Listening to ...

Comments

• Shakti - Natural Elements
  • Pat Metheny - Rejoicing

@Alan. Maybe Mr Metheny could be another way into jazz for you. I'm not sure what's on Spotti.
  • Okkily Dokkily!
  • Speaking of which -

Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else. On the big rig this time.
  • Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

There, I said it 
    :-D

This was the last before bed. I snaffled it quick a few days ago with about a minute to spare, after spotting a 20% discount code for HDtracks! Very nice, and not just because I saved a few pennies...
  • I woke up this morning with TVC15 running through my brain. It took a few seconds to figure out what, although not why. So:

David Bowie - Station to Station
  • William Parker and the Little Huey Creative Music Orchestra - Sunrise in the Tone World

Love the title! If you like Coltrane's Ascension, then this is in a similar bag.
  • Tomasz Stanko Quartet - Suspended Night

Trumpet-playing delicacy and vulnerability isn't just the province of Miles and his followers.
  • Tom Waits - Glitter & Doom Live
  • I'm a big Waits Fan, but Glitter and Doom is just awful, what a diabolical recording. I'll take Nighthawks any day.

Elbow- Build a rocket boys.
    and a lovely old recording of the Brandenburg suites on vinyl on SAGA, yes that Saga, 
  • It's funny you should say that, Simon. I've hardly listened to it since I bought it.

However, I enjoyed it today over the office system.
  • Mark Hollis - self titled
  • Nine Horses - Snow Borne Sorrow

Disc 3, based on a cultured recommendation made a few nights ago!
    Finally got around to ordering another copy today, along with their new release 'build a rocket, boys'. Playing on spotofus.
  • Cristina Branco: Sete Pedaços de Vento
  • Sylvian / Fripp - The First Day (double vinyl)
  • Joe Hubbard/Richard Niles etc: Hubbards Cubbard.
  • Black Dyke Band: Contest Music.
  • Kristin Hersh - Hips & Makers
  • edited March 2011
    Geri Allen - Live at the Village Vanguard

What a fantastic trio. Allen, Haden and Motian playing with real subtlety and concentrated listening. I don't know easy this is to come by these days, because it's on DIW.
  • Free - Fire and water 1st pressing on vinyl
  • Ali Farka Toure - Niafunke
  • Archie Shepp - Yasmina, a black woman
  • Atomic - Theater Tilters
  • Jackie McLean - Destination Out!

I keep coming back to this, so I think I'll have to buy some more of this period Jackie M. I never particularly liked the sound of his alto, but either the current state of my rig or my ears have negated that. Perhaps both?
  • James Blood Ulmer - Memphis Blood: The Sun Sessions
  • John Abercrombie - November
  • Keith Jarrett - Changeless
  • Miles Davis & John Coltrane - The Complete Columbia Recordings, 1955-61, Disc 1
  • Miles Davis & Gil Evans - The Complete Columbia Studio Recordings, Disc 1
  • Atomic - Theatre Tilters

Scandinavian jazz with balls. Right up there with NY free bands, but different. The more I listen to drummer Paal Nilsson-Love, the more astonishing he seems. Must try to catch him live.
  • Lamb: Gabriel
  • The Kills - Midnight Boom
  • Porgy & Bess. Works well on a Sunday afternoon.
    The Miles version?
  • Louis Sclavis/Tom Rainey/Craig Taborn - Eldorado Trio
  • edited March 2011
    Porgy & Bess. Works well on a Sunday afternoon.
    The Miles version?
    Yes - Now listening to 'Sketches of Spain', which was the first 'serious' jazz album I bought after I fell in love with 'Kind of Blue'. What a shock that was....it's only just starting to make some sense. Am I right in guessing there are references to spaghetti westerns?
    The Miles version?
    Yes - Now listening to 'Sketches of Spain', which was the first 'serious' jazz album I bought after I fell in love with 'Kind of Blue'. What a shock that was....it's only just starting to make some sense. Am I right in guessing there are references to spaghetti westerns?
    No. It's based on Rodrigo's Concierto di Aranjuez (sp?).

John Zorn's The Big Gundown is about spaghetti westerns, though.
  • Having a Pineapple thief day after seeing them live last night at Underworld in Camden. brilliant live band.
  • Atomic - The Bikini Tapes
  • edited March 2011
    Jazz on 3 - Anderson, Bennink, Glerum, Möbus, Van Kemenade
  • Mathias Eick - Skala
  • Freddie Hubbard: Ride Like the Wind.