Listening to ...

Comments

• Big Van fan here Mervyn, seen him a few times too a few years back.

I also love St Dominic's Preview, the title track is just fantastic.

Up there as well has to be Tupelo Honey.

likewise Jim. Seen him numerous times in 80's even when he walked off after half a number !
    But when on form he was simply unsurpassable and unforgettable.
    It's too late to stop Now is for me as good as a live album gets and gives you a real flavour of how good he could be live.

I saw him on the same bill as Dylan, sometime in the '90s.  For me it was like being in heaven.  That was my pure joy!!!

My next door neighbour is a roadie.  He's worked for loads of people over the years and worked on Van's crew for 5 years in the early 2000s.  How cool is that!
  • The other one I like is Veedon Fleece. I love Streets of Arklow.
  • Good call Dave one of his lesser known ones but a goodie. Likewise Wavelength Jim much maligned when released but I like it too.

Jim my good friend in Ireland also roadie'd for him on his 80's Irish tour. Spookie what ? Strange bugger by all accounts mumbled a lot with serious mood swings ( no drugs involved well nothing inhaled ) . But once on stage simply awesome.

But back to the vinyl - Into the Music. .Forgotten classic.
  • The other one I like is Veedon Fleece. I love Streets of Arklow.

Yup another good un.
  • Good call Dave one of his lesser known ones but a goodie. Likewise Wavelength Jim much maligned when released but I like it too.

Jim my good friend in Ireland also roadie'd for him on his 80's Irish tour. Spookie what ? Strange bugger by all accounts mumbled a lot with serious mood swings ( no drugs involved well nothing inhaled ) . But once on stage simply awesome.

But back to the vinyl - Into the Music. .Forgotten classic.
    My neighbour has loads of stories - very strange bugger indeed.

• On a flight to Majorca about twelve or 15 years ago the bloke next to me produced a load of sheet music and started to go through it. I noticed some familiar titles and asked why all the Van Morrison titles. The guy said he was the musical director of the Van Morrison band, and we were surrounded by other musos!

Van, on the other hand, was in First Class and we didn't see him.
  • I have to put a hand up for Moondance, of course. I remember loving the title track on the radio when I was a kid. It possibly led to my love of jazz years later.
  • edited March 2012
  • I have to put a hand up for Moondance, of course. I remember loving the title track on the radio when I was a kid. It possibly led to my love of jazz years later.
    Not one of my very favourites, except for Caravan of course.
  • Astral Weeks

On the original recording the right side is much lower in volume for about 30 seconds. Then the engineer realises and it goes straight up :-)
  • Jon Irabagon with Mike Pride - I Don't Hear Nuthin' But The Blues
  • edited March 2012
    Keith Jarrett - El Juicio
  • Cool, Mervyn.

The American Quartet again!
  • Absolutely Dave.

Now Bud Powell - Strictly Powell

• Bob Dylan - The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
  • Yes - Yessongs

Triple vinyl.
  • Art Pepper - The Intimate Art Pepper

Again coz it's so good!
  • Miles Davis - Blue Moods (perfect for a lazy Sunday.)

(Jim might be of interest but my vinyl on Debut was cut at 160 lines per inch as Charles Mingus' wanted his bass to sound better - it works and is seriously deeeep !)

• Jeff Buckley, Haydn, The Headcase Lads.
    Just call me mr. EclectIc...!
  • That would be deep!

I haven't heard Blue Moods, I'll look for a copy.
  • Absolute Radio

Because I'm bloody painting again!!!
  • Ornette Coleman - Tomorrow Is The Question
  • Jimi Hendrix. What a wonderful musician!
  • He-he. My 5 year old son just came in and did some impromptu air guitar to a Jimi solo. Good taste me lado!
    (Now back in his room playing with his transformers.)
  • The Doors - LA Woman

Hendrix going on next ;-)
  • Electric Ladyland
  • Paul Simon - Graceland

25 years old this year :O
  • That has memories... My then girlfriend and I each bought the other a copy. It was the one (musical) place our tastes collided.
  • Tim Berne's Snakeoil on Jazz on 3 playback.

I'm there in the background!
  • Had  a quick blast sounds good, I'll play it later
  • Sonny Rollins - Alfie
  • Luther Allison - Songs from the Road.  
  • Meena - Try Me.  Never even heard of this blues singer until tonight.  Not exactly breaking the mould but if you like your blues a little more upbeat than the norm then check her out.
  • Keith Jarrett - Koln Concert on vinyl
  • Muzak :-(
  • Muzak :-(

Ah, motorway muzak I bet...
  • Muzak in a pub/restaurant.
  • Horace Silver Trio

Early 50s Blue Note. Not original 'fraid.
  • Arthur Blythe - Lenox Avenue Breakdown
  • Now you're talking! Just brilliant
  • Yup, bought a very good s/h vinyl copy this afternoon in Hastings - the Horace Silver too.
  • Ornette Coleman - Twins
  • Yup, bought a very good s/h vinyl copy this afternoon in Hastings - the Horace Silver too.
    Something to run through your record cleaner, then :-)
    Something to run through your record cleaner, then :-)
    Already done sah!
  • Brain Salad Surgery - Emerson Lake & Palmer
  • Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield
  • The Doors - The Soft Parade
  • Sonny Rollins - Newk's Time
  • Sonny Rollins - Newk's Time
    Dunno that one.  Good?
  • I didn't, so it was my first encounter. Seems very much in his mid-50s peak mould.

I just bought Saxophone Colossus, Newk's Time and Tenor Madness on 2CDs for £2.99 from Amazon. Not bad, eh?