Young DAC

Comments

• looking at your sig - do you have to list your medication?
    :0&
  • I suppose I do ;-)
  • edited March 2011
    The new drivers are out.  The M2tech website has been updated, so go to the redesigned downloads tab and there will be a pulldown for the Young manual and driver.  On the driver page will be new drivers for each OS and a time stamp as to their last update (Jan 24 2011).

NOTE:  Mac users:  Remember to first unload the old driver by copy-n-paste 'ing these three lines into "terminal" app.  It will ask you for your password after the first line is copied and you hit return.  Do all three lines, then restart the Mac.  The new driver will then be allowed to install.

There is still no 352800 in the driver list, but you can type it into Audio Midi and it will work.

Here is the text for uninstall:

sudo mv /System/Library/Extensions/Young.kext /tmp
    sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions
    sudo pkgutil --forget com.m2tech.driver

have fun,
    Ted
  • Thanks Ted - I wonder if I'll hear a difference?
  • Thanks for that, Ted.

I wonder why it's taken all this time (since late January) for that piece of information to filter through?
  • edited March 2011

Simon kindly loaned me a battery psu to try on Sunday at the Scalford show. The benefits of a better power supply are quite obvious. I have just commissioned Teddy Pardo to build me a 18V PSU for my Young. Hopefully it'll arrive soon, though I still haven't set up system back up yet (been busy at work).

• Meanwhile, in the People's Republic, I'm still awaiting Postie and his box of joy :-)
  • Hi, the "new" drivers for Windows is dated 05.01.2011, same date as the older. Means: No new drivers for Windows.
  • You chickens will go for these fancy high-end internationally shipped PSU  :P
    When all you need is a little local home-brew.

Tedb, an overspecced PSU that offers more amperage will not do harm. The Young will only take the amount of current it needs.  So long as the PSU can offer a minimum amperage and the correct V then all should be fine.
    Andy
  • edited March 2011
    Thanks for that @christensen. I'll have a close look at the Mac download later.
  • I've download the mac driver but I'm not sure if I properly deleted the old version in Console.
    Does anyone know how to check which driver is '
  • I've download the mac driver but I'm not sure if I properly deleted the old version in Console.
    Does anyone know how to check which driver is '
    Did you follow Ted's instructions?
  • edited March 2011
    Simon's TeddyReg-based PSU has just arrived.

First impressions:
    • More low-level detail
    • More sense of a tangible acoustic
    • Sharper and more focused percussive events
    • Double basses sound more tangible

Nice!
  • Yes, followed the instructions but got an error message in console after entering the 2nd line. I re-booted and the new driver seemed to install ok but I'm unsure which one is active. I guess the new one wouldn't install properly if the original exists? I will listen tonight to see if it's cured the clipping problem. It would be good to know how to see which driver is 'active'. Thanks.
  • I'll try to have a look into this this evening. I don't know off-hand.
  • The first line should ask for your password
    the second line returns nothing (no errors)
    the third line does the removals and returns some code about the libraries now being missing

after that you should look in Audio Midi, with the young connected, and see no driver.  then reboot and install.
  • Thanks Ted. I'll bear that in mind when I swap drivers.
  • OK - New driver installed fine (I think) and clipping issue still exists on same couple of CD's.

I've finally got the hang of Amarra so will just set it to -1dB and move on and enjoy the music !

Cheers, Adrian
  • Simon's TeddyReg-based PSU has just arrived.

First impressions:
    • More low-level detail

Nice!
    It is, isn't it! I'm glad it's worked out for you too. I do like a percussive event, me....but strangely I know what you mean. The Young is also better able to handle busy passages at volume with the new PSU.
  • Adraian, you sure it's not the recording? I had bad clipping without 1db reduction in puremusic but with the new dac have none. If you still have clipping perhaps we could agree on a few recordings and test on all our systems?
    Best andy
  • I think it was Dave who suggested the recordings may be clipped - Simon backed that up with his AC/DC experience. I think that may well be the case, as the track I have in mind clips during the first 15 seconds or so and than stops until the end of the track - big entrance, then climactic finish with relative calm in between. The mastering may be the issue.

The red herring is that iTunes doesn't replicate the clipping. - discuss.
  • By the way, that script is not my doing, it's just copied from page 15 of the Young manual.  However, i had a sample rate change glitch with the new driver that caused static, etc until I rebooted the Young.  I will try and reproduce.  My V2 young is not my V1, they have different s/n's, this one being Y00039.
  • It's not the recording on Ruby Blue by Roisin Murphy as reducing the volume in Amarra by -1dB solves the problem
  • edited March 2011
    yip ok.  I'm going to search for clipping tracks and report back....the v2 dacs should all be doing the same thing shouldn't they?!
  • Must be the day for power supplies...my Teddy Pardo supply was delivered today.
  • I'd be interested to know if I could expect an improvement vs my NAPSC if I was to trade for a Teddy Pardo ??!!

• Must be the day for power supplies...my Teddy Pardo supply was delivered today.
    Power Supplies, Pancakes and Pardo :-)
  • edited March 2011
    By the way, that script is not my doing, it's just copied from page 15 of the Young manual.  However, i had a sample rate change glitch with the new driver that caused static, etc until I rebooted the Young.  I will try and reproduce.  My V2 young is not my V1, they have different s/n's, this one being Y00039.
    Yup. I knew that.

