Young DAC

Comments

• Well, I like it! (FWIW) :-)
  • So I've read through most of this thread, but perhaps I've missed it - I'm looking to order a Young, but what is the latest HW version (2.0, 2.1?) and as important, and should I be asking the reseller to make sure it's the latest version?

Thanks
  • HI thrang. Are you in the UK? Keith ( @coops ) from purite is your man, and you will only get a current version (which, I think, is designated v1.3).
  • No, I am in the US...

But current model is 1.3? Thanks...
  • I was about to order the Musical Fidelity DAC1 with the V-link module, and while less costly, it doesn't seem to offer nearly what the Young does...
  • Do you have the option to trial both DACs, or the funds to try both & return what you don't like? My money is on the YOUNG, but I haven't heard the MF DAC1.
  • Not really..I mean, I could try the DAC1 and return it (Amazon), but no side by side...

Ah, I just ordered the Young anyway - here's hoping!..
  • Best impulse buy....ever!

• edited April 2011
    Best impulse buy....ever!

You've bought some old horns?  :O
  • Can anyone tell me what size the DC socket/plug arrangement is on the Young?

Ta in advance :-)
  • edited April 2011
    Well, I am quite bummed - I just got my Young, and it is popping/dropping all over the place via USB, and sounds inferior to the HRT Streamer II + I have...maybe the overall sound is a break-in issue, but the pops/drops are killing me - I downloaded the latest drivers today from M2tech, never have any drivers installed previously (this is on a brand new 8 GB mac Mac Mini, latest Snow Leopard/iTunes, dedicated to music playback.

I've tried with and without Pure Music, including reducing the Pure Music dithered volume by 1 db, to no avail. It's happening on all titles (most of what I have is AIF ripped from CD's, but also some 88 and 192 HD downloads). With Pure Music, I've tried leaving at native sample rate, or upsamling to 88 or beyond - no change in the pops/drops)

Am I doing something stupid here, or do I have a bum unit? I'm using an AudioQuest Forest USB cable, which I was using with the HRT. The HRT exhibited zero issues with the same files on the same computer, with or without Pure Music...

Serial number is 0153...should this be the latest HW version, or do I have a pre-upgraded unit I wonder...
  • Well I've just installed the dac with no issues at all, too early to comment yet, one thing though do you guys switch it off when not in use?
  • It's 5.5mm/2.1mm Dave.
  • Thrang, I haven't encountered drops or pops sounds like you have a duff unit, FYI serial numbers are now in the 400's , I would return it to your dealer.
    Keith.
  • So you mean like 0400 or so and above?
  • Yip. Sounds like a duff dac. Ask for immediate collection and a new unit. Hope you get it sorted ASAP.
    Andy
  • Bummer - I am speaking with my dealer now, so I'm not sure if they have another unit at the moment - but I will ask that they make sure they send me something in the 0400 range or higher...

The clicks/pops are one of the issues the earlier versions of the hardware had, correct?
  • Yes... But not on most tracks, and fixable by -1db in puremusic. Your symptoms just sound broken.
  • Bummer - I am speaking with my dealer now, so I'm not sure if they have another unit at the moment - but I will ask that they make sure they send me something in the 0400 range or higher...

The clicks/pops are one of the issues the earlier versions of the hardware had, correct?
    Indeed, pops and clicks were a problem with the first batch, but only on certain types of music.
  • It's 5.5mm/2.1mm Dave.
    Thanks!

Indeed, pops and clicks were a problem with the first batch, but only on certain types of music.

I must have a lot of special music!

I spoke withe the us distributor, teac, and they are having a tough time telling me what their inventory serial numbers are...anyway my dealer is working on it so hopefully will have word tomorrow

Fwiw, toslink is fine, it's only USB

• I spoke with Esoteric/Teac again, and they said they checked their inventory and the latest units they have are in the 150's

Could the US and European SN ranges be different? For such a small company, I'm am thinking this is highly unlikely.

Nonetheless, my unit is malfunctioning for USB for certain.
  • edited April 2011
    My dealer (Spearit Sound, who have been fantastic in getting back to me on this issue) opened his demo, which is less then ten digits away from my serial number, and his board showed version 1.2, dated 9/2010. 

The sticker in the middle of the board says 1.3 1.03B

Thanks
  • My dealer (Spearit Sound, who have been fantastic in getting back to me on this issue) opened his demo, which is less then ten digits away from my serial number, and his board showed version 1.2, dated 9/2010. That is not current, correct?

Thanks
    Doesn't sound like the current one. But don't take my word as gospel.

Just to muddy the waters, I have 00074, but I know that's been back to Italy for updating, and it's the second time it's been resident here.
  • edited April 2011
    I thought some of the older units were back in the market now after being updated.

