The TOCA SECA Life...❤️

So I'm curious about what my fellow Seca users here are running for their Front end source and Preamplification.

C'mon peeps, spill the beans... 😎👌

Comments

• RPi 4/Allo Digione Signature/LPSU/Snakeoil OS
    • SMSL M300 Mk2 DAC
    • TQ Listen Pre-amp
  • A re-plinthed Lenco L75 with improved bearing sporting a clone of the Supatrac tone arm which carries a Goldring rebuilt Koetsu Red.

Phonostage is a diy Big Bottle Audio BB3 jfet, mosfet valve beauty which works with both MC & MM cartridges.

Pre-amp at the moment is jfet Nutube pre with rather a lot of gain. Also used in rotation are a Salas DCG3, VTA SP14(valve) and a couple of other pre-amps.
  • @Smiffy What do you use? Or what are you planning to use?
  • uglymusic said:
    @Smiffy What do you use? Or what are you planning to use?
    Hiya,
    I use a few digital (getting more true with every passing week 😉) sources. Predominantly YTube that gets squired optically from my Oled TV - and other various 16bit Red book cd players I have lying around here.
    These are fed into an Audio Note Kits (ANK) transformer coupled output DAC 4.1 S.E
    The Dac then line drives a silver wound transformer coupled Preamp by Music First.
    Output of this injects whatever SECA amp or Claymore/Kit Amp from Colin I'm using at the time.
    Interconnects are of the ABCaudio variety  from Alan.
  • That's a lot of kit!
    How do you find the SQ from YT? FWIW, I find Qobuz as the best streaming solution and very difficult to tell the difference from local files.
    On kit again, I'm looking forward to getting a custom power supply for the RPi/Allo Sig and DAC next week from Colin, if I can get up to London. So I'll be getting better power at the client end.
  • uglymusic said:
    That's a lot of kit!
    How do you find the SQ from YT? FWIW, I find Qobuz as the best streaming solution and very difficult to tell the difference from local files.
    On kit again, I'm looking forward to getting a custom power supply for the RPi/Allo Sig and DAC next week from Colin, if I can get up to London. So I'll be getting better power at the client end.
    Yeah, it can vary I suppose but the signal always gets unearthed by the Dac and delicately delivered to line level, after which Colin's magic is sprinkled over most of the other components and it all shines through wonderously.
    Currently running a set of KEF 207 Reference speakers (retail @£15k)

Currently using the Seca20 amp while the 50's get sorted out (a good thing they've NOT both blown up like someone here wished upon me 🙄 -now why would someone say that after selling you the  gear?  First I've ever heard of the like.
    Quite possibly, they're mentally unstable from a bump to the head).
  • You bought the SECA 50s ?
  • ian said:
    You bought the SECA 50s ?
    Yup !
  • Marra49 said:
    A re-plinthed Lenco L75 with improved bearing sporting a clone of the Supatrac tone arm which carries a Goldring rebuilt Koetsu Red.

Phonostage is a diy Big Bottle Audio BB3 jfet, mosfet valve beauty which works with both MC & MM cartridges.

Pre-amp at the moment is jfet Nutube pre with rather a lot of gain. Also used in rotation are a Salas DCG3, VTA SP14(valve) and a couple of other pre-amps.
    Hi,
    So you went the PTP route huh? Nice!
    What bearing upgrade did you do to it if I may ask?
    Oh, and the SupaTrak...NOW you've got my attention !! Lol 😃
    I need to hear more of this... If you have the time, please embellish with more details 🙏

• Smiffy said:
    ian said:
    Yup !

And they swallow more electricity than my 30watters :)

I bet they sound fantastic! More grunt than mine.
  • Smiffy said:
    Marra49 said:
    A re-plinthed Lenco L75 with improved bearing sporting a clone of the Supatrac tone arm which carries a Goldring rebuilt Koetsu Red.

Hi,
    I need to hear more of this... If you have the time, please embellish with more details 🙏

Hi Smiffy; no not the PTP route just the standard top plate in a large Baltic Birch ply plinth which allowed me to fit two arms. The bearing is a version by Jolyon(LencoHeaven) and is a beefed up housing but uses the original spindle.
    I started a thread on LencoHeaven after reading about the Supatrac arm and Richard the designer kindly joined in and gave out snippets of information. A number of people built variations of the arm; some beautiful creations. One of the best things I've made opening up the soundstage and allowing so much detail to come through.
    Lots of information and pictures on Lenco Heaven,
  • Marra49 said:
    Smiffy said:
    Marra49 said:

Hi,

Hi Smiffy; no not the PTP route just the standard top plate in a large Baltic Birch ply plinth which allowed me to fit two arms. The bearing is a version by Jolyon(LencoHeaven) and is a beefed up housing but uses the original spindle.
    I started a thread on LencoHeaven after reading about the Supatrac arm and Richard the designer kindly joined in and gave out snippets of information. A number of people built variations of the arm; some beautiful creations. One of the best things I've made opening up the soundstage and allowing so much detail to come through.
    Great, thanks for the info - will take a look at the thread 👍

The SupaTrak design is deffo the way to go I think. Just like Colin says sometimes 'KISS' design 👌
    I'm hoping to build my own sometime soon.
  • uglymusic said:
    Smiffy said:
    ian said:
    Yup !

They chuck out a fair amount of heat !
    I'll be fine come Winter 😊
    Phenomenal amplifiers and what they do.
    Not so much 'grunt' per-sé.
    What the Seca20's do, these do Seca20 plus 50% again 👌

Thing is though (and this is something I'm trying to find out from other users) the Seca design can only be fully realised when it's fed the best source possible.
  • Smiffy said:
    uglymusic said:
    Smiffy said:
    ian said:
    Yup !

Thing is though (and this is something I'm trying to find out from other users) the Seca design can only be fully realised when it's fed the best source possible.

I've got a pretty good front end, but not the best. But I've been doing a bit of tweaking, including a PSU from Colin, which I hope to collect from him this week.
  • And i can't wait to hear about Bunk Bed Ugly Music.
    It will be lovely to catch up on things, is that nice cafe still open near you?
    Smiffy I am going to Dave to the Lemon Slice cafe so don't get jealous. 

• Smiffy said:
    Marra49 said:
    Smiffy said:
    Marra49 said:

Hi,

Great, thanks for the info - will take a look at the thread 👍

The SupaTrak design is deffo the way to go I think. Just like Colin says sometimes 'KISS' design 👌
    I'm hoping to build my own sometime soon.
    Definitely worth the effort and I don't think that you will be disappointed.
  • AntiCrap said:
    And i can't wait to hear about Bunk Bed Ugly Music.

Hate hate hate 'chew... 😭

Have a slice for me pls Dave 🙏
  • uglymusic said:
    Smiffy said:
    uglymusic said:
    Smiffy said:
    ian said:
    Yup !

I've got a pretty good front end, but not the best. But I've been doing a bit of tweaking, including a PSU from Colin, which I hope to collect from him this week.
    Would be great if we could have our own little group bake-off huh !? 
  • AntiCrap said:

There are several around here. It’s so long since you were down here that I’ve forgotten where we went!
  • Smiffy said:
    AntiCrap said:

Hate hate hate 'chew... 😭

Have a slice for me pls Dave 🙏
    Two slices? Sounds like a great idea!
  • Smiffy said:
    uglymusic said:
    Smiffy said:
    uglymusic said:
    Smiffy said:
    ian said:
    Yup !

Would be great if we could have our own little group bake-off huh !? 

We've had them in the past, but not recently. Maybe something to think about if there's enough interest.
  • Yeah, cool 👍