Listening to ...

Comments

• Who dis Irresistible Force?
  • Dusting off Pearl Jam - Ten
    Thanks to Radio Paradise playing Alive when I was in the shower this morning.

• Bunny Lee Presents the Late Great King Tubby
    I may not get through all five-odd hours of it :s

• After a glorious afternoon in the garden, kicking back with some Madeleine Peyroux and Crosby Stills and Nash....Light weight I know.
  • Whatever floats yer boat!
  • uglymusic said:
    Bunny Lee Presents the Late Great King Tubby

Seriously, those two are a match made in heaven.
    Superb stuff.
  • edited April 2022
    uglymusic said:
    Dusting off Pearl Jam - Ten

Ah , now you're speaking in words I understand. Still their best album, what a stonking debut!

Old prog for me today, volume cranked up.

• Today I have mostly been listening to... Jesse Winchester and Don Mclean.
  • cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:
    Dusting off Pearl Jam - Ten

Ah , now you're speaking in words I understand. Still their best album, what a stonking debut!

Old prog for me today, volume cranked up.

Ten: I'm absolutely in agreement. And I think it's stood the test of time better than Nevermind, which I preferred at the time.

Maybe it's time for me to reassimilate early Genesis. It's never done much for me, though.
  • Today I have mostly been listening to... Jesse Winchester and Don Mclean.

Now, you've got me. Jesse Winchester?
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Bunny Lee Presents the Late Great King Tubby

Seriously, those two are a match made in heaven.
    Superb stuff.

Yeah. Pretty good.
    I'm just getting ready for the subwoofer, you'll understand :)
  • Jessy Winchester, American/Canadian singer songwriter who wrote many songs preformed by both himself and others ,laid back country? southern rocky stuff...mmm
  • OK. Maybe not my kind of stuff, but I'll see if I can find some.
  • No ,I wouldn't think for one minute it would be! Having had a crap morning (old man rant) I have mostly been listening to...Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam and Trapeze. What can I tell you, Its cathartic!
  • Music is great for diluting crap days :smile:
    Pearl Jam: See earlier in this thread!
  • edited April 2022
    I'm keen to know what our resident prog fans make of Brad Mehldau's latest. Jacob's Ladder.

Oops! Try this:

• Yup got the Pearl Jam from your post, reminded me to get it out and play! Jacobs' Ladder, freaky .
  • edited April 2022
    Pearl Jam: always glad to remind people of good stuff.
    Jacobs' Ladder is a bit strange, but it does have chunks of prog in it, apparently ;). Name that prog! (Without using Google :))
  • No chance! I suspect that I have a "prog" side but never listened to music in that way ie by genres.. just bought and listened to what I like!  Having said that I suppose Yes, Camel, Genesis, Jethro Tull etc etc could be labelled as such. All of which I listen to. Whilst I understand the categories that apply to what we hear, Its always just been music to me.
  • Having just re read my post, I realized that it was condescending and I apologise.
  • No worries. I hadn't read it that way.
  • edited April 2022
    Bill Frisell - Gone, Just Like a Train
    Just as Bill started to dig into Americana. If pushed, he's my favourite guitarist.

• Somehow, LMS selected for me someone I've not listened to for a while:
    David S Ware - Surrendered

• Little feat afternoon, just love them, superb rhythm section, spellbinding vocals. What more could you want?
  • I'm a fan. I never saw the Lowell George lineup, but I did see them twice (I think) later on.
  • Envy, never managed to see them myself and for me the Lowell years are the best, imo.
  • Yep. The Lowell years were the best. 
  • Today I have been mostly going through my back catalogue of The Band. They were part of my "formative years" and just love them. Laidback funk comes to mind, particularly with "life is a carnival". once again , great rhythm section. Not to everybody's taste I know, bliss for me!! If you have never heard it give ago, its worth it for the horn section alone.
  • FWIW, I never really got into The Band. Maybe something to give another go to.
  • I love Clyde Stubblefield!

• edited April 2022
    The JBs!

Or whatever James Brown's band were called at the time (maybe it tells me in the video).
  • Material - Memory Serves
    I've had this since it came out in 1981. Then on vinyl. Now on CD. I think I've seen an HD version, too, but there are only so many times you can buy an album :#

• Rye Cooder for me today. Some early stuff, Vigilantly man etc. Into the valley, Border line, Bop till you drop and finally Buena vista social club, not for everyone.. great for me.
  • Add Chavez Ravine to that  :)
    I'm a huge fan.
  • Haven't heard that, will try and find it. Thanks
  • Just dug out Paris Texas and Into the Purple Valley, must organise my albums!
  • edited April 2022
    Chavez Ravine was one of my most played albums of the noughties. I was obsessed with it for a while :o
  • Sitting in the garden on this glorious afternoon, with a fine bottle of shiraz, ipad and enjoying some, Steve and the Seagulls, Dead South and wherever YouTube takes me on this tour!
  • Now a bit of the Average White Band, Level 42  mmmm.
  • Steve and the Seagulls? Dead South?
    You've got me there. But what do I know?  :)
  • Aaron Parks - Parks and Wreck

• Enjoying, Yes the first album, Rare bird and on a nostalgic treat, Heads Hands and Feet. I was in a band ....long long time ago and we opened for them. Heads hands and feet, Albert Lee remains one of my favourite guitarist to this day.
  • Albert Lee, I've heard of. But Heads, Hands and Feet is a new one on me.
    What instrument do you play?
  • No instrument for me , Just a lead singer and as it turned out, not a particularly good one! Ashton, Gardner and Dyke (resurrection shuffle), opened for them as well. Gave me a clue, then rehearsing before Free at the Lyceum Ballroom. When Paul rogers walked on to rehearse realized that I was crap. No more aspirations for me!
  • That was going to be a difficult comparison, I guess.
    My serious(-ish) attempt at learning alto sax, led to me knowing I was crap at the saxophone and would never be more than that. But, it did make me realise how brilliant a musician Art Pepper was. He's still my favourite alto player.
  • Billy Cobham - Crosswinds
    Returning to this stuff and enjoying it again.

• Stephan Micus - East of the Night

• Charles Mingus - Mingus Plays Piano

• Today I have mostly been listening to, The White Stripes and Gorillaz.
  • Trumystic - Dub Power