Listening to ...

Comments

• I haven't seen them in years but I reckon I saw them at least 5 times in the 80s and 90s.  I love Tom Sawyer and Red Barchetta live - fantastic stuff.

You guys just Rush or other "progressive" stuff?
  • Bob Marley - Exodus
  • Bob Marley - Exodus

Classic!
  • Rush - Moving Pictures
  • I'd forgotten how funky YYZ is
    B-)
  • King Crimson - In The Court of the Crimson King
  • Keb Mo - 1st album
  • Matthew Shipp – Pastoral Composure

Almost Blue Series meets Blue Note in some places.
  • Jeff Beck - Blow by Blow
    It's years since I've heard that.
  • The Bill Evans is good. If you like it, you should treat yourself to the Village Vanguard album and Waltz for Debby.

Yup, and then get Know What I Mean and hear the Cannonball play Debby  - bliss
    :)
    Chaps - I am bit worried about getting the 'wrong' issues - are the remasters any good? I know they're often louder. Could you point me to suitable purchases for all three please?
  • The Bill Evans is good. If you like it, you should treat yourself to the Village Vanguard album and Waltz for Debby.

Yup, and then get Know What I Mean and hear the Cannonball play Debby  - bliss
    Chaps - I am bit worried about getting the 'wrong' issues - are the remasters any good? I know they're often louder. Could you point me to suitable purchases for all three please?
    I'm sorry, I can't help you on that. My CDs are 20-odd years old. Have you tried Googling to see if anyone has anything to say about the reissues?
  • I think I will. Maybe older second hand is the way forward (or back)!
    It's years since I've heard that.

Me too, which is why it got dragged out.  Still sounds good I reckon.
  • Vinyl :-)

%-(Ha! Should have guessed! In general though, remasters tend to muck things up, don't they? I hate the RVG blue note ones. I reckon his hearing is losing it's HF, so he turns it up too much!
  • Vinyl :-)

%-(Ha! Should have guessed! In general though, remasters tend to muck things up, don't they? I hate the RVG blue note ones. I reckon his hearing is losing it's HF, so he turns it up too much!
    Heresy time: I've never been that convinced by the Rudy Van Gelder Fan Club. Give me today's ECMs and AUM Fidelities any day. 
  • It's a tricky one I reckon.  I don't have that many original pressings.  A lot of the music I listen to was made before I was old enough to buy it.  The ones that I do have sound good.  But then the later reissues I have sound good as well.  And original pressings now sell for more than I'd pay for a piece of music - I'm not a collector for the sake of it.

I'm in favour of remastering in general terms as a lot of older stuff had high levels of hiss and noise, Kind Of Blue comes to mind here.  Anything that be done to rid the music of noise is a good thing. As for remixing - I've never seen the point TBH.

One of the most ridiculous dems I've ever heard was about 5 years ago at a national hifi show.  A very well known UK manufacturer was using an original vinyl pressing of KOB - all you could hear was tape hiss.  When someone complained it was explained that their replay system was so good that you could hear all the original noise.  I got up and left.

I've got a few RVGs on CD.  They sound OK but not particularly special.

I also don't hold Blue Note in any real esteem either.  Lots of the output was brilliant but lots was derivitve.
  • JimJim
    edited January 2011
    Jeff Healy - Hell To Pay

With a very good cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps.
  • Big Bill Broonzy - Remembering Big Bill Broonzy
  • Can – Flow Motion

If you look very closely, you may be able to discern a pattern to my listening this evening.
  • Manfred Mann - Nightingales & bombers
    Tom Petty - Mojo
    Fleetwood Mac - rumours (on vinyl)
  • Nice selection Scotty. BBC4 has a Tom Petty night coming up some Friday soon I think - unless it is a repeat of the Damn the Torpedoes doc.

I must get Damn the Torpedoes - I think HD tracks do it in 24/96 now?
  • Alan,

BBC4 Have some good music docs/progs - thanks for the heads up

Scotty
  • Gerry Mulligan - The Original Gerry Mulligan Quartet

401/Decca
  • Bill Evans - Alone

Digital
  • Keith Jarrett - Koln Concert 

From HDtracks.
  • I think I will. Maybe older second hand is the way forward (or back)!
    Have you seen the bargain 3CD reissue of Evans' VV albums on Amazon?
  • I have now! Thank you very much.
    :-D
  • Art Pepper - Mosaic Disc 1
  • Buena Vista Social Club

Sounds fantastic with the Young.
  • JimJim
    edited January 2011
    Stan Kenton - Solo Piano

401/Decca
  • Stanlet Clarke - Time Exposure

401/Decca
  • Mahler 5 - Barbirolli/Philharmonia (1969)
  • Bill Evans - Waltz for Debby
  • Duke Ellington - Blues in Orbit
  • Vaughan Williams 3 (LSO/Mr Preview).
  • Oscar Peterson - We Get Requests

• edited January 2011
    Vaughan Williams 3 (LSO/Mr Preview).

:-D
  • Annonball Cadderley - Somethin' Else
  • Annonball Cadderley - Somethin' Else

lovely fella :)
  • It's one of those old-stylee 'warm and warty' Blue Notes that's easy to listen to, but sounds its age, IMO.
  • Not so sure about that?  I don't think it call it warm really.  I agree it doesn't sound particularly modern though.
  • Sounds warm alongside ECMs, for example.

Have you noticed the piano sounds as if someone's wheeled it along the corridor at one stage!
  • Charles Brackeen - Bannar

I pretty nasty mid-80s digital recording, unfortunately.
  • Charles Lloyd - Lift Every Voice, Disc 1

Another lovely recording from my favourite label.