Listening to ...

Comments

• Van der Graff Generator - To He Who Am The Only One

Is this jazz?  I reckon it might be.
    I disagree with you there, Jim. How is VDGG jazz?? 

It's got the edgy jazz feel to it, not always but often enough to make me think jazz and not rock.  But then most "progressive" rock has always sounded like jazz to me.
  • Count Basie - Chairman Of The Board
  • Van der Graff Generator - To He Who Am The Only One

Is this jazz?  I reckon it might be.
    I disagree with you there, Jim. How is VDGG jazz?? 

It's got the edgy jazz feel to it, not always but often enough to make me think jazz and not rock.  But then most "progressive" rock has always sounded like jazz to me.
    The stiff rhythm playing on most prog rock is what divides it from jazz, to my ears. It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing  :-"
  • Ah I see what you mean.  Never occurred to me.  I go by feel - ooer missus
    :O
  • Strangely enough, so do I. The feel of the rhythm section. I believe it's why my teenage tastes were never quenched by my friends' tastes in prog music. There wasn't much of the jazz, funk and soul that I really like from the 70s around at Wilson's Grammar. 

My 'black' music tastes really clicked into place in my 20s, when I suddenly realised what I listen to in music. It's also why I make the decisions I do about the hi-fi I own.
  • Hugh Hopper & Kramer – A Remark Hugh Made

With a rather nice piece of Robert Wyatt on the first track.
  • Strangely enough, so do I. The feel of the rhythm section. I believe it's why my teenage tastes were never quenched by my friends' tastes in prog music. There wasn't much of the jazz, funk and soul that I really like from the 70s around at Wilson's Grammar. 

My 'black' music tastes really clicked into place in my 20s, when I suddenly realised what I listen to in music. It's also why I make the decisions I do about the hi-fi I own.

Interesting.  I really can't explain why I like certain music and often I'm not sure if I know.  I have loads of criteria.  Sometimes it's the voice or the way the guitar sounds or the sound quality etc etc.  If it grabs my attention and holds on to it then I usually end up liking it and it get further air-play here.
  • Yeah. My rhythm foibles can rule out all sorts of stuff - Indie rock, where the drummer often just can't play; Country & Western; a lot of folk; most Classical music... 
  • Yeah. My rhythm foibles can rule out all sorts of stuff - Indie rock, where the drummer often just can't play; Country & Western; a lot of folk; most Classical music... 

:-)) :-))
  • Bob Dylan - Desire
  • Daevid Allen & Kramer – Who's Afraid?

Clicking through to some more left-field stuff on Spotti. Mind you, the cover has made me think of playing some Steely Dan.
  • You haven't joined the covers playlist yet Dave

AudioChews Covers
  • You haven't joined the covers playlist yet Dave

AudioChews Covers
    No. I haven't, have I?

I have a great one, just here 
    ;-)
  • Mark Kozelek - What's Next To The Moon
  • Nils-Petter Molvaer - Khmer
  • Back in my office...

Atomic - Feet Music

Paal Nilsson-Love and Ingebrigt Haker Flaten of The Thing fame, in a more conventional quintet setting. It's on Spotti, but you can't play it in the UK :-( 

I can't remember where my CD came from.
  • Nik Bärtsch's Ronin – Hishiryo - Piano Solo

Actually, not the Ronin band, but as the title says, solo piano.

@Jim. If you've still got jazz piano-itis, you should give Bartsch a listen. He has a pretty unique approach to the instrument and to improvised music.
  • Thanks mate.  I've got piano-itis full stop - I'm loving any of it at the moment.

I'll check this fella out.
  • Al di Meola, John McLauglin and Paco de Lucia - Friday Night In San Fransisco
  • Selections from The Mikado - SWMBO on the piano in the next room :)
  • Yellowjackets - Altered State.
  • Keith Jarrett  - Changless
  • One of my favourite Jarrett trio albums.
  • The Band - 1st LP
  • Dire Straits - Telegraph Road
  • David Sylvian - Sleepwalkers
  • Ahmad Jamal - The Essence Part One
  • Hugh Hopper - Hopper Tunity Box
  • edited February 2011
    Listening to bits and pieces this evening, as I try to get to grips with the Eva II optical pre-amp. So far:

Oliver Nelson - The Blues and the Abstract Truth
    Jah Wobble & Evan Parker - Passage to Hades
    Arve Henriksen - Cartography
    Tord Gustavsen Ensemble - Restored, Returned
  • Ahmad Jamal - Rossiter Road
  • Ahmad Jamal - Rossiter Road
    "Miss Jones, Miss Jones"?  :-D
  • Oh, Mr Rigsby!!
  • Black Uhuru - Love Dub
    Free System Projekt 'Moyland' (2005)
    Part of the retro electro scene influenced by Tangerine Dream I discovered a few years ago. Great live, epecially when I saw them in a church a couple of years ago.
  • They're news to me, Jamie!
  • I will post something in the Electronica section over the weekend. Nearly ten years ago when I discovered the Tangerine Tree bootleg project (condoned by the band), someone sent me some recordings of bands from a small music scene influenced by them. I now have a healthy collection of such bands, and have seen a fair number of gigs too. You do have to have a beard to attend though!
  • Sounds good Jamie
  • Craig Taborn - Junk Magic
  • Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes
  • edited February 2011
    Fred Anderson & Hamid Drake - Back Together Again

Drake is my favourite drummer of the moment and he's brilliant in this duet setting.
  • Wishbone ash - live dates 1
    Blue nile - A walk across the rooftops
    Thin lizzie - live and dangerous
    Robert plant - Fate of nations

• I will post something in the Electronica section over the weekend. Nearly ten years ago when I discovered the Tangerine Tree bootleg project (condoned by the band), someone sent me some recordings of bands from a small music scene influenced by them. I now have a healthy collection of such bands, and have seen a fair number of gigs too. You do have to have a beard to attend though!

Have you seen this mate?

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/

Loads of concert recordings.  I know of at least two more but can't remember what they're called :(
  • I like Wolfgangs Vault, but the audio is a bit compressed, however their Led Zeppelin T-shirts, poster and mugs are excellent. They deliver internationally very quickly too.

The best place for uncompressed bootleg/session/etc. recordings on the web is the torrent site Dimeadozen, very strictly policed for quality and allowed content. Bands can request to be removed from their site, other requset to be allowed. All uncompressed, although some digital sources are allowed now.

Unfortunately they are nearly always fully subscribed, you have to bookmark their join page and hit F5, and hope a new account comes free, there are apparently around a dozen each day, but far more people than that trying.

There are a few similar sites around to.

Time for bed.
  • Nick Bartsch's Ronin - Llyria

After yesterday's solo record on Spotti, I ordered his latest (with band) from Amazon.
  • Mark Knopfler - Shang-ri-la
  • Atomic - Theatre Tilters
  • I think this is the 1000th comment in this Discussion!
  • Beats & Pieces Big Band - Beats & Pieces EP