Listening to ...

Comments

• So here we are, like it or not? Anything Steve Howe. first Yes album amazing playing. Ill end here because the rest are far older than most here. Caleb Quaye, Wes Mongomery, Michael Landau, etc just love a good guitar player.
    How about Bill Frisell?

• This is really special. Posthumous solo piano music from Esbjorn Svensson (that's the release, not the performance, before you say it).

That's one track, but all of it seems to be on YT.
  •  I so would google that. I just know his name has been present on a lot of stuff that I have listened to. Could try to but honestly, I struggle to remember where I put my glasses. "the little grey cells" are not what they used to be Hastings.
  • Tonight, The deep south, Steve and the Seagulls along with the Three Tenors, a test of anyone's musical taste and system! All available on ytube. One day I'll find a way to link them?
  • Change of pace...new release.

• edited November 2022
    That's quite nice. I've never heard of him. I'll put him on the 'investigate' list  :)

Edit: Found him. Tons of stuff on Qobuz.
  • uglymusic said:
    That's quite nice. I've never heard of him. I'll put him on the 'investigate' list  :)

Edit: Found him. Tons of stuff on Qobuz.
    Not my kind of thing :/ , but my wife may like him.
  • Postman arrived today parcel in hand. A late night and wine had brought me something, from Discogs. Miles Davis Kind of Blue, Fully Celebrated , Drunk on The blood, George Benson Anthology. What have I done. I dare say I can put them on ebay and recover some of the money:}
  • Blimey, I thought you were a man of taste for a moment there  :) B) o:)
  • Have been called many things in my life, never "A man of taste". So even a "moment" was worthwhile!
  • Well my recent purchases. The Miles Davis vinyl plays, lots of pop and crackle as you would expect, maybe a good soaking in the sink will help that out. Drunk on the blood just refuses to play other than the odd track, no longer have a dedicated cd player, just using an old sony dvd player. George Benson, similar though some tracks are ok. Nothing like there descriptions on Discogs. You Pays your money and take your choices. Big day for fairy liquid and white wine vinegar tomorrow I think. The cost was not massive so the thought of sending back is a no brainer.
  • As the dvd player is old maybe some alcohol on the Lense, vodka might suffice?
  • Well my recent purchases. The Miles Davis vinyl plays, lots of pop and crackle as you would expect, maybe a good soaking in the sink will help that out. Drunk on the blood just refuses to play other than the odd track, no longer have a dedicated cd player, just using an old sony dvd player. George Benson, similar though some tracks are ok. Nothing like there descriptions on Discogs. You Pays your money and take your choices. Big day for fairy liquid and white wine vinegar tomorrow I think. The cost was not massive so the thought of sending back is a no brainer.
    I'll send you a DM.
  • Have been called many things in my life, never "A man of taste". So even a "moment" was worthwhile!
     :) 
  • Enjoying this:

Avram Fefer - Juba Lee

Two questions:
    1. Why isn't Avram Fefer better known?
    2. Why is drummer Chad Taylor appearing on what seems like all of my favourite albums recently?
    Your answers on a postcard, please! (But you can just comment here, if you must).
  • This (the previous and first effort by the band) is probably better (I need to listen to both downstairs (or on headphones, now!) before I can form a definitive opinion):

• Sounds like a football match?...

Thelonious Monk Plays Duke Ellington

It's interesting how much Monk dovetails with Ellington. The outsider and the owner of the mainstream. 
  • Per Zanussi - Li (and the infinite game)

Some very nice stuff here. I'm going to be listening more to Mr Zanussi's music (along with Mr Miele, Mr Beko and Mr Braun  :s ).
  • Just found this chap, Trace Bundy TEDx Bolder, utube. Shows how much a guitar can be?
  • I read that as Ted Bundy. I guess that's different? 
  • Yep, has nothing to do with jumping of bridges o:)
  • Best avoided, I feel.
  • Mthunzi Mvubu - The 1st Gospel

South African alto player's first album, recorded with a South African band in South Africa sounds, a lot of the time as if it's a classic Blue Note offering. I'll certainly be giving it another listen, and hope I can find some more direct African influences in the music. 
  • Well, that's me out. 
    Enjoy.
  • Sorry, out as in I couldn't  get my head around the Mvuba track.
    Enjoy, I hope you do  ;)
  • Ah! Dave's brain not working. Sorry!

I haven't given the album another spin (stream?).
  • edited December 2022
    Starting the week with:

Donald Byrd/Live - Cookin' with Blue Note at Montreux

That's the first track. The rest seem to be there, too, but as single videos.

It's good. Deep seventies jazz-funk. 

I've been playing it around the house this weekend, but haven't had a chance to listen on the big rig. 
  • uglymusic said:
    Ah! Dave's brain not working. Sorry!

I haven't given the album another spin (stream?).
    Now, I have. It's OK, but patchy. I'll probably give it another listen. Perhaps even downstairs.
  • Kjetil Husebø and Arve Henriksen - Sequential Stream

In some ways, Henriksen albums all sound the same, but this one is a little different, with some classical/minimalist piano in the mix. I like it. And I'll play it until the next new one comes along  :)

• Donald Byrd, got me at the get go 70s jazz funk :)
  • Donald Byrd, got me at the get go 70s jazz funk :)
     B) 
  • I've decided I'm having a World music day. I've lined up 8:54:21 in music in LMS; I'll skip the stuff that I don't like or is boring me.

First:

Soaud Massi - Sequana

You may recognise that one  ;) But it's all there if you want it. 

It's a very (too?) varied album, with Massi singing in a number of languages (I prefer it when she keeps away from French, and the expectations that come with it).
  • uglymusic said:
    Starting the week with:

Donald Byrd/Live - Cookin' with Blue Note at Montreux

That's the first track. The rest seem to be there, too, but as single videos.

It's good. Deep seventies jazz-funk. 

I've been playing it around the house this weekend, but haven't had a chance to listen on the big rig. 
    But, now I have. Sounds even better (it's a Qobuz hi-res stream, so it has a good start. Did I say how happy I am with Qobuz?  :D ).
  • Having a Zappa day today.
  • Do you have Netflix? The Zappa documentary where he and later, his family, goes back to his father’s birthplace is wonderful. 
  • Unfortunately no, would love to see, he's been a go to for many years.
  •  Victor Wooten and India Arie, Testimony.
  • Muriel Grossman - Universal Code

Just part of Alice and John Coltrane's legacy lives on with musicians like Grossman and Nat Birchall. I like it!
  •  Victor Wooten and India Arie, Testimony.
    Is that Vol 1 or Vol 2? Both are on YT.
  • Brother Culture - 40 Years Anniversary

• Have vol1 on cd, been listening to that like most of her stuff. Will look on YouTube, thanks.
  • Ps, something you might like Victor wooten trio, YouTube. Ya never know
  • Have vol1 on cd, been listening to that like most of her stuff. Will look on YouTube, thanks.
    I'll give it a listen!
  • Ps, something you might like Victor wooten trio, YouTube. Ya never know
    I'll look that up, too.
  • Today, Free the first two albums, superb simplicity. Talking Heads Remain in light and Naked.
  • I know the THs, but not the Frees.
  • Started the evening off with some Del Amitri, a trip down memory lane as is most of the stuff I end up playing at the moment.
  • Papa Wemba at the moment.