Listening to ...

Comments

• Nik Bartsch's Ronin - Llyria
  • Freddie King - Burglar
  • edited February 2011
    imageimage
    Tangerine Dream 'Royal Albert Hall 1975' from Bootleg Box vol1 (official)/Tangerine Tree Vol9 (bootleg).
  • Punch Brothers - Antifogmatic
  • edited February 2011
    Today (on vinyl)...

Eric Clapton - Unplugged
    Aztec Camera - Stray
    Pink Floyd - The Delicate Sound of Thunder
    Right Said Fred - Up
    Rush - Moving Pictures
    Simply Red - Stars
    Chick Corea Electrik Band - Light Years
    Kraftwerk - The Man Machine
    Ted Heath Big Band - Favourites
    Bob Florence Limited Edition - Magic Time
    Louis Armstrong - Satch Plays Fats.

• Re: Rush - Moving Pictures
    Are you going to see them this year, they are playing the whole of Moving Pictures as one of the sets on the current tour. I am looking forward to seeing them in Manchester.
  • I Am Kloot - The Sky At Night.

Elvis Costello & Allen Toussaint - The River In Reverse.
  • Bob Marley - Leg End
  • Post large Sunday lunch:

Bill Evans - Everybody Digs Bill Evans
  • After small Sunday lunch:

David Sylvian - Sleepwalkers
  • Buckethead - Kaldeidoscalp

~:>
  • Candy Kayne - White Trash Girl
  • Nine Horses - Snow Borne Sorrow
  • Dylan?

Correct.  Changing of the Guards, first track on Street Legal
  • Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

I've been listening to this for close to 40 years and it still sounds as if it was written and recorded last week - genius.
  • Talk Talk - Laughing Stock on Red Vinyl ! (pirate copy I think but a pretty good one !)
  • Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

I've been listening to this for close to 40 years and it still sounds as if it was written and recorded last week - genius.
    I've been wondering what it is about Dylan for about the same time ;-) But seriously, if you were to try to get me to see the light, what would you point me in the direction of?
  • I've no idea, I'm completely uncritical about His Bobness.  It's all superb IMV.

But given you're not that keen on guitary folk I'd avoid the first 4 albums to begin with.

Bringing it all Back Home is starting to get edgy.  HW61 and Street Legal are filled with philosophy.  Blonde on Blonde is a very personal piece and even harder to comment on.

That's the early period until '76 or so covered. 
  • Dylan does seem to provoke binary states, doesn't he?
  • John Martyn - Solid Air

Sunday evening chillin' music before SWMBO takes over with the TV.
  • Dylan does seem to provoke binary states, doesn't he?

Trudat!

But I don't know why?  I can't see what's not to like.

Which other JM albums have you got?
  • Talk Talk - Laughing Stock on Red Vinyl ! (pirate copy I think but a pretty good one !)
    It really does not get better than that, such a powerful album and so fragile at the same time. I remember reading that Karl Hyde (of Underworld) said of 'Spirit of Eden' (which is so similar) that it reminds him to try harder.

'Laughing Stock' is one of my demo albums, I think that it may have the best recording of drums I have ever heard, cross mics set on the other side of the room from the kit I read, plus rich bass from Danny Thompson and incredibly heartfelt guitar from Mark Hollis. Almost all guitar solos are more technically played than the one in 'After the Flood', but hardy any match the emotion of that solo.

If you have never heard Talk Talk 'Spirit of Eden' or 'Laughing Stock' they are worth a try, beyond rock, and hard to categorize, not an easy listen, but extremely rewarding.
  • edited February 2011
    What Jamie said re Talk Talk - their output, in all 'generations' has been superb imho. Saw them live (in about 85/86 I think?) when The Colour of Spring was released.

At the moment chez Gromit - Rush: Hemispheres (the 401 was made for this - check out that bass!!!). :)
    It really does not get better than that, such a powerful album and so fragile at the same time. I remember reading that Karl Hyde (of Underworld) said of 'Spirit of Eden' (which is so similar) that it reminds him to try harder.

'Laughing Stock' is one of my demo albums, I think that it may have the best recording of drums I have ever heard, cross mics set on the other side of the room from the kit I read, plus rich bass from Danny Thompson and incredibly heartfelt guitar from Mark Hollis. Almost all guitar solos are more technically played than the one in 'After the Flood', but hardy any match the emotion of that solo.

If you have never heard Talk Talk 'Spirit of Eden' or 'Laughing Stock' they are worth a try, beyond rock, and hard to categorize, not an easy listen, but extremely rewarding.
    And don't forget Mark Hollis's solo album, Mark Hollis. Great musically and sonically, too. A simple, warts and all production.

