Kirchoff MC/MM Pre

edited September 4 in DIY
Kirchoff Phono MC MM pre ready PCB.
All leaded except 4 bits.
Easy build selectable loading and gain with DIP switches.
Write to Hifi Answers for pricing of PCB or check with me.
Andy Smith has the first proto type.
Alan Elsdon will have second and Uncle Clive will have next maybe they can write about it.
Bit not including chassis and PCB less than £50 all Rs are 0.1 or 1% 

I try and get pic up on chews I can never get it right sorry folks and Uncle Dave.

Sorry about my writing eyes gone crazy again. 

Comments

• Just email me anything you'd like to put on Chews, Colin. I'll look after it for you.
  • Thanks Dave of to Devon for few days need a holiday. Hope to see Quickie and Andy.
  • Have a good one, Col. Say hello to Quickie. Er, which Andy?
  • uglymusic said:
    Have a good one, Col. Say hello to Quickie. Er, which Andy?
    Moi 😉
  • Sorry to come to the party so late in this discussion.

So yeah, I had an idea for replacing the Dac IC (it's the Analog Devices chip that AudioNote use in their DtoA converters) signal step up transformer. You can basically play about with MC Sut's to some effect, but Col mentioned the attributes of his phonostage board and I thought I might be able to fettle it into use.

Finally...Finally!!
    After a short chat with Colin this afternoon I managed to shoe-horn/piggy back the board into place within the ANK 4.1Dac I have here (it doesn't look pretty 🙈😄) to begin testing.

Wow !
    Isn't this hobby just fantastic !!

Just like an Onion, each step up is like peeling back yet another veiled layer 🤯

• I need time to pin down the whole revelation. I hate making quick judgements as so many things can come into play (plus, to be sure I always need to play devil's advocate with myself to be absolutely sure of what I'm hearing).

What I do initially notice is the sound stage is being thrown over the top of my head ! 😳
  • Smiffy said:
    Wow !
    Isn't this hobby just fantastic !!

Just like an Onion, each step up is like peeling back yet another veiled layer 🤯

Yep. My kit has more or less been fixed for some years, but I'm finding PSUs are the thing for me, peeling back layers etc.
  • Smiffy said:
    I need time to pin down the whole revelation. I hate making quick judgements as so many things can come into play (plus, to be sure I always need to play devil's advocate with myself to be absolutely sure of what I'm hearing).

What I do initially notice is the sound stage is being thrown over the top of my head ! 😳

Yeah. I had a similar thing with my SECAs a few months back. It seemed that they were sometimes taking over an hour to competely come on song. Turned out it was probabaly me putting better recordings on as I had my listening sessions (thanks, Chris for the pointer).

Isn't it great when the sound stage gets bigger? I listen to a lot of small group jazz, and getting the scale and recording room right adds so much enjoyment.
  • uglymusic said:
    Smiffy said:
    I need time to pin down the whole revelation. I hate making quick judgements as so many things can come into play (plus, to be sure I always need to play devil's advocate with myself to be absolutely sure of what I'm hearing).

Yeah. I had a similar thing with my SECAs a few months back. It seemed that they were sometimes taking over an hour to competely come on song. Turned out it was probabaly me putting better recordings on as I had my listening sessions (thanks, Chris for the pointer).

Isn't it great when the sound stage gets bigger? I listen to a lot of small group jazz, and getting the scale and recording room right adds so much enjoyment.
    It's all about hearing what the artist/producer intended. These people don't make music because it's a chore - they experience the raw viceral and emotional way these instruments (or sound processors) communicate.
    But yeah, it's great to get that one step closer - and when you hear a life long  known album and it comes across as though it's been remastered, you know you've hit the jackpot.
    There was one evening a few weeks back where the system kept me up 'till 3am 😊
    And the way it was resolving detail at such a low volume level is quite the testament to SQ.
  • Smiffy said:
    uglymusic said:
    Smiffy said:

It's all about hearing what the artist/producer intended. These people don't make music because it's a chore - they experience the raw viceral and emotional way these instruments (or sound processors) communicate.
    But yeah, it's great to get that one step closer - and when you hear a life long  known album and it comes across as though it's been remastered, you know you've hit the jackpot.
    And the way it was resolving detail at such a low volume level is quite the testament to SQ.

Except for those who are only in it for the money (thank you, Mr Zappa).
    Agreed on old favourites. Finding new stuff within them... That's somewhere at the core of why I spend money on this thing.
    3am? Not really possible in this house, with my wife attempting to sleep directly above the speakers :/
  • uglymusic said:
    Smiffy said:
    uglymusic said:
    Smiffy said:

Except for those who are only in it for the money (thank you, Mr Zappa).
    Agreed on old favourites. Finding new stuff within them... That's somewhere at the core of why I spend money on this thing.
    3am? Not really possible in this house, with my wife attempting to sleep directly above the speakers :/
    You got bunk beds ?? 😆
  • Yeah. Royds on the lower bunk, wife on the top one :s
  • 😂👏👏