Listening to ...

Comments

• Oh yes. My favourite of all time.
  • The Beatles - Mono Masters CD2 from the remasters box set, Ive been to Liverpool today with the family so felt it right to play a few Beatles tracks
  • Watching & listening to the masters snooker final. I am struck at how well the system is portraying Willie Thorne's monotonous know-it-all drone. Mind you, even that can't detract from an excellent final.
  • Edward Vesala - Ode to the Death of Jazz

• Abercrombie/Gomez/Jackson - Structures (24/96 - but that's irrelevant 'cos my office system doesn't play in high-res)

Lives up to the hype, IMHO. Great to hear Coltrane at length in this context; the most unlikely sax player for Monk (again IMO) is possibly his best horn partner of all.
  • edited May 2011
    Tom Rainey Trio - Pool School

Maybe not something to listen to whilst writing, but a great modern jazz (not Modern Jazz) album, nonetheless. Also Rainey's first album under his own name. 
  • Rodrigo Y Gabriela - Re-Foc

First time Ive played this on the Young Dac, a very well produced album, also has some great music on it
  • Followed your lead on spotti, as I haven't heard this before but have heard it mentioned.

After about two mins I ordered it....
  • The Ernest Ranglin? I love some of his albums - worth tasting them on Spotti if you can, before buying.

He's a very interesting man. A jazz guitarist who was in at the creation of reggae, playing on loads of important reggae stuff. Consequently, his own albums are a real mixture of styles.

Fela Kuti & Egypt 80 - Original Sufferhead/I.T.T. (International Thief Thief)
  • edited May 2011

My most-played album of the last 12 months?
  • I like that too.
  • There's hope for you yet, matey :-)

Go to www.aumfidelity.com and order a copy from Mr Steven Joerg, so he can make more money and put out more great music :-)
    On spotify, on recommendation. Really very good so far, I fear the wallet may be blinking into daylight again soon....
    :-((
  • Don't know that at all. 

I'm listening to:

• Superb drummer, great feel. I don't know that album though - what's it like?

I wonder if he ever got permission to re-enter the USA?
  • It's got Bill Frisell on guitar and Charlie Haden on bass, and sounds very much like you'd expect from the line-up, if you recognise the names.

I don't know if it's on Spotti, but I suspect it's out of print.
  • Jeff Buckley - Grace.
  • Rodrigo y Gabriela - Live in Japan.

Some quite handy guitar work to say the least.....great version of Stairway to Heaven.
  • edited May 2011
    Hal Willner presents Weird Nightmare: Meditations on Mingus

• Henry Threadgill Zooid - This brings us to: Vol 2

• edited May 2011
  • Masada - Live at Tonic 2001, Disc 1

The original acoustic Masada quartet's finest hour? Ripping it up on their home turf.
  • And now, Disc 2.

If you like this kind of stuff, it's well worth tracking down a copy. 

Beck - Sea Change (HD Tracks in SACD quality).

My first listen of this, his debut (I used to play Odelay a lot) and I am surprised at 1} its quality, and 2} how accessible it is.
  • Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain, one of my favourites TBH
  • Can I take the whole Miles Davis/Gil Evans box set to my desert island?
  • Dollar Brand/Abdullah Ibrahim - African Sketchbook

A musician I never tire of. One of the greatest, IMHO.
  • Can I take the whole Miles Davis/Gil Evans box set to my desert island?
    I think it would be a good move Dave
  • Bill Laswell - Panthalassa: The Music of Miles Davis 1969-74.

Very nice. Perhaps a little too nice. I've always felt Laswell could have been a bit more radical, rather than treating the source material like the Crown Jewels.
  • edited May 2011

Lee Konitz, Brad Mehldau, Charlie Haden and Paul Motian - Live at Birdland

First play. Bought on the strength of the line-up and the rarity of hearing Mehldau outside his own settings.

Just how many drugs were consumed during the making of this masterpiece? 
    :-?
    Love all the studio chatter on this one! Fascinating to hear the producer interrupting songs & telling Louis & Duke to get on with it...superb recording also.
  • I notice the Sufjan Stevens is on Asthmatic Kitty Records :-)

I like some of the album. Must listen to some more of his stuff.
  • It's worth the effort imo - very interesting and charismatically quirky, much like yourself Dave! I'm trying to decide whether to buy it or not - would I play it more than twice? Probably...

Loads more texture than I heard on the office system, really good fun & a nice recording.
  • Extra texture, no less!  :D

Matthew Shipp - NuBop. 

Jazz/Electronica melange. 
  • edited May 2011
    The remastered album, from Bandcamp.

Beck - Sea Change (HD Tracks in SACD quality).

My first listen of this, his debut (I used to play Odelay a lot) and I am surprised at 1} its quality, and 2} how accessible it is.
    This is in my all time top 20 ! Great album. Not heard the HD Tracks version though.....
  • That good? Wow! I'll have to give it a listen on Spotti.