Listening to ...

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Glad to hear it!

Lowell George-era Little Feat are probably my favourite rock (sorta) band off all time. All of the albums are just great, IMHO.

Never saw them with Lowell George. Saw them without him a couple of times in the 80s. They were too polished by then, though.
  • I saw the Feat on Newsnight! Some months ago now, they were playing at a rally in support of some republican candidate or other. I was trying to listen to them over the what the journo was saying.
  • They were supporting Republicans?

I don't think Lowell George would have done that! (Or would he?)
  • I was thinking the same, I doubt he would have done.
  • It was surprising to see, regardless of politics I was slightly disappointed tbh. There is history with southern bands and politics (particularly republican) of course.

you have to wonder just how many 'feats are original anyway, most bands have seen more lineup changes by this point in their career then the republicans have fielded candidates.
  • Monk Quartet - Work!
  • ELP - Brain Salad Surgery
  • It was surprising to see, regardless of politics I was slightly disappointed tbh. There is history with southern bands and politics (particularly republican) of course.

you have to wonder just how many 'feats are original anyway, most bands have seen more lineup changes by this point in their career then the republicans have fielded candidates.
    Although Little Feat had/have a southern sound, Lowell George was born and raised in LA, and played with Frank Zappa there.

Cecil Taylor - Nefertiti: The Beautiful One Has Come.

Excellent, my favourite version of Waltz for Debby

• Frank Sinatra - Live At The Sands

Original double LP.  Superb sound quality, amongst the best in my collection.

Today's quiz:

One LP is labelled Sides 1 and 4, the other 2 and 3.

Why did they do that?
  • So you could play them continuously if you have two decks?

Excellent, my favourite version of Waltz for Debby

Not mine, though. I prefer Evans' own versions, but you know that. 

His versions have a wonderful pulse to them.
  • edited May 2012
  • So you could play them continuously if you have two decks?

Nope, any more offers?
  • Cannonball Adderley - Something Else

Art Pepper - Tokyo Debut
  • Frank Sinatra - Live At The Sands

Original double LP.  Superb sound quality, amongst the best in my collection.

Today's quiz:

One LP is labelled Sides 1 and 4, the other 2 and 3.

Why did they do that?
    I have the CD - of all the concerts in the last 100 years I reckon that would have been one of the very best.

Is it to do with the taping at the concert? Or some contractual thing with the record label? I honestly have no idea.
  • Nope. 

But it's one of the few I have that has no tracks as such.  It just plays through from one song to the next.  Really adds to the event.
  • No other offers?

Believe it or not it's so they can both be stacked onto a record changer together. Side 1 plays through and the arm returns to rest. The next LP is dropped down and side 2 plays. When that's done they're both turned over and sides 3 and 4 are played.

Very fond memories of seeing that done in the 60s as a boy :-)
  • Jimmy Smith - Midnight Special
  • edited May 2012
    A record - changer...? Ah, like an early CD multi-changer!  ;)

Jim, my car blew up yesterday so I can't pop over as soon as I liked, and I have to work on the windows like mad to pay for the repair bill!  I should be able to drop the amps over within a fortnight if that's OK? I'll keep you posted.
  • Rather like the picture Alan.

No worries mate, hope you get it sorted.
  • No other offers?

Believe it or not it's so they can both be stacked onto a record changer together. Side 1 plays through and the arm returns to rest. The next LP is dropped down and side 2 plays. When that's done they're both turned over and sides 3 and 4 are played.

Very fond memories of seeing that done in the 60s as a boy :-)
    That was common/usual for double albums back then?
  • I don't think double albums were that common then except in the classical field.  I've got a couple so I'll look today.

That's a future theme for the day, double albums!
  • I think you're right re non-classical doubles.

Could be a good TOTD.
  • At Ease with Coleman Hawkins - superb on vinyl

Very sweet sax playing if not exactly pushing jazz boundaries.

• OK. I'll be good, too:

Konitz/Mehldau/Haden/Motian - Live at Birdland
  • A record - changer...? Ah, like an early CD multi-changer!  ;)

Jim, my car blew up yesterday so I can't pop over as soon as I liked, and I have to work on the windows like mad to pay for the repair bill!  I should be able to drop the amps over within a fortnight if that's OK? I'll keep you posted.
    Oh dear. You don't have too much luck with four-wheeled ve-hick-els, do you?

Hope the repair bill isn't too horrendous.
  • Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Flies High
  • edited May 2012
    Miles Davis - Dig

Sounds like one of his heroin albums, a bit woozy and unfocused.
  • Who else is on that one?
  • Sonny Rollins, Jackie McLean (three tracks), Walter Bishop Jr, Tommy Potter, Charles Mingus & Art Blakey.
  • Blimey! Good line up.
  • JimJim
    edited May 2012
    Charles Mingus - Scenes In The City
  • Blimey! Good line up.
    But they sound as if they're not at the top of their game. Not as crisp as they should be.

• Oh dear. You don't have too much luck with four-wheeled ve-hick-els, do you?

Hope the repair bill isn't too horrendous.
    Thanks mate. Its a blown Turbo & EGR, dont fancy it myself. I have a rebuilt turbo on its way and a local engineer waiting to pounce. On tuesday... Shouldnt be too much over £750!! Never mind, to be fair the old girl has done over 153k miles without so much as a hiccup.
  • Ouch! 

Yours has done even more miles than my Subaru!
  • Beatles - Sgt Pepper's
  • Itchy Fingers - Quark
  • Herb Geller - Stax Of Sax
  • John Coltrane - Coltranology

A 20 minute version of My Favourite Things

B-)
  • Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite
  • JimJim
    edited May 2012
    Art Pepper - Alpha Omega

Carl Perkins on piano :-)
  • Sonny Rollins - Freedom Suite