Not that many.

Live at Leeds
    Piece by Piece(?) - one of my first batch of CDs. I think it was the current album at the time.

I keep meaning to buy the couple of albums that followed Solid Air.
  • Gromit: Quite jealous you saw them in '86, I only got into them after their final tour. I have the Mark Hollis solo album, but the lazy rhytm of the last two Talk Talk albums makes them very appealing, and although the solo album is good it doesn't quite have that push.

Has anyone tried the Heligoland album(s?) by Tim Freeze Green?

Rush 'Hemispheres' gets played here too, but right now Nine Inch Nails almost acoustic album 'Still', 
  • edited February 2011
    Gromit: Quite jealous you saw them in '86, I only got into them after their final tour. I have the Mark Hollis solo album, but the lazy rhytm of the last two Talk Talk albums makes them very appealing, and although the solo album is good it doesn't quite have that push.

Has anyone tried the Heligoland album(s?) by Tim Freeze Green?

Rush 'Hemispheres' gets played here too, but right now Nine Inch Nails almost acoustic album 'Still', 
    The Heligoland albums are on Spotify. I gave them a listen a while back, but they didn't bite :-(
  • I've no idea, I'm completely uncritical about His Bobness.  It's all superb IMV.

But given you're not that keen on guitary folk I'd avoid the first 4 albums to begin with.

Bringing it all Back Home is starting to get edgy.  HW61 and Street Legal are filled with philosophy.  Blonde on Blonde is a very personal piece and even harder to comment on.

I've just re-read your post. I thought before that you were saying you didn't know how to go about recommending any Dylan. Now, I'm not sure if you were recommending I try the named albums.
  • Matthew Shipp – Harmonic Disorder

I much prefer Shipp in a band rather than a solo context.

I've just re-read your post. I thought before that you were saying you didn't know how to go about recommending any Dylan. Now, I'm not sure if you were recommending I try the named albums.

The first line tends to be my stock answer, I find worth in all his works.  And picking a few out is like asking me which of my four children I love the most...

What I was trying to do is point you towards some that, IMV, may fit with what I know of you.  So, yes, I'm recommending you try those albums.  Unfortunately, as with much other material, nearly all his stuff has been removed from Spotty.
  • Thanks for the clarification.

Oh poop on Spotti. I was hoping that's be the way to listen to them.
  • Roy Ayers - Stoned Soul Picnic
  • Thanks for the clarification.

Oh poop on Spotti. I was hoping that's be the way to listen to them.
    You're very welcome
  • Paul Simon - Still Crazy After All These Years
  • Davy Graham - A scholar and a Gentleman

Interesting guitar cover of Blue Monk
  • ELP - 1st Album

Not that many.

Live at Leeds
    Piece by Piece(?) - one of my first batch of CDs. I think it was the current album at the time.

I keep meaning to buy the couple of albums that followed Solid Air.
    I forgot you'd answered this - whooooops!

I reckon you would enjoy Cooltide.  None of the usual "Is JM a folk or jazz musician".  Cooltide is Jazz.  End of argument.

Oooh and it's on Spotti
  • I'll give it a go, sir!
  • edited February 2011
    Cannonball Adderley with Bill Evans 'Know What I Mean'.

I must say that my first impressions are not that positive, whereas 'Somthin' Else' has the drive of Art Blakey's swing, and the sharpness of Miles Davis horn which make it one of my favourite albums, this seems to be more from the side of jazz that Dave Brubeck plays.

There is too much precision, and too much classical influence for me and not enough balls. Beautiful playing, but just too delicate for me, I like my jazz big and ballsy.

Sorry Jim, but thanks for the recommendation, it might grow on me in time, but I don't think it has the elements that will make it into a favourite of mine. 'Mercy, Mercy, Mercy, live at the club' is on its way through the post, so maybe live performance will give some of the energy that I am looking for from Adderley's music.
  • JimJim
    edited March 2011
    It just shows how different we all are.  I like it for the reasons you don't.  Live at the IT Club may suit you better.
  • Traffic - Welcome To The Canteen
  • Charles Mingus - Ah Um
  • edited March 2011
    James Blood Ulmer – Bad Blood In The City: The Piety Street Sessions

Sometime in the 90s Blood seemed to have lost his way, and I stopped watching what he was up to. Then, since 2001's Memphis Blood: The Sun Sessions, everything came together. Every album I've got hold of from the past ten years is astonishing.
  • Funny you should mention the Sun Sessions..

Elvis Presley - The Sun Sessions
  • Trudat

:-))
  • Eric Roth Trio - Program 16