Young DAC

Comments

• mmm, I think I've found clipping again on my Young.  I played an album by Jill Scott (Who is Jill Scott) and heard clippping that was corrected by 1db reduction.  I'll repeat this tonight.

I don't think you're wrong Andy. There is still an issue with a very few tracks at my end too.
  • mmm, I think I've found clipping again on my Young.  I played an album by Jill Scott (Who is Jill Scott) and heard clippping that was corrected by 1db reduction.  I'll repeat this tonight.

I don't think you're wrong Andy. There is still an issue with a very few tracks at my end too.

This isn't welcome news, chaps. Not that I'm having any trouble here.

You sure it's not the cartridge mistracking? 
    :p
  • I cant say that Ive noticed anything myself regarding clipping noises, is this when played through itunes or a 3rd party player?

• Dave....
  • You mean it's the arm board???  :O
  • He can't bear it? (I'll get me coat)
  • David Hi, I am not asking for payment ,just womderingwhether you feel £220 for a Lithium Ion battery/charger is too much.
    Alan I can swop over Young units if you are still experiencing some distortion.
    vb Keith.
  • I see. Sorry, I couldn't see where you were going.

I'd pay that for one if it was better than the TeddyReg I have from Simon. I think I remember that Teddy Pardo's own Young PSU is about £230, so the price for the battery supply is about what you have to pay retail, I guess.

For me, it's not what it is, but the level of performance you get for the outlay. And whether having a battery supply builds in another layer of complexity/faff. Again, that'd be another trade-off.
  • Keith, could you perhaps give a few details as to how it functions. How long between charges, how long to charge and is there any potential problem when running the Young when it is not fully charged re. permanent damage ? I take it you only have the one at the moment & whilst I would be happy to hear it perhaps it should go to people who are using non standard PSU's such as the Pardo or whatever else. Personally, I'd like to hear what sq... thinks of it. £220 is fine for me especially if the ringing endorsement i've just read on Wigwam is anything to go by.
  • I cant say that Ive noticed anything myself regarding clipping noises, is this when played through itunes or a 3rd party player?

Hi Lee, it is a third party player called Decibel. Never noticed a problem with iTunes.

Keith, I don't know that it's a replacement issue, it's rare and subtle. I'm hoping a future driver update will sort if as the last one cured 90% of the issue.

• edited April 2011
    Well it still looks like it stil has problems especially with what I read on Computer Audiophile.  I have been involved in the bleeding edge often enough in the past to avoid it like the plague.  I may get one to check out a bit further down the line once all the problems are sorted out.

Thanks
    Bill
  • edited April 2011
    Mine seems fine, now. But I do have to wonder if what we're seeing at this stage are quality control problems, with some Youngs not working properly - my second one died - and others being fine.

Which reminds me, I must summon up the courage and find that Kanye West torture track (in more ways than one :-) )
  • M2Tech is never going to. get a fair crack of the whip on Computer Audiophile not unless Marco decides to take some advertising !
    Chris has become just a shill for his advertisers, shame really as CA used to be impartial and informative.
    Bill Bhbbba, there have been no reported issues at all with the latest Youngs.
    Keith.
  • M2Tech is never going to. get a fair crack of the whip on Computer Audiophile not unless Marco decides to take some advertising !
    Chris has become just a shill for his advertisers, shame really as CA used to be impartial and informative.
    Keith.
    Ummm, I just reported one a few days ago...

• What was the serial number?
  • edited April 2011
    0157 or omething like that - Dealer demo is about ten digits lower - he opened his demo, and the printed board marking said 9/2010 v 1.2 - small white sticker said 1.03 / 1.3 or something like that (I posted that earlier in this thread but don't have it in front of me at the moment)

This issue with the 0400 range being the current models I cannot get clarified- m2tech has not responded to multiple emails, the dealer is trying but cannot get clariity from the distributor, esoteric/teac, who have referred me back to the dealer. Dealer has been great, but this experience has not been. Why wouldn't m2tech show the courtesy to reply? Are the updating older units and selling as new stock? (is this why the printed board version and sticker differ, and why my sn is in the current range if 400's are indeed truly new units?)

