Listening to ...

Comments

• edited July 2023
    This morning, I'm gonna Make It Funky!!!

Maceo Parker - Make It Funky

I don't think this is the gig (it's more recent), but you get the idea:

An old favourite (that I don't have a copy of) has been remastered. I love these Maceo live albums - I saw him in about 1993 at the Astoria, Charing Cross Road. Insane and the tightest thing you've ever heard, both at the same time.

Check the album out on your favoured streaming service. 

Edit: Having listened to it again, I'm not sure it is anything but a cleaned-up bootleg, not the album I thought I had. It's still fun, though.
  • Oh no
    More....jazz...
    I......can't....take....it.....any................... o:)

:D

Short ditty interlude.

• While on short ditties, here's an uplifting contribution from Pink Floyd.

• Returning to this thread, I realise I haven't listened to your ditties, @cj66. I will be back, as someone might have once said. 

So, I've been listening to some pretty mainstream spiritual jazz this morning. Sometimes this stuff edges towards smooth jazz, but this doesn't.

The Circling Sun - Spirits

• Me I like a bit of "smooth Jazz" Been roaming around YouTube, Radio Paradise and others and really haven't found anything to engage me, so I have gone back to books. "Spirits" not for me, sorry ;)
  • Usually I play stuff from my NAS drive, but it's been a Qobuz morning so far, with this, again:

Jazz is Dead 018 - Tony Allen (or is it the other way round?)

The great Afrobeat drummer looped around and smushed in with American brass players (very different from Fela's Nigerian brass sections). I like it, although it's only this side of repetitive.
  • Spent a bit of time with this today  and enjoyed it very much :smile:
  • Now, that's an album that has a lot to answer for! One of those turning points that I've promised to own up to, but I haven't had time to think about the list properly.
  • One day...
  • Big influence for me, if you have never been there give it a go? 
  • ^^^
    Another band I'd almost forgotten about.
    Rummage time....
    I quite like that. 

Keep 'em coming!
  • After the convo on another thread, I just HAD to have some Ornette. Early stuff is good for working to, so:

The Ornette Coleman Quartet - This Is Our Music

The Beauty is a Rare Thing box set of all their Atlantics is something you must have, Chris  :D 
  • Found VF in the mid?late 60s, everyone around me were listening to led zepplin Beatles etc. A few years later found this man, JJ Cale never looked back.
  • Found VF in the mid?late 60s, everyone around me were listening to led zepplin Beatles etc. A few years later found this man, JJ Cale never looked back.
    JJ Cale is a big hero in this house.
  • Whaaaaaaat?!
    We all like JJ Cale, found him via Grasshopper ..."city girls are alright..." It was a demo LP in the first HiFi shop I worked in.
    The then manager had very good taste in artists I didn't yet know.

For some reason, after playing a bit of JJ I'll move to something like Joe Ely or John Hiatt...

• Never heard either, time to investigate :)
  • Just for a bit of fun and because I can, also it features one of my all time faves Lowell George  o:) 
  • cj66 said:
    Whaaaaaaat?!
    We all like JJ Cale, found him via Grasshopper ..."city girls are alright..." It was a demo LP in the first HiFi shop I worked in.
    The then manager had very good taste in artists I didn't yet know.

For some reason, after playing a bit of JJ I'll move to something like Joe Ely or John Hiatt...

I don't think I know Joe Ely.

The mighty John Hiatt is another matter. He's been a Chews favourite over the years. 
  • Just for a bit of fun and because I can, also it features one of my all time faves Lowell George  o:) 
    Didn't Little Feat do backing for the whole album?
  • Yep sure did, along with many others. Their previous history in one form or another is quite amazing. Who they (in different forms) played along side is amazing, Zapper to mention but one, but sooo much more (Just love them) and they are my go to when little else grabs me :)
  • Starting the day with...

PJ Harvey - To Bring You My Love

I love a bit of Polly Jean every so often. She's up there with Joni for rotation in Ugly Towers. 

I had a little sesh with VF, lead me to Season of the Witch, switched to Donovan which in turn lead me way off in another tangent because Deep Purple did a wonderful cover of Lalena (think I've posted that up before)....sort of returning to VF's raison d'etre.

• edited July 2023
    uglymusic said:
    Starting the day with...

I love a bit of Polly Jean every so often. She's up there with Joni for rotation in Ugly Towers. 