I agree about spearit sound-when I bought my last Theta they were first class to deal with. I hope you get it sorted soon.
  • I thought some of the older units were back in the market now after being updated.

I agree about spearit sound-when I bought my last Theta they were first class to deal with. I hope you het it sorted soon.
    Yep. Older units are - like mine - but I think it has the latest mobo.

Maybe I should have a look.
  • Had a bit of a session last night with the Young after I had got the shaver adaptor out of the cupboard, turns out the power supply that comes with it requires one, all in all the session turned into some 3 hours listening in total.

Here is my brief comparison compared to the Dacmagic using a mac mini, itunes and apple loss less files

Track played for analysis - So What from Miles Davis Kind of Blue Legacy edition

Background noise - for some reason the DM exhibited quite a bit of hiss on the start of this track, playing it through the Young the hiss has reduced quite alot,

Bass lines - the opening bass is know alot tighter, seems to extend more and less boomy

Miles trumpet - Massive step change here, the opening trumpet on the DM has always been quite harsh and when played loud can hurt the old ears, on the Young this sounds much better, quite mellow to be honest and enjoyable

Drums - One thing here that I have noticed is the drums appear to be veiled on the Young, slightly less dynamic that the DM, however the cymbals do extend quite alot more, they seem to be ringing forever.

Saxaphone - Again similar to the trumpet, kind of less in you face that the DM

I did play some other tracks throughout the night and on several occasions I noticed the drums appeared to be less dynamic, maybe its just me.

For the record I was using some JVC interconnects which I have no real info on, they are the only ones I have in the house since the DM uses balanced XLR interconnects.

Overall the Dac does sound alot less digital and sounds quite analogue.

Furthermore should I get some better I/C's, does it make much difference between copper or silver, and finally do you leave the setting as 44.1 for redbook cd's, oh and one more do you guys turn it off when not in use

I have another session planned for tonight, see how it goes

Lee

• I'm glad you like it Lee, I feel a little self-concious broadcasting my own approval for kit as I an no expert. When someone comes along and says it's good for them I am very relieved!

You might talk to PAC on this forum about I/Cs - he makes very good ones for rather sensible money, Uglymusic has some now. I don't know about silver vs copper - it likely depends on your system & your preferences.

My DAC can have its sample rate selected by my music player (decibel), or I can leave to upsample everything to 384 khz. I have been going this recently, and have noticed only a subtle difference. I can't decide yet if it is for better or worse.

My DAC gets far more use in the house with the TV signal going through it (large family), so I leave it on all the time.
  • So it appears my heavy dropouts with the new Young I received are related to using Pure Music. If I use Amarra Junior or iTunes alone, there are no dropouts.

There are also no dropouts with Pure Music and the Young via Toslink...

I've emailed Pure Music and m2tech, but PM is something I've invested in, so I need to understand why it's not working...as noted, no issues with the HRT Music Streamer II + and Pure Music.
  • Just a note on dynamics - I too had a DM, and I was knocked out of my chair with the dynamics from the Young. This kind of perception is obviously very personal, and perhaps system dependant. The M2Tech could be controlling the music much more, without the coarseness that the DM showed occasionally that you notice - or the drums could in fact be veiled for you. In which case....

Try new I/Cs as you have mooted, and get used to the sound of your system with these changes. You really need to get away from shaving adapters also when you can. While you're at it (if you have decided to keep the DAC) you might consider an uprated power supply, which helps matters along nicely.

• So it appears my heavy dropouts with the new Young I received are related to using Pure Music. If I use Amarra Junior or iTunes alone, there are no dropouts.

I've emailed Pure Music and m2tech, but PM is something I've invested in, so I need to understand why it's not working...as noted, no issues with the HRT Music Streamer II + and Pure Music.
    That is something to get to the bottom of - I know for a fact there are several PM users with YOUNG DACs on here, like Ted B & Andy (Uzinusa), perhaps they can help. Hopefully it will be a setup issue.
  • Had a bit of a session last night with the Young after I had got the shaver adaptor out of the cupboard, turns out the power supply that comes with it requires one, all in all the session turned into some 3 hours listening in total.

Here is my brief comparison compared to the Dacmagic using a mac mini, itunes and apple loss less files

Track played for analysis - So What from Miles Davis Kind of Blue Legacy edition

Background noise - for some reason the DM exhibited quite a bit of hiss on the start of this track, playing it through the Young the hiss has reduced quite alot,

Bass lines - the opening bass is know alot tighter, seems to extend more and less boomy

Miles trumpet - Massive step change here, the opening trumpet on the DM has always been quite harsh and when played loud can hurt the old ears, on the Young this sounds much better, quite mellow to be honest and enjoyable

Drums - One thing here that I have noticed is the drums appear to be veiled on the Young, slightly less dynamic that the DM, however the cymbals do extend quite alot more, they seem to be ringing forever.