Very frustrating at any price, but especially for the money of the young...
  • Current production is in the late 300's ,I am afraid I cant be of much help, it is something you will have to discuss with your dealer.
    Keith.
  • Current production is in the late 300's ,I am afraid I cant be of much help, it is something you will have to discuss with your dealer.
    Keith.
    Thanks 

Actually, you could help if you could note what the latest firmware version is on the board (or the sticker if they still use that method....)

• I don't know if you have your DAC still, but pressing both buttons at the same time shows 'V13' for me. SN 0169, which probably means a new motherboard in an older chassis.
  • I don't know if you have your DAC still, but pressing both buttons at the same time shows 'V13' for me. SN 0169, which probably means a new motherboard in an older chassis.

Didn't know that button sequence - thanks. I wil try later....
    That's news to me, too.
  • Drat - I've been useful in April - what will I do for the rest of the year?!
  • Quick question on here

Has anyone noticed that bad recordings played through the Young are now much more acceptable, so far for me

Freebird by Lynyrd Skynrd from the album Gold and Platinum
    Whisky in a Jar - Thin Lizzy the best of
    Queen - Greatest Hits 1, non remastered version
    Animals - Pink Floyd
    Rough Boy - ZZ Top from the album while my guitar gently weeps

I will post some more in time but would love to hear the thoughts of others

BTW The Young is still on home approval, I shall be getting a battery supply soon from Keith since I guess the wall wart needs replacing with something
    Lee
  • Quick question on here

Has anyone noticed that bad recordings played through the Young are now much more acceptable, so far for me

Freebird by Lynyrd Skynrd from the album Gold and Platinum
    Whisky in a Jar - Thin Lizzy the best of
    Queen - Greatest Hits 1, non remastered version
    Animals - Pink Floyd
    Rough Boy - ZZ Top from the album while my guitar gently weeps

I will post some more in time but would love to hear the thoughts of others

BTW The Young is still on home approval, I shall be getting a battery supply soon from Keith since I guess the wall wart needs replacing with something
    Lee
    TBH, bad recordings sound like just that here. The more my system evolves, the less it likes dodgy recordings.
    Keith.
    I don't think issues like that affect what people say when they post and it still seems to have problems.  Call me old fashioned but I won't be getting one until those posts don't appear anymore.

Thanks
    Bill
    Keith.
    I don't think issues like that affect what people say when they post and it still seems to have problems.  Call me old fashioned but I won't be getting one until those posts don't appear anymore.

Thanks
    Bill
    i tkae you point, but beg to differ.  This DAC is really quite special in what it delivers.  I don't think it has problems as such, i may have 1 track that shows some signs of clipping and i've played thousands through it now :-)  M2Tech have been v good at responding to emails etc and so has my dealer, Purite Audio.  M2Tech have not just responded by correspondence, but down further work by issuing new firmware VERY quickly indeed.  This resolved the issues.
    Best,
    Andy
  • Bill Bhobba, you must do as you like, I am pointing out that chris Connacker is far from impartial, M2Tech make excellent sounding products at one tenth the price of Chris' band of advertisers, recently he compared the £100 Hiface to the $1800 Berkeley converter!
    Chris is nothing but a shill for his advertisers, sadly this is what happens when you accept paid advertising on a forum.
    Keith.
  • To you with distorted sound from Young DACs.

Don't know if this is to any help but:

Have you tried to turn down volume a bit in your software-player? It helped me with Young version 1.

Do your supply give 15V or 18V? I THINK my setup sound a bit sweeter when the supply gives 15V instead of 18V.