Who can deny a little dabble with PJ? She's a very unique artist that demands attention.
    I went to a U2 concert (yeah, yeah, I know, some albums are a guilty pleasure) with a few rather keener fan buddies where she supported and for me, at least, was the highlight. It was the the infamous Salman Rushdie ( a rather poetic surname for a man with a Fatwah over his head ) appearance on stage with U2.
    It was a good night, great music and atmosphere....
  • cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:
    Starting the day with...

Who can deny a little dabble with PJ? She's a very unique artist that demands attention.
    I went to a U2 concert (yeah, yeah, I know, some albums are a guilty pleasure) with a few rather keener fan buddies where she supported and for me, at least, was the highlight. It was the the infamous Salman Rushdie ( a rather poetic surname for a man with a Fatwah over his head ) appearance on stage with U2.
    It was a good night, great music and atmosphere....
    I've been playing her all day (maybe I'll post the albums here in a minute). Just like Joni, when I'm in the mood, only she will do. 

I'd sit through U2 to see Polly Jean. My fave U2 album, the only one I own, is Rattle and Hum (I think we may have had this convo before). It's probably the album U2 fiends like least, but do I care? They are my lug 'oles.  
  • More PJ Harvey albums...

Is This Desire?

A Woman A Man Walked By

So much more to my liking than White Chalk that came out not so long before.
  • Just lie the name, beautiful.
  • Ah! My wife is a Beautiful South fan.
  • Good for her  :)
  • Something very different for me, YouTube led me to it and I found it quite lovely......
  • ....which was brilliantly rearranged by ALW and later used for the theme of the South Bank Show...

• Bit of a cheek, this. It's some of what I've been listening to this weekend.

If you liked Bowie's Blackstar, you might like this. The musicians on it are basically Bowie's backing band on his last album, and you can hear the influence.

Donny McCaslin - Blow.

• Something very different for me, YouTube led me to it and I found it quite lovely......
    It is nice.

South Bank Show, as Chris says.
  • cj66 said:
    ....which was brilliantly rearranged by ALW and later used for the theme of the South Bank Show...

Played by JLW. I had the album, back in the day, on one of those black warpy things.
    Just a thought. He's playing it on a double bass, JLW played it on a cello, and Paganini would have played it on a violin. I'm not stringing you along, either  :D 
  • I know your not :D I used to watch the south bank show. The thing that drew me to it was the double bass. As for JLW  as good as it was  I would like to hear Jacquine De Pre play it. Did you know Paganini also owned many string instruments, among which were  many guitars? I have just one or two vinyl recordings of him. They get played too rarely.
  • You've got me on Paganini, my friend. I don't know much about him.
  • edited August 2023
    I used to sell and own one of these. I know more about it than the composer/maestro, although I have now read up.

Very pleasant sounding machine. Unfortunately I had it paired with the same manufacturers Puccini se amp, together a snadge too smooth for me but separately very good indeed with the right partners.
    They were purchased as much for looks as sound, to be brutally honest! It was the first system in my/our newly-weds first home.
    Partnered with silver cassette deck and tuner from Onkyo, the very capable Project 2.9 Classic (cherry finish) and Opera Primas also in cherry.

Sounded plenty good enough, looked lovely and with wife friendly ease of use.

• One of the reasons why I continue to listen to Steely Dan, 
  • One of the reasons why I continue to listen to Steely Dan, 
    Fantastic! 
  • Guess where YouTube sent me today.... . guess.... no go on guess, no? well I will tell you ;) 
  • Guess where YouTube sent me today.... . guess.... no go on guess, no? well I will tell you ;) 
    And how did you get on with them?
  • Sorry guys, that falls on barren ground with me.
    How about a little...

That's about as close to jazz as I'll venture.

• I'd call that jazz.

I've never heard of him, though.
  • cj66 said:
    Sorry guys, that falls on barren ground with me.

Strangely enough, it doesn't do a great deal for me, either. It's not as fiery as Parker can get and the old-fashioned chugging rhythm. Nah!

I start taking notice of jazz sometime around the mid-50s (with some music from the early 50s, but that's a rarity), when people like Mingus and Monk are chewing the edges and coming up with their own music, confident in what they're doing.
  • Was just amused how far it was from my search parameters, made me think of someone here o:)
  • And now for something completely different, 
  • Was just amused how far it was from my search parameters, made me think of someone here o:)
    Who might that be?