Listening to ...

Comments

• Just had Grant Green,Kenny Burrell and Barney Kessell  turn up on youtube, live in France 1969.
    Outch!
  • You like?
  • One I pull out every so often, when I'm in the mood:

Melody Gardot - Currency of Man

• Lovely voice! I'd like to hear her sing something with a bit more pep though...
  • AFAIK, that's about as far as she goes  :'(
  • Although my rock preferences usually go in the Brit/Euro direction, an American outfit I have always enjoyed is Blue Oyster Cult.
    Their output is extremely varied to say the least. The polish of pop, the drive of rock, the raw talent and signature tempo changes of Prog, they're very difficult to slot into a pigeon hole.

They have a gaggle of stand out albums but even on some of their less popular offerings there are some great tracks.

I leave you this gem.

• Once again reverting back to my youth. Trapeze, Medusa. There are some who will find their ears will hurt >:)
  • edited March 2023
    Crikey, I haven't listened to either of those bands in many years. I must revisit and see if I still like them...

I've just noticed BOC snuck out a new album last year, without telling me, tsk tsk 😉

I've had a first listen, not bad with a few nods to older stuff and still unmistakably them. Might be a grower...
  • Not quite sure how missed Blue Oyster Cult. Been giving it a listen, must have been asleep :D
  • Whilst many dismiss it because of how its been used/ recommended as a "test track" The fact is, for me, Its one of the most spectacular virtuoso acoustic guitar performances you can hear. Nils Lofgren, Live YouTube, Keith don't Go. Give it a chance you never know?
  • That is indeed quite excellent. I've liked most of what I've heard from Nils yet don't actually have any in my own collection. Can't figure why?
  • Time to correct that, I have a few albums all good in my book. Would love the above on vinyl but to rich for my pocket :'(
  • Maybe I shall! Where should I begin and continue?
  • Starting the week with Fela Kuti  :)

Fela - Live in Detroit 1986

• I only own a couple of Nils output. Cry Tough my fave, I came to Dance and Nils.          None here at the moment though, must remedy that.
  • Jason Moran - Ten

A nice interpretation (when does a cover become an interpretation?) of a Thelonious Monk tune. There's more on YT is you want more.
  • Wayne Shorter - Emanon

I've been listening to a lot of Wayne's music since his recent passing, and realised I didn't really know this. It's great. Really great. And deserving of repeated listening (for me, anyway!).
  • Some older Wayne, on Blue Note:

Wayne Shorter - Speak No Evil

• Only ever new the man from his performances with bands, I am sure you know who they are. I thoroughly enjoyed him with them. Look forward to hearing the man in his element, so of to listen to this :)
  • wow, thats some leap for me.  :)
  • Bit of Camel Mirage for me, not the best but evocative none the less.
  • That's my favourite Camel album. For some reason I usually follow it with Focus Hamburger Concerto which is brilliant!
  • Breaking old ground again, Flash Small Beginnings.
  • Steve Howe, wow.
  • Bit of Camel Mirage for me, not the best but evocative none the less.
    I used to have three or four Camel albums on vinyl. Can't remember what my favourite was. They went when I sold my vinyl, unplayed for years and me in need of funds.
  • Steve Howe, wow.
    You did it! The YouTube paste. Well done, my friend. 
  • I'm still digesting this one, from my favourite pianist still performing, Bobo Stenson. His longstanding trio (with two swaps in the drum chair) have been going their own way for 25 years or more. To my ears, Sphere (no link to Thelonious Sphere Monk, as far as I can see) is another step into their own particular unknown.

Bobo Stenson Trio - Sphere

I'm still trying to find an album's worth of uninterrupted time in front of the main system to start properly absorbing it. 
  • kick of today with Paranoid, Ozzy in his heyday >:)
  • Contrast time!  :)
  • Complete change, George Benson Breezing. Sounds good to me. Need to revisit my son and get some more vinyl. the room is slowly filling up again. Old habits die hard!
  • GB: Good stuff!
  • Sonny Rollins, Bobo Stenson, Arild Andersen and Jon Christensen - Live in Norway, 1971

The Scandinavians were about 20 at the time, and Christensen, in particular, sounds fantastic. It's well worth half an hour or so of anyone's time.
  • Yep your right Well worth a listen, even to these heathen ears :)
  • Come on, you're a jazz fan, really  B)
  • No not really, just a lover of musical talent whatever form it comes in. Somethings just "grab" you and give pleasure. When that happens the genre isn't important, In my opinion :)
  • Trudat!

Here's another great sax player for your enjoyment:

Pharoah Sanders - at the Jazz Cafe, 2011

Nice sound quality for YT, too.

"The power of god... The power of god... The power of god..."  :)
  • Just put on Squeez East side story, end of box play. Love it.
  • I don't think I've heard that since it was out for the first time.

My local boys, BTW  :)
  • forgot I could do this
  • I was wandering around Piccadilly thinking There's No Tomorrow and instead of being in this F-Hole, wouldn't it be Heaven to be living in Woman's World.
    I've Messed Around with ringing Someone Else's Bell but only broke Someone Else's Heart and thought, now Is That Love?
    Well, enough of my Mumbo Jumbo and this Vanity Fair, I certainly can't title this as Labelled With Love.

;)

Fallout from a game I played along with earlier today, to make a flowing speech including, most if not all, song titles from an album. In this case @Simplemind 's East Side Story.

• Shit, where your head at :o Oh just got it!
  • On consulting Dr music,he sent me to the great sun jester. I was told that I may be moon crazy.To solve this i was told to  make a vigil .What I would have to observed would be via three mirrors. That was when I realized your not the one, I am the storm. So now only lonely teardrops fall ;)
  • David Bowie sound and vision.
  • Nutters! Both of you  :D

Now, I'll have to put the shrivelled grey matter to this one.
  • Try some crustaceans, good for the little grey cells so I believe B)
  • Oh by the way, Kind of..think Miles Davis.
  • The  Miss Education of Lauren Hill.