)

From Norway via eBay?
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Hello stranger!

Good to see you back.

Not delusional about that, anyway!  o:)  >:)  :)

From Norway via eBay?
    For once, no.
    Direct from some stockist in Northampton.
  • That's the Northampton near Molde?
  • Relative to Auckland, yes.👍