My garden speaker cables have corroded

They and the speakers were left out over the winter because, well, taking them in didn't happen.
I thought to begin with that the speakers had corroded, but after a bit of scraping and spraying, it looked as if the cables were the culprit:
Cue more scraping and spraying.
Cutting back the cables, there was evidence of the corrosion spreading down the cable - rainwater running down inside the plastic covering, perhaps?
Anyhow, my unspeakable speakers survived (I almost threw them out when I saw the corrosion for the first time), and the system is playing (watch out neighbours, I have Ornette Coleman albums!) fine.
My question is: do speaker cables usually do this in the wild (or, at least, in my back garden, over the winter)? 
Should I have bought something other than cheap cable from Amazon?

Comments

• Sorry Dave the air at yours is full of mixed salts sprays it will eat most metal two good stable metal idealy are Gold and Platinum.
    You could use Cu and then Ni plated then Au plated Cu wire .
    It is available used manly in high frequency radio kit.
    OK not cheap  
    The other is to send audio via fibre optic and a converter water tight box.
  • Thanks for your detailed answer, Col. I was wondering how much the salt air might be responsible.
    Maybe just replace the cables from time-to-time. Like the fibre optic idea, though.
  • The optic can be done in analog
  • You're having me on!
  • No using old fashion stereo decode and a amp encapsulated in resin.
    KISS design.
  • I looked at high power laser to not only send signal down fibre but to power the amp.
    God the price was silly but it would be fun.