Listening to ...

Comments

• John Coltrane - Live at the Half Note

This is amazing! Even with the DJ interrupting proceedings and the odd audio dropout. 

The quartet are absolutely on fire. It's easy to focus on Coltrane and Elvin Jones, but Jimmy Garrison and McCoy Tyner are fearsome, too. 

I can't work listening to this!
  • OK. I'm wrapping up for the day, so it's an excuse for another Coltrane from the same period, also released posthumously.

John Coltrane - Sun Ship, The Complete Session

The above is the original album, released in 1971, and re-released on CD sometime in the 90s, if I remember correctly (I remember the excitement when it came out then). 
  • For no other reason than I like it, have two early albums by Mc Tyner....
  • For no other reason than I like it, have two early albums by Mc Tyner....
    It's as good a reason as any!

I saw the trio twice and found them disappointing because they only exhibited one side of Tyner's art, the steamrollering energy that he evolved, presumably, to survive onstage between Coltrane and Elvin Jones. The gigs were exhausting. The gig you found seems to have more light and shade. 

But I also saw Tyner's Latin Big Band at the Barbican sometime in the 90s, and the gig was fantastic! Tyner stopped for breath, and the noise of the big band was somehow a natural place for him (there is a studio album released a bit after I saw them - McCoy Tyner and the Latin All-Stars. I'm listening to it now). 
  • edited September 2023
    Easing into the day...

JJ Cale - Number 10

I hope this collection of tracks is the album, I listened to Sam's CD. Nice stuff on this one.
  • Followed by:

John Scofield Band - Uberjam

Funky, groovy, jazzy, spacy...
  • And, for today's increasing heat, some classic ECM chilly landscapes:

Terje Rypdal, Miroslav Vitous and Jack DeJohnette

The opening track. I can't see much else on YT, though  :/
  • I'm enjoying this:

Tomorrow Comes The Harvest - Evolution

• The big band ain't dead. Somehow Darcy James Argue keeps an 18-piece together:

Darcy James Argue's Secret Society - Dynamic Maximum Tension

The title? Borrowed from Buckminster Fuller, a kind of hero of mine. 
  • Tomorrow Comes The Harvest the other day got me thinking about this, another foray from dance music into jazzier climes. This time, Carl Craig:

The Detroit Experiment

There's a lot of the album on YT, but not assembled into an easy playlist, as far as I can see.
  • A taste of my youth 
  • And now one more, for any one who has indulged in that stuff B)...
  • A taste of my youth 
    Great stuff!
  • And now one more, for any one who has indulged in that stuff B)...
    Has anyone sent out for pizza for those guys?   ;)  :)  >:)
  • Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys 

Hendrix at his finest (even if someone can't spell :) )
  • Talking about the man ..
  • My favorite Frankie song, tremendous production and recording on vinyl...
  • Talking about the man ..
    Great stuff! I bet that blew a few cobwebs away  :)
  • My favorite Frankie song, tremendous production and recording on vinyl...
    Have you got the baggy t-shirt to go with it?  :)
  • OK. Here's something to shake up your ears!

I never knew this existed. Fantastic stuff, and you can hear why Williams added Jack Bruce to the band. I'm not a great Bruce fan, but his playing fits in here like nowhere else! And a rare chance to see my favourite Hammond player, Larry Young. 
  • Soft Machine on Beat Club, too

Wonderful to hear this line-up - Robert Wyatt on drums, Hugh Hopper on bass, Mike Ratledge on keys and Elton Dean on sax. Possibly the jazziest the Softs got? I don't know  :) 
  • Time for...

Public Image Limited - Happy?

The first track, Seattle, is a belter!
  • edited September 2023
    It's Sunday morning, what do you say to a little spirituals?
    James Brandon Lewis, Red Lily Quintet - For Mahalia, With Love

Open your ears. Open your heart. To James Brandon Lewis channeling the spirit of singer Mahalia Jackson, who his grandmother saw singing in church during the 1940s.
    This music is extraordinary!
  • edited October 2023
    Just a bit of a curiosity here.
    I've heard their "Ethanopium" on RP a few times a d meant to dig in.

