Listening to ...

Comments

• PS, this is probably the best, natural recordings that I have ever heard, just my opinion  :smiley:
  • Ted chill out man, listen to this bodacious,
  • Now, something "a bit" closer to today. The Motets' a bit of jazz funk ;)

Hey, that's fun.
  • In that mode a bit of Teddy Swims, enjoy.
    I've never come across him. I suspect my wife would like him.
  • Joe Lovano and Greg Osby - Friendly Fire

Somehow, this album doesn't live up to its title - it needs more fire and a little less friendliness. Perhaps they needed a drummer who would shake up proceedings a bit more. Idris Muhammad is a great soul jazz drummer, but probably the wrong choice here.

Someone let Lovano and Osby put their modern mainstream heads on.

It is good, but not the album I hoped it would be  :(
  • Now, this is a different kettle of fish. I wasn't expecting much, but I've been playing it a few times over the last week, and I love it!

The Cinematic Orchestra - Every Day

Fontella Bass guesting doesn't do any harm, either  :)
  • My entry for the funkiest video of the week!

Wah-Wah Watson with Herbie Hancock - Hang Up Your Hangups (live)

Insane!  :)
  •  : :o , :D , <3  
  • Just before I go to bed, I thought I'd leave you with some Bill Withers:

It almost brings tears to my eyes. What a talent!
  • This morning's gentle start is:

Jacob Young - Eventually

I'd missed this guy. Sometimes I never get around to giving people a listen, even if I knew they were out there. 

Anyhow, this is a very good guitar trio (not power trio, you'll note!  :) ). He often sounds like his teacher, John Abercrombie. That's good enough for me.
  • It's Friday... It must be... Sun Ra!  o:)  :D  >:)   B)

That is all  :s 
  • I'm on a roll. I'm really enjoying this:

Batavia Collective - BTVC

It's an Indonesian band's genre-bending EP (their third?). All four tracks are on YT.
  • Time for a bit of this I think
  • edited May 2023
    I saw the flying pig and all that live, at Earl's Court, I think.

I may have said that before  o:)
  • Wow, wish I had :s . PF have always been a bit of love hate for me, sometimes I can Listen other times not at all. When that moment happens nothing else works, go figure.
  • I didn't listen to them for years, but I have enjoyed listening to some of the pre-Dark Side albums recently.

I keep meaning to give the big Floyd albums another go, but so far the time hasn't been right. So I know what you mean. 
  • Visited the archives today, a monumental album for me
  • For me, too. In about 1977/78.
  • This one, from the same era, but I only found it in the late 80s/early 90s, as I got more and more immersed in ECM's output:

Check Corea - Return to Forever

• Again a great album B)
  • edited May 2023
    Two more for your enjoyment, this sunny Tuesday:

Charlie Haden - Closeness, Duets (with Keith Jarrett, Ornette Coleman, Alice Coltrane and Paul Motian)

and

One from the great French bassist, Henri Texier:

Henri Texier Sand Quintet - Sand Woman

You can see my brain hasn't yet hit its stride today... I've only just realised both albums are led by bass players  :p 
  • The days of my brain "hitting its stride" are long gone. I just spend 30mins looking at a cover, 20mins trying to remember , give up and put it on o:)
  • Play that funky music!!!  :)
  • Try a bit of this
  • Try a bit of this
    Too smooth for me  :/
  • edited May 2023
    How about an earful of this?

Asher Gamedze - Turbulence and Pulse

I've been hypnotised by this album since the weekend. It's somehow far out (not as in 'man') and accessible at the same time.

It could be my album of the year so far. I'll see if I'm still listening to it in a few weeks.
  • Maybe a little too smooth again?, didnt even know that I owned this album.
  • Maybe a little too smooth again?, didnt even know that I owned this album.
    No. Just on the right side. And it's Herbie. 'Nuff said.

But I prefer the Mwandishi and Headhunters periods.
  • like this?
  • Looking through things it seems I have 4 HH albums, mostly 70/80 pressings. Have no idea when or why I purchased them, life is funny. 
  • Turbulence and pulse, liked the music not so much the guy talking over it B)
  • As for someone talking over music, try this
  • like this?
    That's one of them, yep  B)
  • Looking through things it seems I have 4 HH albums, mostly 70/80 pressings. Have no idea when or why I purchased them, life is funny. 
    Yep, I think a variation on that happens to all of us who have been collection music over some years.
  • Turbulence and pulse, liked the music not so much the guy talking over it B)
    Glad you liked it. I was less happy with the female vocals.
  • As for someone talking over music, try this
    I remember watching the movie. It was OK. 

Maybe I should give the album a go.
  • Also found some Stanley Clark, School Days, If This Bass could Talk. Must have been going through a phase? All the "crates" of albums that left are surely returning, one by one. God help me. Over and out from me.
  • Try a bit of this, will definitely wake you up, 
  • Try a bit of this, will definitely wake you up, 
    Always love a bit of ZZ Top!
  • Well spent some time on youtube, sorted through the  crates nothing seems to grab me, so its back to that other panacea books. Started with the Stand, read many times always reveals something more. 
  • I don't think I know the Stand.
  • Some nice guitar and Indian stuff going on here:

Rez Abbasi - CHARM

Some of the album is on YT, otherwise it's your fave streaming service.
  • what more can I say, 
  • As for the stand, Stephen King. Many ignore for lots of reasons most of whom have never read his books.
  • I've never read him because I don't like horror.
  • That is the genre that he seems to be listed under but there is much more to him than that. Have you ever watched The Green Mile, Stand by Me? to name but two of his books made into films, no horror there for me just great writing, anyway Ill stop now as I think these posts have little to do with what you are listening to now o:)  
  • I've watched The Green Mile; you have a point.
  • Red Hot and Ra - Nuclear War

...it's a motherf***er!  :)
  • Try a bit of this,