• Turning down the volume on the software player surely helps, but with my i170 wadia iPod dock directly connected to RCA no software manipulation can be applied. this setup causes massive problems for me and not just on single tracks ... I have a quite impressive list of glitchy tracks and albums meanwhile. But only few devices seem to be affected by this problem and I will get my replacement soon. Overall the Young is an outstanding Dac and I'm still a happy customer :)
  • edited April 2011
    Bill Bhobba, you must do as you like, I am pointing out that chris Connacker is far from impartial, M2Tech make excellent sounding products at one tenth the price of Chris' band of advertisers, recently he compared the £100 Hiface to the $1800 Berkeley converter!
    Chris is nothing but a shill for his advertisers, sadly this is what happens when you accept paid advertising on a forum.
    Keith.
    I fail to see how Chris's bias, real or not, affects people posts of problems on the forum.  I in fact have M2Tech stuff in the form of a John Kenny modified I2S Hiface and know it is exceptional - perhaps the best USB converter you can get - although the Audiophello2 is up there - a comparison will soon be done.  I have nothing against the Young - it's a technical tour de force and products like that take a while to bed down.  I simply do not want to involved with the bleeding edge with it - so will shy away from it until there are no reports of problems - fair or not.  The fact I will carefully look at getting one once posts of problems have not appeared for a while indicates how positive I am toward the DAC.

Thanks
    Bill
  • Haujobb, what about the voltage? Have you tried 15V instead of 18V? As I wrote before, I'm not quite sure but it is worth trying.
  • To you with distorted sound from Young DACs.

Don't know if this is to any help but:

Have you tried to turn down volume a bit in your software-player? It helped me with Young version 1.

Do your supply give 15V or 18V? I THINK my setup sound a bit sweeter when the supply gives 15V instead of 18V.

Turning down Pure Music volume does not help with the dropouts.

I'm using the standard power supply, I wouldn't know why or how to use different voltage.
  • Bill, Chris recently said on the forum that the Hiface was sub par and,that he ( paid shill) could not recommend it, yet quite happy to recommend the vastly more expensive options advertised on his site!
    You don't believe that can influence perception of a product?
    Keith.
    Keith.

Thanks
    Bill
    i tkae you point, but beg to differ.  This DAC is really quite special in what it delivers.  I don't think it has problems as such, i may have 1 track that shows some signs of clipping and i've played thousands through it now :-)  M2Tech have been v good at responding to emails etc and so has my dealer, Purite Audio.  M2Tech have not just responded by correspondence, but down further work by issuing new firmware VERY quickly indeed.  This resolved the issues.
    Best,
    Andy
    My unit certainly has problems, and my concern is that, unlike you've posted, m2tech has not responded in over a week to three emails (one pre-issue inquiry, and two since my unit arrived and exhibited issues)

So not only am I concerned about the money being spent for something with issues, (and have still yet to hear anything from anyone in the know_, but if things do go wrong in the future, how do I know they will be addressed properly? Do I have to send this back to Italy from the US, or does Esoteric/Teac take care of repairs/updates in the states?
  • A bit of modding: Can we have fewer comments on other forums, please? It's one of our rules.

I'll let those made so far stand because it's a natural consequence of taking advertising directly from vendors, and we've seen it happen in the past.

In the meantime, please let Mr Connaker keep his roof over his head in whatever way he feels comfortable with.

Thanks all.
  • Sorry David it just gets my goat, I really shouldn't be surprised it was ever thus.
    Thrang have you emailed M2Tech directly with your concerns?
    Keith.
  • Thanks Keith. No problems. I understand your POV, as we've discussed offline.
  • Sorry David it just gets my goat, I really shouldn't be surprised it was ever thus.
    Thrang have you emailed M2Tech directly with your concerns?
    Keith.

Yes, I have emailed them three times and not one response - and no bounce backs...
  • I've had my Young with Naim NAPSC hooked up to a couple of valve amps (I'm moving away from Naim) and I have to say my music is sounding beautiful.

The Young is working perfectly - no clicks, pops etc and sounds (to my ears) absolutely superb. I've never been happier with my system.

The two valve amps I'm trying are PrimaLuna Prologue 2 and Melody i880. I prefer the PrimaLuna so far and will probably buy one. The issue I have is do I buy a 2nd hand one or push the boat out and buy brand new....

