Listening to ...

Comments

Young Mr. Whitey here has never got to grips with the politics, but despite this shameful omission, I do enjoy the music.
    Having realised I don't have a(n ahem!) legal copy - just a knackered old tape from my student days - I've just ordered the CD from Messrs Amazon.
    Well done sir.
    Jah rastafari and glory to God.
    You got this Dave...?
    It's cerebral/ugly.
    You got this Dave...?
    It's cerebral/ugly.
    I don't know that at all.

Tell me more!
  • What do you say Dave...?
    Google is your friend.
    Honestly, check them out. I give 70%-on odds on a positive response from your sagely ears.
  • Yeah... But I wanted your description of the audio goings-on ;-)
  • Radio Paradise again.

just heard Anders Osborne, from Living Room - could have sworn it was Lowell George!
  • OK. So from what I can hear it's a cross between acid jazz and drum and bass. Very 90s!
  • OK. So from what I can hear it's a cross between acid jazz and drum and bass. Very 90s!
     Well done for tracking it down.
    =D>
    Tho' somewhat dismissive...That's like me hearing a saxophone and a drums and saying "Very Coltrane"...

;)
  • Not dismissive. Just my impression of where it sits - what I heard wasn't 'ugly'.
  • Cafe del mar 5
    Levitation
    Scorpions acoustica
  • Radio Paradise again.

just heard Anders Osborne, from Living Room - could have sworn it was Lowell George!
    Missed that post. I'll have to find this Lowell George soundalike.

Thanks for the tip.
  • Charles Mingus - Blues And Roots

Brewing up a storm!
  • And yesterday I am glad to say that Dave forced me to listen to music made with that dreaded machine the PIANO and it reminded me of home lovely sound just like bagpipes crushed by a roller after a night on the town.
    The detail that the NVA amp reproduced was good, you could hear every thrash of it't death throws of the poor beast as it struggled to be musical. Thank god it was over quickly as we went for lunch away from the pain and blood.
    :))

Nice day thanks Dave shame about the roads
  • edited October 2012
    :-))  Can't have been Jarrett at Koln then, that would have won you over!
  • It did to be honest, just checking you are awake.
  • And I played some Abdullah Ibrahim as well.

That was two 1970s analogue recordings there.

Was a great lunch, Col.
  • Gil Scott-Heron - I'm New Here

This album takes on additional layers of darkness now that Gil has passed.
  • Jon Hassell - Last Night The Moon Came Dropping Its Clothes In The Street (24/96 - but little point as I'm playing it in the office and the DAC only does 16/48 max)

Still sounds good, though.
  • Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey/Garvey's Ghost

Thanks, Ben, for reminding me about this reggae/dub classic. Growin' mi dread as I listen 
    (*)
  • Grinderman - Grinderman 2
  • Piano, don't mind bob James.
  • edited October 2012
    Don't mention piano, Chris. Colin will only start complaining :-D
  • Plinker plonk. I will not it your choice to listen to a naff musical tool. Try Harp or Sax or even triangle.
  • Triangle. Now you're talking :-)

• Sax. today, grover washington jr, gerald albright and walter beasley plus abit of incognito.

There is a hi-fi company that specializes in one note bass, mm I wonder who. I bet they like triangles to.

There is a hi-fi company that specializes in one note bass, mm I wonder who. I bet they like triangles to.
    I can't think of the name
    :-\"
  • Sax. today, grover washington jr, gerald albright and walter beasley plus abit of incognito.
    Saxophones. Cool!

I can't think of the name
    :-\"
    It ANON to me also.
  • Wibutee - Eight Domestic Challenges
  • Atomic - Happy New Ears!
  • Grinderman - Grinderman
  • Cecil Taylor Unit - Dark To Themselves

Has David S Ware on sax, so has to be worth a go!
  • Bram Stadhouders, Sidsel Endresen & Jim Black - Bell Time
  • Burning Spear - Marcus Garvey/Garvey's Ghost

Thanks, Ben, for reminding me about this reggae/dub classic. Growin' mi dread as I listen 
    (*)
    Glad to remind you of the days of slavery dave...
  • more sax, john klemmer
  • J.J.Cale Shades
  • Alice Coltrane "Translinear Light".
    Where did that come from?

What a great choice, Mr Ben!
    My mother. A few years back.
    I think she saw a documentary or something.
    It's a bit free form form for me. Cracking recording tho'.

Cor! Your Mum's got taste :-)
    Really impressed with the recording of this album. The double bass is the best miced I've heard. Music is a bit sparse tho' - can quite see why Dave enjoys it... ;-)
  • J.J.Cale Shades
    SWMBO loves JJ Cale. I like the laid-back old git, too.
  • Alice Coltrane "Translinear Light".

Really impressed with the recording of this album. The double bass is the best miced I've heard. Music is a bit sparse tho' - can quite see why Dave enjoys it... ;-)
    From memory, most - if not all - is Charlie Haden. He has a very dark bass sound.
  • i
    Alice Coltrane "Translinear Light".

From memory, most - if not all - is Charlie Haden. He has a very dark bass sound.
    Do you mean the inherent tone of his instrument, or the way he plays it...?
  • Yes!

Again, from memory, Haden plays a very old bass. He also has a pretty instantly-recognisable approach to the instrument, which tends to stress the notes (and so, I guess, the sound), rather than the number of notes.
  • It does sound fairly woody and "acoustic". So yeah, I'll go along with that.
    And yes - the bass is fairly melodic as opposed to walking. Nice to listen to actually.
  • As a contrast, try some Gary Peacock. Same sort of age/generation, similar collaborators, but vastly different in approach. Plus lots of fantastic recordings on ECM.
  • Tethered Moon - First Meeting

I love the minimalism of this trio. Masabumi Kikuchi is an ace pianist, even if his nickname appears to be 'Poo' 
    :-$
  • The Thing - Bag it!
  • The Thing with Ken Vandermark - Immediate Sound

OK. It's not easy listening, but it is jazz for those who might be a little worried about such stuff.
  • Thelonious Monk - 5 by Monk by 5

Absolute prime Monk, IMHO.
  • James Blood Ulmer - No Escape From The Blues (The Electric Lady Sessions)