Listening to ...

Comments

• Sonny Rollins - Alfie
  • Marilyn Crispell with Gary Peacock and Paul Motian - Amaryllis

Crispell falls in with the Peacock/Motian/ECM axis here, but totally convincingly. If you like Motian's later piano trio recordings, this has to be one of the best.
  • Jonas Hellborg - Art Metal
  • Oh no! Has the Savile enquiry gone to the States?  @-) [-X
  • Jack White - Blunderbuss
  • Happy Mondays "Bummed"
    Ah yes. This is why I like music.
  • John Surman - Brewster's Rooster

Suddenly I'm enjoying this album. I've never been that convinced by it.
  • This week, I ave mostly been skipping through tracks from all my albums, like an excited child with a new amplifier!
  • You are a child wiv a new amplifier :-D
  • Fun Lovin' Criminals - 100% Columbian

Barry White saved my life...
  • PACPAC
    edited May 2013
    Forgotten what a superbly recorded LP this was.

• Anyone listen to The Great Lake Swimmers?

I keep hearing them on radioparadise, they are sort of 'pop' but much better, actually I am a sucker for really good pop/songwriter music.

I wonder if the recent album lives up to the teo ear-worm tracks I have come to love.
  • edited May 2013
    Medeski Martin & Wood - Live at the Ogden Theatre, Denver, Colorado 5 March 2011
  • Drew Gress - 7 Black Butterflies
  • War - All Day Music
  • Wadada Leo Smith, Suzie Ibarra & John Zorn - John Zorn's 50th Birthday Celebrations, Vol 8
  • edited May 2013
    Weather Report - 8:30

Something to smooth the senses after the free improv of the Smith/Ibarra/Zorn.

Warning to Ben: This has Jaco Pastorius on it ;-)
  • Cantate Domino on Proprius PRCD 7762 Recorded 23-25 Jan and April 29 1976 in Oscarskyrkan in Stockholm a few tracks make the hair on the back of the neck bristle brrrr lovely.
  • John Surman - Adventure Playground
  • Adrian Sherwood - Presents the Master Recordings
  • Randy Weston - Uhuru Africa
  • What's that?
  • 808 State: Excel
  • Vanilla Ice: Ice Ice Baby

Oh yes.
  • Microsoft - Excel
  • Sheila Chandra - ABoneCroneDrone

I love this album. As you'd expect from the title, very little goes on musically, but it just sucks me in to its world.
  • Ernest Ranglin - Alextown
  • Amadou & Maryam - Dimanche a Bamako

Dimanche a Worthing :-)
  • Ernest Ranglin - Alextown
    I don't know that one, but we played Below the Bassline the other day - it's a great album!
  • Yeah. They're both good, in a similar, but different, mash-up of styles.

Ranglin is a very interesting musician. I believe that he was originally a jazz player, but was a studio musician in Jamaica at the time of the birth of reggae, so he can lay claim to being one of the style's inventors.

I have a couple more of his albums - Now is the Time is going on next because I haven't played it for aeons, and Modern Answers to Old Questions (or something similar) which iTunes may have lost track of (or perhaps I'm getting the title wrong).
  • Junior Marvin / Lee Scratch Perry "Roots Train". Total net wrongness of track = zero.
  • Junior Marvin / Lee Scratch Perry "Roots Train". Total net wrongness of track = zero.
    Sorry. -1 at worst.
  • Desmond Decker 
    Sorry. -1 at worst.
    Do you have the Lee Scratch Perry Arkology Box Set from a few years back? Must be about 15, coming to think of it. A mate of mine, now sadly passed, came round one hot Saturday evening, and we spent the evening in the garden with Sam and his wife listening to it on my ghetto blaster.

Magical!

I think I may just listen to it today :-)
  • Randy Weston - 1961 Uhuru Afrika
  • Paul Hardcastle, Desire.  The sun is out :)
  • Medeski Martin & Wood - Live at the Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY, May 1996
  • Muhummad Ali (no not that one) & Frank Wright - Adieu Little Man
  • Live recordings, various...
  • Harriet Tubman - Ascension

Yup. Coltrane's Ascension.
  • Charlie Haden & Paul Motian featuring Geri Allen - Etudes

One of my very favourite albums of piano jazz, with a fantastic version of Ornette's Lonely Woman.
  • Charles Lloyd Quartet - Mirror 
  • All sorts of stuff this morning, but can't get through more than a track or two. 

Do you ever get days when you can't find the right music?
  • Just had a lovely afternoon listening to Jazz and a good picnic at Barrington Court.

• Summer! :-)