Young DAC

Comments

• They are on their way ,collected a few moments ago, I tried a couple couldn't hear any problems with a variety of music, using USB and AES ,s/pdif, I do hope you'll enjoy them.
    Kind regards Keith.
  • where did mine go to Keith?  Work or home-sweet-home?
    Best for the w/e.
    Andy
  • Thanks Keith
  • Andy Hi, where did I send the last one?
    Work I think, sorry if that isn't convenient, I have packed a lot of dacs today, and am suffering from craft paper blindness!
    Regards Keith.
  • No that's fine Keith.  I can just alert the porters.
  • Mine just arrived. At work at the moment - will have a play later.
  • oh you tease  :0&
  • Still waiting  :-W
  • But not any longer! :-)

The M2Tech has landed.
  • Hi Guys. Another Young DAC 'loaner' here. Mac drivers downloaded and all ready to go. I was using a hiface Evo and Lavry DA11 before so this should make for an interesting comparison.

James
  • Clicks disappeared so far  :)
  • Hi Guys. Another Young DAC 'loaner' here. Mac drivers downloaded and all ready to go. I was using a hiface Evo and Lavry DA11 before so this should make for an interesting comparison.

James
    Hi James

I'm sure everyone will be interested in your thoughts on the comparison.
  • Please do let me know if you discover any problems, also an ideal opportunity to see whether burn in exists!
    Very best wishes to you all, and thanks so much for your patience, you were perfectly entitled to kick up a stink and you didn't ,I really appreciate that.
    If there is ever anything I can do for you ,just let me know.
    Btw Marco hopes to take a prototype Vaughn dacto Munich!
    Very best,Keith.
  • Thanks Keith

No problems so far. 

I also have a sneaking suspicion that this one sounds better than the original. The bass end sounds more powerful and better defined - remember I said I thought the old one originally sounded bass-light before I went through the Mac upgrade?
  • I got mine at 7:40 this morning! I plumbed it in and left ot to play by itself while I am out most of the day.

When I popped back this morning for a coffee with a friend we started chatting about bluegrass, soI  stuck on a little Gillian Welch & Alison Krauss for ten minutes. That is the extent of my listening so far, but I found the bass recessed with little texture.

I'll check back in later, hopefully with better news. The fit & finish is really very good with this DAC, a lot better than my first.
  • Yes. I noticed the finish is better on this one. There were a few irregularities in the case of the first.
  • It's early days but it looks like the Young is going to consign my Lavry to the great hi-fi scrapyard in the sky. I was supposed to go to the gym two hours ago but I can't peel myself off the sofa :)
  • Get to the gym!
    Br Keith.
  • My thoughts on burn-in:

It took two or three tracks to go from dry and papery sounding to very good, but I'm sure it sounds better now, after some hours' playing than it did two or three tracks in.

Anyone agree that V2 sounds better than V1? I'm pretty convinced it does having tried a good spread of music and productions.
  • Haven't had a sufficient go yet, but it sounds just excellent to me now. It has shed all it's former issues, it holds lock when digital TV does it's thing and changing sources, no pops or crackles either.

I watched Return of the Jedi with the children through it this afternoon - Best Burn-in ever!
  • James, v interesting.  I didn't do the evo comparison. But, comparing a DA10 with a standard HiFace input I chose the Young.  I'll be interested to see which way you go.  btw, check out the comments on importance of psu :-)
    Andy
  • God, I hate you all.  My DAC has gone to work...and I'm not going there until Tuesday .... I'm dying here.  Dying I tell you, albeit with pizza and champagne  :(|)
  • You wouldn't like it Andy.....

MUCH!
    ~:>
  • You have my sympathy anyway......
  • ah go listen to Abba!  :-) 

...Really glad you lot are happy with your DACs.
  • Really impressed with the Young over SPDIF from my CEC.
    Looks like it's gonna be a keeper!
    Will have to investigate a PSU upgrade.
  • Really enjoying this evenings session; this Young does sound different to the last one. Better? Maybe.

If Carlsberg made DACs...
  • edited February 2011
    I too got my v2 Young yesterday and agree the sound quality has improved a little and all the clicks etc seem to have stopped.
    I do think my new Amarra purchase would benefit from more RAM in my mini so will look into that soon....

• Very lively and interesting thread!

Congratulations that (some of) you have got the v2 M2Tech Dac! Keep the listening reports coming, as I am still struggling to have an idea of how good this interesting DAC really is.
    I see that some of you use a MAC as transport. This is not an option for me at this point in time. What sort of transport will make the Young really sing?

Best wishes,
    Peter
  • I heard my friends Micromega CD Transport through the Young via COAX and it sounded sublime !
  • I'm awaiting my returned V2 from my US dealer.  Does it use new drivers?  Reason i ask is that the driver website shows same 148106 mac driver version.
  • Drivers are the same......
  • Ted Hi, I believe they are the same drivers , I am sure you will get your replacement soon, the Young was designed primarily for computers but it also sounds good through aes and s/pdif.
    Keith.
  • I think a good deal of the Young's quality comes from its Async re-clocking as opposed to D to A conversion, so any computer if set up well should be excellent.