Your V2 has a lower serial number than my V1. Are you sure you have a V2?
    Flipping power supplies!
  • yip ok.  I'm going to search for clipping tracks and report back....the v2 dacs should all be doing the same thing shouldn't they?!
    Unless there's something about the way the software and the DAC interact? 

I still think that we shouldn't be confusing recording/mastering noise with the pops and clicks we all had with V1. I can't get anything to do that with my V2. Could someone do something naughty and supply me with a track they think is causing problems? I don't want to buy an album just for finding clicks.
    Flipping power supplies!
    Mine's luvverly with sugar and lemon :-)
  • I'd be interested to know if I could expect an improvement vs my NAPSC if I was to trade for a Teddy Pardo ??!!

Where do you live? Maybe there's someone close by who'd let you have a listen.
  • Simon's TeddyReg-based PSU has just arrived.

First impressions:
    • More low-level detail

Nice!

It is, isn't it! I'm glad it's worked out for you too. I do like a percussive event, me....but strangely I know what you mean. The Young is also better able to handle busy passages at volume with the new PSU.

Hold still, there's a percussive event coming your way, Alan  :-"

I'm going to do some listening before SWMBO demands TV 

I-)
  • By the way, that script is not my doing, it's just copied from page 15 of the Young manual.  However, i had a sample rate change glitch with the new driver that caused static, etc until I rebooted the Young.  I will try and reproduce.  My V2 young is not my V1, they have different s/n's, this one being Y00039.
    My V1 was seventy - something, the V2 is one hundred and seventy - odd.
  • Could someone do something naughty and supply me with a track they think is causing problems? I don't want to buy an album just for finding clicks.

Me too pls

A napsc is a simple regulated psu. It should do the job. Having said that, a TeddyReg is a very fine psu that delivers very linear power. I certainly heard the difference when moving from a flatcar/hicap psu to a TeddyReg. If you're near me you can come play or borrow mine

I'm near Middlesbrough if anyone is nearby ! If you send me your email address I'll send you an AIFF of one of the tracks :-)
  • My V1 s/n was documented on here somewhere, i think around 140-something, now one in the 30's.  Dunno why.   Yes, my dealer sent me a V2, which came from Marco.  How do I check for real?  I can't find a darn case screw anywhere on it.

I'm near Middlesbrough if anyone is nearby ! If you send me your email address I'll send you an AIFF of one of the tracks :-)
    PM with you.
  • My V1 s/n was documented on here somewhere, i think around 140-something, now one in the 30's.  Dunno why.   Yes, my dealer sent me a V2, which came from Marco.  How do I check for real?  I can't find a darn case screw anywhere on it.
    Some have taken in apart and posted the mobo revision number. I'm sure someone will tell you soon how to gain entry.
  • How do you know if it is an Young V1 or V2? How du you seperate the cabinet to see the vomponents?
  • You can gain access by removing the feet !
    I have sent a file with 'clipping' to Marco, tracks that clipped with V1dont clip with V2 here, but you guys have far more experience.
    Serial number 30 would be the first batch, I presume Marco has changed the board for a new one but kept the same serial number.
    Keith.
  • Had a great evening with the DAC tonight - bass texture to die for.

I also installed the new drivers, though my understanding of terminal is, er - well, terminal....I believe I followed the instructions faithfully, even following the uninstall procedure three times. I still had 'Young' in the audio window though. Nonetheless, I restarted & installed the new driver successfully.

I would like to know if you can determine what driver is active - just to be sure. I can't find the driver in the system - anyone know where it's hidden?
  • edited March 2011
    I'm pretty sure it's the Young.kext in your main drive, system/library/extensions, and when you do a "get info" mine says it was created March 5th at 7:51am and is version 1.0.48 (which i think is same as earlier driver, frankly). 
  • same drivers as before, no updates, just a new website.

The Napsc is a decent power supply the only way to tell would be a side by side listen, the `teddyreg is a superior regulator, but the difference between them might not be audible.
  • My email from Pietro at M2Tech specifically said these are new drivers>  Moreover, I doubt hewould have gone through the trouble of sending a video on how to use terminal (guess someone asked), and the set of terminal text lines if there was no need to uninstall (il.e if these were same drivers).
  • edited March 2011
    Keith

Can you shed some light on whether the Mac drivers have been updated or not, please?
  • I have confirmed that my Young is now making phasey swooshing sounds from the right channel.  I've isolated it to the DAC, both through USB and other (toslink) inputs.  The sound accompanies the music (i.e it seems to be some echo or distortion based on the music).  I have an email to my dealer to fwd to Pietro and/or Marco. :(
  • That's not good.

I hope you get that sorted quickly.
  • @Monty

The Roisin Murphy track. I can hear what you mean distortion-wise. Generally on the percussion on the left channel early on in the track, and on the vocals on the right channel at the end.

Trouble is, it doesn't sound at all like the clicks and pops I got from V1. So, I guess the question is, is it part of the music or has V2 got a different sounding distortion from V1?

Anyone else want to try the track?