Grado PS1000 Headphones

edited September 2012 in Audio Chews
Bought myself a pair of these yesterday, first impressions are WOW, I'm absolutely amazed how much detail I can now hear. Anyone considering them, I can wholeheartedly recommend them. Not cheap, but to get the same details via speakers would cost thousands, and so much more of a pleasurable listen compared to HD800's.

Maybe even a bargain!

Happy listening.

Comments

• What do they cost?
  • Retail at £1,835, but got them a little over half price (don't tell the wife). I am seriously thinking of selling my speakers, and with the money buying a Naim Unitiqute and Neat Motive speakers to put in the snug, with hopefully £500 change. They really are that good, and personally I've always preferred listening via headphones, just feel they connect you with the music in a way that speakers can't.

Nice to have some decent sounds again!!!
  • Yikes!

That's some bill for a pair of headphones. But that's a good discount.
  • If they get you that close to the music then I understand why you might spend so much.

I listen to music on small speakers, which have no hope of accurately reproducing the scale and impact of a live event in real terms. But within their capabilities, they are insightful, faithful, less coloured than almost all other speakers, and get me so close to the artist/musician and their original intention. I just have to suspend disbelief a little and I'm right there.

I should think that really good 'phones will do exactly the same, possibly better than any speaker as they don't face the same challenges when they play music.

• Hi Alan, glad to hear that enjoying your music. As you say, that's what it's about. I'm sitting here in my recliner (old mans chair) listening to music through these fantastic headphones, via would you believe, an iPad, and I can't remember the last time I enjoyed music as much. Such a simple music replay system, yet such a FUN sound .It has taught me that I don't need to spend silly money to enjoy music.

Regards

Justin
  • Never tried head phones above £60, so I can't really idenitfy with this.
    Bujt from my experience, I think that even cheaper headphones sound great these days. No comparison to those I grew up listening to in the late 80s and 90s. As I've enthused before my £25 from Sainsbury's Senheiser ear buds sound extremely good. Also *PC user mode off* Apple do seem to make good music players - my iPhone for example *PC user mode back on*.
    Finally, I find headphone listening to be a whole different experience to speaker listening..

• Hi Docfoster, I think your right about most headphones sounding good, regardless of cost. I think the PS1000's maybe a little over the top (certainly the retail price) but my thinking was that I saved myself circa £9,000 on an equal pair of speakers!!!! That's how I justified them anyway. I know it's crude to say, but they even sound superb through an iPhone/iPad as well.

Regards to all.
  • Yep. If they're giving you a wonderful experience, they're worth every penny!
    Enjoy I say, enjoy.
    :-)
  • edited October 2012
    Enjoying these so much the Adam speakers are on ebay!! They absolutley rock!!
  • Wow!

I imagine you have a pretty revealing set-up there. FWIW, I'm not a headphone fan, but I can see why you've gone down that route.
  • Although those Adams are super-revealing, top-notch cans get you inside a recording in ways the speaker/room distortion frequently prevents. We've a number of customer who have gone down this route, and not looked back. For others, the joy of speakers is that visceral volume of moving air . . . complete with screwy interactions with the walls, floor and ceiling!
  • I am truly in audio heaven since these headphones came into my life. The Adams are very good with huge detail, but the only way i can describe listening through these headphones out of the Weiss dac, is it is like having the music in a syringe, and it being pumped straight into a vein! In a moment of frustration i was going to sell the Weiss, and had a good offer, but thankfully before i agreed to sell, i changed the filter settings, and found the sound i was after. It now, combined with the Grado's sounds absolutley magical. Happy days.