Listening to ...

Comments

• Eric Dolphy - Iron Man
  • Dr John - Gris Gris
  • I wish someone would remaster it so that the vocals don't distort. 
  • I quite like the crunchiness...
  • edited March 2011
    Patricia Barber - Monday Night

One of the few jazz vocalists I like. This is worth having for the first track - not supper club music. Some of the remainder is marred by some some dodgy drumming.
  • Station to Station - Bowie - original master version.....
  • edited March 2011
    Monty, is that from the recent box set with the Nassau '76 show. If not it is worth getting for that concert.
    Earlier while driving, Chris Squire 'Fish out of Water'
  • edited March 2011
    Jon Balke - Siwan (24/96)
  • Keith Jarrett - Live at the Blue Note (Disc 1)
  • Andrew Hill - Point of Departure
  • Is Pentangle - Sweet Child
    Will be Paul Motian - Garden of Eden
  • edited March 2011
    Terence Blanchard 'Tale Of God's Will (A Requiem For Katrina)'
    Having re-watched Spike Lee's brilliant documentary 'When the Levees Broke', I found that Terence Blanchard had released versions of the music from the film, on first listening to the album itself it is quite superb.
  • Billy Cotton - Band Show
  • Billy Cotton - Band Show
    Whaaaaat?  :O
  • I've been waiting for you to comment.

I'll play it to you when you're here next.  The sound quality is astonishing - really.  It's also quite good fun in a weird way.

Kessler's been banging on about his LPs for years saying how fantastic there are and I'm afraid to say he's right.
  • I hate to disappoint ;-)
  • Keith Jarrett - Great Moments with Keith Jarrett    vinyl
  • Monty, is that from the recent box set with the Nassau '76 show. If not it is worth getting for that concert.
    Earlier while driving, Chris Squire 'Fish out of Water'
    yes, it's out of the box set. A lovely item and was impossible to resist....!
  • Beth Orton - Central Reservation on vinyl (1st pressing)
  • Keith Jarrett - Live at the Blue Note (Disc 2)

I'm so enjoying the set of AACs someone gave me that I bought the box set (I just hope it gives me a closer shave :-) ).
    I guess that must be a compilation of some sort. Atlantic stuff, perhaps?
  • New York City - Peter Mallick & Norah Jones
  • Guillemots - Through the windowpane. Track 12: Sao Paulo.....wonderful.
  • I Am Kloot - Natural History.

Bill Evans - Everybody Digs Bill Evans.

• Zoe Keating - Into The Trees

Wonderful Cello album, very modern, superb recording from this unsigned artist. Downloaded from Bandcamp.
  • I Am Kloot - Natural History.

Bill Evans - Everybody Digs Bill Evans.

Alan, how'd you reckon the Evans?
  • edited March 2011
    I like it very muchly - it's the third time I've listened to it. My problem is I don't really understand jazz, bit there are several tracks - well, more than several - that I really appreciate. I reckon more understanding will come in time, and this album is a really good way of just stretching things a little bit for me.

I also have the village vanguard set (see - watch what you say everybody - peeps might be quietly squandering their children's inheritance based on your expert recommendations), of which I only remember playing the last disc, twice now in fact. That too is really nice. (Superb bassist as well)

Bill Evans piano playing is somehow familiar to me, he is a very instinctive musician. He doesn't necessarily take the lead all the time, but his personality seems central to the trio's sound.
  • Memphis Blood: The Sun Sessions

I've sampled three of James Blood Ulmer's more recent albums on Spotti this morning, this is by far a stand-out.
  • I'm not convinced there's much to understand TBH.  Evans best feature for me is fluidity, he never sounds as if he's struggling or making much of an effort at all - as you say he's instinctive.
  • I absolutely agree - my 'understand' comment is based on my utter inexperience of modern jazz. Now big band I get...

Evans is undoubtedly a master, which is why I can comfortably use his work to broaden my horizons, which reminds me - I want to get some more Keith Jarret as well. What is
    Paris / London - Testament like?

• I absolutely agree - my 'understand' comment is based on my utter inexperience of modern jazz. Now big band I get...

Evans is undoubtedly a master, which is why I can comfortably use his work to broaden my horizons, which reminds me - I want to get some more Keith Jarret as well. What is

Can I butt in? Oh, I have anyway :-)

For my money, Jarrett is the man on the piano. I'm even getting to like some of his Standards Trio output - indeed, if you want to move on from Evans, but in the same kind of mode, it's a great place to go.

Paris/London - Testament is great, but not as easy a ride as The Koln Concert. You might want to try Facing You, his first foray into solo piano.
  • Will do. In fact, I'll try both, such is my faith in you. And Keith Jarrett.