Today was that day!

Mostly stuff I'm a bit adversely sensitised to due to over exposure of Thai pop but there are a few gems. Stay away from covers, there original material is much better. I also prefer the Khmer singer not being lead and the English speaking songs, that's more down to my difficult-to-please attitude to female singers in general, finding many too screachy or over confident in their own wailing abilities!

Here's another with a bit of humour...

• cj66 said:
    Just a bit of a curiosity here.
    I've heard their "Ethanopium" on RP a few times a d meant to dig in.

I know that I guess, from RP, but I seldom listen to them, TBH. But I like this track a lot.
    cj66 said:
    Today was that day!
    cj66 said:
    Mostly stuff I'm a bit adversely sensitised to due to over exposure of Thai pop but there are a few gems. Stay away from covers, there original material is much better. I also prefer the Khmer singer not being lead and the English speaking songs, that's more down to my difficult-to-please attitude to female singers in general, finding many too screachy or over confident in their own wailing abilities!

cj66 said:
    Here's another with a bit of humour...

I'm not convinced by either of the singers, but I know what you mean about the woman singer, although I don't usually have your difficult-to-please thing going on  :)
  • uglymusic said:
     But I like this track a lot.

I thought you might!
    The sax in particular is reminiscent of some of the jazzy numbers you've posted......but without the ugliness >:)

It reminds me of one in particular but struggling to think which, pretty sure it's a major artist?

• cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:
     But I like this track a lot.

I thought you might!
    The sax in particular is reminiscent of some of the jazzy numbers you've posted......but without the ugliness >:)

It reminds me of one in particular but struggling to think which, pretty sure it's a major artist?

I can't think, but playing it again, there's almost a reggae feel (as opposed to a reggae beat). 

I'll continue thinking about what jazz it could be. 
  • William Parker - Crumbling in the Shadows is Fraulein Miller's Stale Cake

Does this count as Ugly, I wonder?
  • And, just to keep some of you amused...  :)

Ornette Coleman Sextet - Live in Germany 1978

The band that later became Prime Time. At this stage, they had James 'Blood' Ulmer on guitar and Ronald Shannon Jackson on drums, who would soon depart for their own projects. 

This music is looser than that played by the later band. A fascinating document. 
  • And, by 1987, the band had changed a bit personnel-wise and sounded like this:

Enjoy!
  • Matthew Shipp Trio - For Duke

IMHO Shipp is sometimes fantastic, other times unlistenable. This is a brilliant reworking (extending?) of some of Ellington's most well-known tunes. It's avant-garde, of course, but the trio honour Ellington's work, rather than just pull it apart and kick it around the park. 
  • A day for reflections....
  • A day for reflections....
    Great stuff! It led me to this:

• ...and then there's this:

Even better than the original, I'd say.
  • Back to Dave's mainstream. 

For years (decades), Jackie McLean was overshadowed in my estimation and listening by other alto titans (Ornette Coleman, Art Pepper, Eric Dolphy, Arthur Blythe, and so on), but he grew on me. Now, his albums on Blue Note in the 60s are played as much as any of the others'.

So here, McLean's last for Blue Note, Demon's Dance:

Ugliness rating: zero.  :)
  • And the one before:

Jackie McLean - New and Old Gospel

With Ornette Coleman in a rare sideman appearance, playing trumpet, of all things. McLean was right in his choice of frontline partner, too.
  • James Brandon Lewis - An Unruly Manifesto

Is this the start of Lewis's amazing current wave of creativity? This album has the late-lamented Jaimie Branch (jaimie branch, I think) on trumpet, matching the incendiary Lewis. 
  • The man always does it for me...
  • Just found this on the "tube" any takers?..
  • For me its been a time with drummers, 
  • And last but by no means least, 
  • Tried him, cute but not much in the way of drums?
  • Spent a lot of time on radio Paradise and YouTube lately, it led me here full circle...
  • Spent a lot of time on radio Paradise and YouTube lately, it led me here full circle...

...which led me to this :)

• The man sure can play, love it! B)
  • The man sure can play, love it! B)
    Can't he, just!