Just waiting for my dealer to come back with costs and trade in options ! 
  • I'm using a prima Luna dialogue 3 and find it incredible...
  • Thrang Hi, PM your email address and I will make sure you get a response, usually Marco gets back to me pretty promptly.
    Keith.
  • Easter ... Italy? Do they take a month holiday either side or some such sensible idea?
  • Keith, feel free to let the battery pack wind it's way down here once a few people have heard it, i'd be more than happy to listen to it and stick it on the test bench to see how it measures afterwards. I do still think that my battery supply has a tiny edge vs the Teddyreg supply, though for the life of me I cannot 'see' why that should be. Maybe it's expectation working its magic.

One of the things I particularly like about this forum above many others is its impartiality. Many other forums owners seem to work hand in wallet with their advertisers and sponsors while yet others seem to be predisposed to knocking certain brands and yet supporting others in a most partisan way. I had hoped that the advent of solid computer audio would lead to a freedom from the worst excesses of an industry paid for by bullshit accessories and driven by 3rd rate marketing rhetoric, but it seems that the potential standard bearers in that segment of the audio market have just dropped their pants to the advert dollar on offer. A great shame and the exact opposite of what you would expect given the level headed approach of open license agreements seen in so much of the general computer market.

With respect to the Young, I do feel like many of us have been test pilots for its development, but that is very much the case wherever software components are integrated with audio hardware, and has always been the case. Having worked for a computer graphics hardware manufacturer I have first hand experience of the joys of simultaneous software and hardware development. Marco will get there I am sure of that, in fact I'd assume most outstanding issues are either, poorly tracked revised units or new cases of poor interface operability between none standard hardware- the Wadia i170 digital out is not rock solid, I used to get clicks with mine every five minutes or so into my Cambridge 840c.
  • It is a nice forum Si, for the reason you point out (open to ideas etc) but also coz some folks know some stuff but impart it in a civil way. I've just seen your pm btw... Did you decide which psu to build?
    Andy
  • Can I say thanks?

I hope we can grow Audio Chews without ditching the good things we have here.
  • More of the same is what is needed - if you want invite others along feel free.
  • Bill, Chris recently said on the forum that the Hiface was sub par and,that he ( paid shill) could not recommend it, yet quite happy to recommend the vastly more expensive options advertised on his site!
    Keith.
    Most certainly it can affect the perception of a product - but what it will not affect is the reports of problems like (in relation to crackles) 'my list of affected tracks is meanwhile quite long and it seems to be an issue of the Young's digital filter with clipped tracks or even complete albums.'  This is not a perception issue - it is a real problem people are reporting and has nothing to do with bias etc etc.  I will wait until reports of problems like these abate before thinking about getting it.

Thanks
    Bill

Keith.
    Most certainly it can affect the perception of a product - but what it will not affect is the reports of problems like (in relation to crackles) 'my list of affected tracks is meanwhile quite long and it seems to be an issue of the Young's digital filter with clipped tracks or even complete albums.'  This is not a perception issue - it is a real problem people are reporting and has nothing to do with bias etc etc.  I will wait until reports of problems like these abate before thinking about getting it.

Thanks
    Bill

Sure. That's an understandable POV, Bill.

But are you sure the comments are written about the current generation of Young hardware, with the latest drivers? 

I'm not hearing any crackles, pops, sizzles or swooshing sounds. Just the usual gnashings and grindings of teeth from SWMBO about my taste in music :-)

I wouldn't push you into trying a Young, though, just in case you did suffer from them ;-)
  • edited April 2011
    Sure. That's an understandable POV, Bill. But are you sure the comments are written about the current generation of Young hardware, with the latest drivers?  I'm not hearing any crackles, pops, sizzles or swooshing sounds. Just the usual gnashings and grindings of teeth from SWMBO about my taste in music :-) I wouldn't push you into trying a Young, though, just in case you did suffer from them ;-)
    Absolutely it could be that - but the chance it may still be a problem just makes me wary at this stage - that's all.  I will quite likely get one a bit further down the track once it is clear the problems are sorted out to compare to my Tranquility DAC's and the John Kenny equipped PDX I am having built.  Technologically it is a real tour fe force and deserves to be investigated.

Thanks
    Bill