The only reason Paris/London - Testament is on my radar is it is in 24/96 on HD tracks.
  • Possibly the best way to put your toe in the water is the 'Bargain' Setting Standards Box, or take you pick. There are loads of albums. The best of the trio, IMHO, is the 6-CD At The Blue Note Box set.
  • Looks good, thank you.

Now this, thanks JamieL. Very very fine record.

• Looks good, thank you.

Now this, thanks JamieL. Very very fine record.

Thanks, both, for the pointer.

I'm listening to it on Spotti at the moment. It's really good so far.
  • If you haven't seen Spike Lee's documentary 'When the Levees Broke' it is worth seeing, four 1 hour parts, available on DVD, plus an extra disc I haven''t seen yet. Very moving, very sad, and you will hate George 'Dubya' Bush afterwards, even if you haven't made a head start on that.

We felt a little guitly loving the music from it so much when watching, but since Terrence Blanchard, his family, and many other great Jazz musicians are in the film, as they were caught up in the events, it fits perfectly.

Fine to enjoy the music on its own as well, the sleeve notes about the tracks are very enlightening too.
  • I saw one part - I didn't realise it was only a quarter of the series.

Yup, compilation on Impulse from early '70s.  Says all the material has been issued before on ABC-Impulse.
  • Sonny Rollins - Volume One on Bluenote vinyl

Yup, compilation on Impulse from early '70s.  Says all the material has been issued before on ABC-Impulse.
    I think I have most of Jarrett's Impulse albums. His American Quartet is one of my all-time favourite bands - Dewey Redman on sax, Charlie Haden on bass and Paul Motian on drums. Most of the critics think the European Quartet with Jan Garbarek was better. So, so wrong, IMNSHO.

Can I butt in? Oh, I have anyway :-)

For my money, Jarrett is the man on the piano. I'm even getting to like some of his Standards Trio output - indeed, if you want to move on from Evans, but in the same kind of mode, it's a great place to go.

Paris/London - Testament is great, but not as easy a ride as The Koln Concert. You might want to try Facing You, his first foray into solo piano.

I like them both as much and for different reasons.  I also like Oscar Peterson, John Coates Jr, Errol Garner, McCoy Tyner etc etc.  I see them all as different and for me just as enjoyable.
  • imageimage
    The first two IQ albums, 80's prog. One of my best friends bother has joined the band just before their 30th anniversay, and I am seeing how the music has dated.

To be honest it works mostly for nostalgia, I was too young to see the 70's prog bands at their height, and by the early 80s they were throwing out some appalling pop This was all the was happening for me at the time, as I loathe most of the rock/pop music from that decade, with some obvious exceptions (Japan/Sylvian, Talk Talk, R.E.M.). I find IQ better than Marillion, but can't say that is much of a compliment.

Thankfully many of the 70s bands have reformed, or gone back to lineups that produced their best music, and are in a musical culture in which they do not feel obliged to copy lesser bands where they can play their own style of music freely.

Still the dearth of rock that appealed to me in the 80's allowed me to be opened up to jazz.
  • Something similar to me happened in the 70s. I wasn't much of a prog fan, and none of my friends ever played the music I love from that decade - funk, dub reggae, soul etc - so I didn't really start buying much music until I found jazz.
  • Bill Evans - Everybody Digs Bill Evans on 180g vinyl

one of the only 2 I have.
  • Billy Bang - Vietnam: The Aftermath

What can I say? One of my favourite albums of the last decade. Anyone with an interest in today's jazz should have a copy. The accessible side of the avant garde.
  • Bill Laswell - Version 2 Version: A Dub Transmission

Every so often I weaken and pick up yet another Bill Laswell album. This one's OK - not the best and not the worst.
  • Brand x - product
    Pat Metheny - The way up
    Rory Gallagher - Irish tour
  • edited March 2011
    Cannonball Adderley [1966] Mercy Mercy Mercy
    Jim you were right, I do like the energy of this, and it is the first time I have heard Joe Zwaninul on plain acoustic piano, I love his playing, so a good recommendation.
    Mark Kozelek - Nights LP
    Especially as it has one of his cat songs, or kittens in this case. Oddments, an album for completists, but some real gems.
    However this is one of those albums that have taken up residence in my CD player, and although it is getting displaced occasionally, it isn't very often.
    Any recommendations or other Terrence Blanchard albums to follow up on this?
    The only other album I have with him playing on is Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers 'Album of the Year', which is good, but he is young and brash on that, and on 'God's Will' he is playing such poise and maturity, and is happy to relax.

• Mary Halvorson Trio - Dragon's Head