Saxaphone - Again similar to the trumpet, kind of less in you face that the DM

I did play some other tracks throughout the night and on several occasions I noticed the drums appeared to be less dynamic, maybe its just me.

For the record I was using some JVC interconnects which I have no real info on, they are the only ones I have in the house since the DM uses balanced XLR interconnects.

Overall the Dac does sound alot less digital and sounds quite analogue.

Furthermore should I get some better I/C's, does it make much difference between copper or silver, and finally do you leave the setting as 44.1 for redbook cd's, oh and one more do you guys turn it off when not in use

I have another session planned for tonight, see how it goes

Lee

Beware shaver adapters! Mine didn't do anything for the sound. I bought an EU plug adapter from Currys and things sounded better.

Better interconnects are a good idea. As Alan said, get in touch with @PAC of these parts. He's just built me a set of cables with some very expensive plugs that I had a lot of trouble getting him to use ;-) He'll not take you for a ride and he's a very nice chap, who's just starting his own business and will give you excellent advice. He's very quick and the i/c will be 100% bespoke for you.

That is something to get to the bottom of - I know for a fact there are several PM users with YOUNG DACs on here, like Ted B & Andy (Uzinusa), perhaps they can help. Hopefully it will be a setup issue.
    I was just about to jump in here. I've tried Amarra and PM. Neither seemed happy with my files being then on a Drobo connected to my office Mac.

Could this be something to do with your network topology rather than your hi-fi?

• I was just about to jump in here. I've tried Amarra and PM. Neither seemed happy with my files being then on a Drobo connected to my office Mac.

Could this be something to do with your network topology rather than your hi-fi?
    In my case, my files are on a locally connected 7200 RPM Firewire 800 drive - same files were fine with the HRT. I even copied the library locally to the Mac Mini internal drive and re linked the library to that location, with no change in the dropouts. Very strange....

• I was just about to jump in here. I've tried Amarra and PM. Neither seemed happy with my files being then on a Drobo connected to my office Mac.

In my case, my files are on a locally connected 7200 RPM Firewire 800 drive - same files were fine with the HRT. I even copied the library locally to the Mac Mini internal drive and re linked the library to that location, with no change in the dropouts. Very strange....

I thought it was a bit if a long shot...

Oh well.
  • I don't know if I can help here but am using mac, puremusic, music on fw800 external hd, and young .... I'll pm you my number as it may be easier to do on the blower ... You uk right??
    Andy
  • I don't know if I can help here but am using mac, puremusic, music on fw800 external hd, and young .... I'll pm you my number as it may be easier to do on the blower ... You uk right??
    Andy
    No US....
  • Ok then shall we iChat or skype?
    Andy
  • Guess what my buddy name is :-)
  • Hi guys,

As mentioned before dutch Best of two worlds ( www.squeeze-upgrade.com ) offers now a linear PSU for the Young Dac. It's not listed on their website yet but German exclusive distributor put in in their webshop today for 135 Euro. Should be available the Dutch website soon with UK plug.

http://shop.digitalnoma.de/HIGO_Site/WebPagesDE/dndetail.html&&2deBC*0obDuox2NvxMpoLGxolJgo2bbBeJ1gcgSJIhZaTNc5jZ7Ic0LO_4VhXX6aWlka__Wa

Tom

• Bargain at the price - assuming it is a well designed unit (which I'm sure it is).
  • Sounds like a good price.
  • Guess what my buddy name is :-)
    Suzi!
    Your lucky night Alan! Come on down...and spin around for the ladies and gentlemen... Now back stage toot sweet big boy
  • I think you're all on toot!  :-D
  • Would anyone like to borrow the Lithium battery supply, I would be interested to hear your thoughts, here I have a very slight hum using the supplied supply,dead quiet with the battery, which is worth it on it's own.
    vb Keith.
  • Hi Keith

Send it my way, and I'll give it a listen!

Cheers

Dave
  • edited April 2011
    mmm, I think I've found clipping again on my Young.  I played an album by Jill Scott (Who is Jill Scott) and heard clippping that was corrected by 1db reduction.  I'll repeat this tonight.

• David Hi , you are most welcome, the battery pack/charger costs me £169 , that means I need to charge £220 just to cover vat and postage, is that going to be too much,£220 is just cost plus vat.
    Keith.
  • Hi Keith

I'm quite happy to give it a listen and give you an opinion vs my SimonTeddyReg as in your post. But if you want money upfront from a potential purchaser, I'll pass on it so that you can get that purchaser.

Cheers

Dave