Listening to ...

Comments

• Headphones, then?
  • Yeah, headphones, wouldn't have been a good start to the day had it of been speakers! :-SS
  • edited November 2012
    OK I am coming clean, I bought a Kindle HD firebrick thing and decided to down load good or the best they had of digital lies.
    Rats poo , it sounds very very good, so I will now eat my words about digital lies, yes Alan some was the piano and it to was goodish.

Alex Harvey, B52`s, Phil Collins, Joan Armatrading, Fiddlers Bid and Dire Straits.
  • Are you telling us that you think MP3s sound up with analogue???? 
  • No but, the file I downloaded where good big files not the poor MP3 I normally get forced upon me.
  • Nice one Col, I like some of your choices. For all the banter, I know that analogue can (but doesn't always) sound outstanding; @Jim's setup proved that beyond doubt. I'm glad you found the beginnings of a digital solution. Now you need to make it 'work' and make be a beta tester...  :P

FWIW, I don't have a single MP3 in my music library, bar those Brandenburgs from the other year and some pink noise files. It's lossless all the way.
  • Crooked Still - 'still crooked'.

progressive Bluegrass (!) from Boston (!!) with cello (!!!), nice.
  • Patti Smith, Banga
  • Jeff Buckley. Grace
  • Crooked Still - 'still crooked'.

progressive Bluegrass (!) from Boston (!!) with cello (!!!), nice.

WTF?!
  • Donald Byrd - Free Form

Not what it says on the tin. Instead, a sort of cooler hard bop, if that makes sense.
  • Calexico - Convict Pool
  • Aswad. A New Chapter. Brinsley Forde on radio 4 discussing it, took me back abit. Good stuff.
  • Yeah. I remember seeing them on the stage underneath the Westway at Notting Hill Carnival as well as, I think, Birmingham University.
  • The Nels Cline Singers - Initiate

Distinguished by the fact there's no one on vocals 
    :((

But it does have a fantastic version of Weather Report's Boogie Woogie Waltz, if you care about that kind of thing ;-)
  • edited November 2012
    Ambient Dub Vol 3.
    I thought that this one was a bit pants. But, it's not. It's actually quite good overall.
    :-)

• Is that a compilation?
  • Yes. Ignore the sub heading obviously. From the early 90s a time when such embarrassing drivel was still embarrassing, but somehow acceptable.
    It's a good series of LPs actually. The second one is my favouriteimage (listening to it now)...

• It could just as we'll have been one of the hundreds of albums churned out in the 90s by Bill Laswell.
  • If you say so Dave...

*Furtive glance to the audience, "Bill who...?"*

• Bass player Dave.
    Not muso.
    ;-D
  • There's me thinking you were a muso....
  • Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath - Live at Willisau
  • The Crusaders - Scratch

The title track is an absolute classic. The rest is pretty good, too.

I wish I'd seen them before they went smoother.
  • David Murray - Flowers For Albert

Murray's early classic from the 70s New York Loft Scene. Now I'll have the title track stuck in my brain all weekend!
  • Miles Davis - Big Fun

'nuff said ;-)
  • Cara Dillon - Live at the Grand Opera House (24/48)

I doubt if I'll get all the way through it.
  • John Martyn - Live at Leeds and More

Martyn with a great jazz rhythm section making uncategorizable music.
  • Paul Motian Trio - Lost in a Dream

Another fantastic ECM recording. This time, live at the Village Vanguard.
  • Robert Wyatt - Cuckooland

Wonderful music, beautifully recorded.

I love Cara, but that recording isn't one of my faves ether!

I love Cara, but that recording isn't one of my faves ether!
    What would you recommend, oh oracle?
  • There is a self titlled album and one called 'after the morning', both of which are lovely. Very nice interpretations of some classics (Black is the colour), lovely original material and top folk musicians. She also has a glorious, clear voice.
  • EST - Leucocyte
  • There is a self titlled album and one called 'after the morning', both of which are lovely. Very nice interpretations of some classics (Black is the colour), lovely original material and top folk musicians. She also has a glorious, clear voice.
    Lunchtime? :-)
  • I love Mr. Ryder...
  • Was:

Ernest Ranglin - Alextown

Now:

Sonny Rollins - Alfie

I love this, despite frankly, its lack of ugliness :-)
  • edited November 2012
    Avram Fefer - Eliyahu

I've raved about this musically before, but with the TQ amps it sounds breathtaking, too. There's some cymbal work that I hadn't noticed before, beyond it being a wash. I can now hear the nuances that help make even more sense of the music. 
  • Gil Scott-Heron & Jamie xx - We're New Here

Maybe I'm being an old fart, but I don't think the remixes do much. I prefer the original.
  • The Lounge Lizards - The Lounge Lizards

They may be dismissed by many jazzbos, but I like them. Their albums make me smile ;-)
  • Kazumi Watanabe - Mobo Club

Japanese jazz/rock that somehow overcomes its glossy roboticness to make it an enjoyable listen (warning: Dave has his 80s hat on :-) )
  • Jack DeJohnette - Special Edition
  • Nat Birchall - Sacred Dimension
  • The Nels Cline Singers - Initiate (Studio disc)
  • Eivind Arset - Light Extracts

Really growing on me tonight.
    (BTW it's Rob Gallagher formerly of Galliano)
  • Ahmed Abdul-Malik - East Meets West

This is fantastic. Enjoying it hugely.