Listening to ...

Comments

• Must have been something I drank last night.
    Phoebe Bridgers - Punisher

I kind of enjoyed much of it. Putting it on the 'give it another listen' list.
  • edited August 2022
    OK. I am having, shall we say, an unusual day.
    Kim Gordon - No Home Record
    Probably need to give a blast on the big rig, downstairs.

• Thom Yorke's Anima got the thumbs-down.
  • It's a worrying trend Dave, a casual, curious listen to the original Golden Brown lead to over an hour of Dave Brubeck!
    Me, jazz, piano, naaaaaaaah....off to the shrink :#
  • The world is full of worrying trends, Chris.
  • Still no jazz.

Constantinople & Ablaye Cissoko - Traversées

• This is fun:
    Bill Frisell - Guitar in the Space Age
    Give it a go. Guaranteed No Ugliness!! :)

• We start the weekend with a favourite in the Ugly Household:
    John Hiatt - Mystic Pinball

The band are running on magic juice!
    What are you starting the weekend with?
  • Do like a bit of JH.

My morning started with...

• Allan Holdsworth version of the Softs, I think.
  • Indeed it is.

A bit of a Stranglers session this morning, their lesser known, more punk related output, more raw.
    A bit of a memory lane as they were a local band in my yoof.
  • I enjoyed the Soft Machine. I even liked the Holdsworth solo :o
  • In the garden with radio paradise. Love the fact that I don't know what's coming next, so much new music the fact that I can look up the playlist later and note the ones I really like, great.
  • ...and then you put those new finds from RP into Spotify or similar, hit "song radio" and it's off down the rabbit hole!
  • I think you maybe right :o
  • edited August 2022

• Pick of the day, pick up the pieces, Average White Band. YouTube. Groove on!
  • Always the pick of the day! They never touched those heights again, though, IMHO.
  • Amazing jazz piano trio album:

Brad Mehldau Trio - Ode

There are better, but if it's original jazz you want, this one's near the top. 
  • And now, to blow away the cobwebs, something equally amazing, but different from the above:

Tomas Fujiwara - Triple Double

The band doubles up on instrumentation, see: https://jazztimes.com/reviews/albums/tomas-fujiwara-triple-double/, hence the name.

It was called Downtown Jazz, but now they've all moved from Manhattan to Brooklyn. But Brooklyn Jazz means something else (are you following? :) ). 
  • edited September 2022
    Blind by The Icicle Works. Not a top ranking album by popular reaction but I like it for the very reasons it's criticised...

Easy start...

Let's go...

Blast off...

• I haven't a clue about The Icicle Works. I'll have to give it a listen later.
  • edited September 2022
    Pat Metheny - Unity Band

Good album, this one.
  • PLAY LOUD!
    The Comet is Coming - Hyper-Dimensional Expansion Beam

• Have spent the afternoon going through the Bands back catalogue (miss the vinyl) most impressive Life is a carnival featuring Alan Toussant's arrangement. Worth a listen in my book.
  • cj66 said:
    Blind by The Icicle Works. Not a top ranking album by popular reaction but I like it for the very reasons it's criticised...

Easy start...

Let's go...

Blast off...

I liked the last one best.
  • edited September 2022
    uglymusic said:
    PLAY LOUD!

Oooooooo, I do like that that, shame its the best track though.

It lead me off to this...

Then I watched some more Adam Deitch stuff, I've never heard of him before but he's a crazy-sharp drummer with serious groove.

• uglymusic said:
    cj66 said:

Easy start...

Let's go...

Blast off...

I liked the last one best.

YUP!
  • Have spent the afternoon going through the Bands back catalogue (miss the vinyl) most impressive Life is a carnival featuring Alan Toussant's arrangement. Worth a listen in my book.
    Do like The Band and some of Robbies solo stuff, his eponymous album still sounds great now .

• cj66 said:
    Have spent the afternoon going through the Bands back catalogue (miss the vinyl) most impressive Life is a carnival featuring Alan Toussant's arrangement. Worth a listen in my book.
    Do like The Band and some of Robbies solo stuff, his eponymous album still sounds great now .

Yup. I bought it when it came out and still listen to it from time to time. It's a great 80s production - Daniel Lanois?
  • cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:
    PLAY LOUD!

Oooooooo, I do like that that, shame its the best track though.

It lead me off to this...

Then I watched some more Adam Deitch stuff, I've never heard of him before but he's a crazy-sharp drummer with serious groove.

I know Adam Deitch from some John Scofield albums; Uberjam, Up All Night and Uberjam Deux. Funky!!
  • edited September 2022
    Beth Orton - Weather Alive

Liked it when I was listening in the shower this morning. I didn't like it so much when I listened again at my desk. Maybe I need to listen another time.
  • edited September 2022
    ...which got me thinking...

Joni Mitchell - The Asylum Albums (1972-75)

Some fabulous stuff, here. 
  • Now I am very difficult to please with female singers, Joni is great but Beth, erm, no thanks.
  • Joni is great. Beth, I'm on the fence about. She suffers from that problem most (all?) female singers have: Failing to live up to Joni  :)

Unless you know better, of course. 
    I have The Band slated for later/tomorrow once I've got through the Joni set and the other albums I have queued up from yesterday. I'm assuming Life is a Carnival is an album? What do I know about The Band?  :)
  • uglymusic said:
      What do I know about The Band?  :)

They're not rubber and still get played on the Beeb?

• cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:
      What do I know about The Band?  :)

They're not rubber and still get played on the Beeb?

You mean they haven't been given the Bootsy? 
  • uglymusic said:
    Have spent the afternoon going through the Bands back catalogue (miss the vinyl) most impressive Life is a carnival featuring Alan Toussant's arrangement. Worth a listen in my book.
    I have The Band slated for later/tomorrow once I've got through the Joni set and the other albums I have queued up from yesterday. I'm assuming Life is a Carnival is an album? What do I know about The Band?  :)
    I found it as a track on a studio album and as a live album.

I listened to the studio album. It was OK, but it won't jump from streaming to bought. 
  • edited October 2022
    John Coltrane - Blue Train: The Complete Masters

I tend to think of the great man's only Blue Note album as Tiny Steps  :)
  • We are all different, some music leaves me dumbfounded, some entranced, I think that's how it should be? at least that's my experience. I wouldn't choose to change it.
  • True. And I did listen to it  :)
  • Abso-jolly-lutely chaps. I'll listen to anything I don't know/recognise/remember.
    Plenty doesn't appeal but some does B)
  • Yeah. Occasionally, I get something past your taste filters, Chris!  :)  B)
  • Likewise :D
  • I have a liking for Bobby Hutcherson. Just found this on utube Bobby Hutcherson Quartet 2007. One day I might learn how to post a link, yea right!
  • Progressed? to Earth Wind and Fire Greatest hits, Steve Wonder Inner Visions, mmm
  • I have a liking for Bobby Hutcherson. Just found this on utube Bobby Hutcherson Quartet 2007. One day I might learn how to post a link, yea right!
    First Share:

Then:

Copy and paste in here. That's it!
  • Ended up on some Mc Coy Tyner, The real Mccoy. Thanks for the pointer I will give it a go at some point, scared sh..less of computers.
  • Just caught up with Eddie Vedders latest solo album, Earthling.
    A different flavour of darkness from the better Pearl Jam output but manages to sound fresh and cheery at the same time.
    I've only played it the once today so hard to pick a go-to song, let's go pin in track listing....