The DAC itself is nothing if not superb, so I expect it sounds just fine fed from a CD player too, though you'll obviously miss out on some of the design's capabilities. The issue of whether to stream ripped files or CDs directly comes into play here. The Young is a tool with it's orientation towards computer audio use, it shouldn't matter which flavour computer you use.
  • I was only asking about new drivers cuz as posted earlier the original driver would get lost, or report improperly to core audio, thereby switching channels, etc.  I was assuming Marco tweaked the drivers when he/they did the V2 upgrades/fixes.
  • Hi Andy. I'm very interested in upgrading the power supply if I end up purchasing the Young. When using the Evo I power it with a 9v battery and there is a noticeable improvement in sound quality.

Is there an aftermarket plug and play power supply option for the Young? I'm not in the least bit technically minded so have ruled myself out of building one. Any links gratefully appreciated.

I would also like to echo what others have said about the Young being first and foremost a USB DAC. Yes it sounds good via coax, but there is a clear improvement in SQ when fed via USB.....in my system at least. I look forward to hearing what it sounds like with an improved power supply.

James
  • There isn't an aftermarket regulated supply, though friendly DIYers can be persuaded to help. There is a battery option from Keith coming along imminently, I believe.

Ted - interesting point re drivers. Was the glitch that caused channel swapping in the drivers then - or the firmware on the DAC?  I haven't had channel inversion yet, but it was pretty rare on the last one tbh.

• Ted - interesting point re drivers. Was the glitch that caused channel swapping in the drivers then - or the firmware on the DAC?  I haven't had channel inversion yet, but it was pretty rare on the last one tbh.
    What he said.
  • I've got a Naim NAPSC on it's way to try with the Young.
    I'll report on improvements (if any !)
  • Well, technically it could be the firmware...but the drivers are what ultimately tell core audio what to do, and so it could be caused in either area I guess.  I assume Marco knows best...just surprised that with all the changes, both in firmware and physical board, that the drivers were intact all along, that's all. 

I'll certainly report back when I get my V2 and put it through its paces.  :)

• Will be most interested in your views Ted, and you make an interesting observation concerning the drivers.

I have to say I am impressed by v2, though I haven't spent enough time with it yet. The whole DAC is more the finished article now, which does make a difference. For one thing, v1 had areas of great potential, making it very exiting. It was like an Alfa Romeo, very stimulating but not quite there....but you could forgive it.

V2 is there, it is so the finished article that it almost seems to initially not be special, there is nothing to focus on and no counterpoint to highlight the good areas. That is because there are no bad areas anymore - it is all good. I have to say, I am not sure what more I want from music replay.
  • Thanks for the power supply suggestions. I've spoken with Teddy Pardo who is going to make a revised TeddyEvo to power my Young DAC. Should be here in a couple of weeks.
  • Brumjam.

How much will the revised TeddyEvo will set you back?

Best wishes,
    Peter
  • Well, how interesting.  I've been A/B-ing Young Dac v1 vs v2 all afternoon (Thanks Keith, it arrived safely today) and they're not the same.  Firstly, v2 does not clip: excellent.  But even more obvious is a difference in how it handles bass.  The bass is clearly even better, the note has a little more "drive"/attack and completes better. This is clear on electronica and on Jazz, and really works on large orchestral works. The balance hasn't been upset but the overall result is different to v1 and better imho.  The nerd within wants to know more about the changes made (although I doubt I'd understand) but the hedonist doesn't give a jot as I have the best digital source I've ever heard.  Oh, and the case finish and CNC milling is of a higher standard.  I'm very pleased indeed. Thanks M2Tech and Keith of Purite Audio, you chickens done good  :D :D :D
    Andy
  • Hi Peter,

It's 230 euro which equates to about 200 sterling. Teddy reckons it should be despatched in 2-3 days.

James
  • Well, how interesting.  I've been A/B-ing Young Dac v1 vs v2 all afternoon (Thanks Keith, it arrived safely today) and they're not the same.  Firstly, v2 does not clip: excellent.  But even more obvious is a difference in how it handles bass.  The bass is clearly even better, the note has a little more "drive"/attack and completes better. This is clear on electronica and on Jazz, and really works on large orchestral works. The balance hasn't been upset but the overall result is different to v1 and better imho.  The nerd within wants to know more about the changes made (although I doubt I'd understand) but the hedonist doesn't give a jot as I have the best digital source I've ever heard.  Oh, and the case finish and CNC milling is of a higher standard.  I'm very pleased indeed. Thanks M2Tech and Keith of Purite Audio, you chickens done good  :D :D :D
    Andy
    Yep. That's what I've been saying on the sonics. Glad you're in agreement, and I've not been fooling myself :-)
  • I know Dave, but I'm just a doubting-Andy and needed to hear for mysen.
  • Of course you had to hear for yourself!

It's good to have what I've heard confirmed.
  • All arrived safe and sound Keith, previous will be back with you imminently.

The casework finish is slightly better, sounded quite steely for a track or two then settled down. Haven't noticed any difference in the bass.

TO THE NAPSC GUY- you better check that your Napsc doesn't actually output 27v before you plug anything in...
  • Hi Simon.  I didn't listen to mine at first, just plugged it in with some music and went out for a few hrs.  Id missed the NAPSC PSU post, this doesn't look good.
    Best, Andy