Listening to ...

Comments

• james blake ,

• Right now, JJ Cale's 'Naturally' on vinyl. Bliss  B-)
  • edited June 2011
    We have a liking for JJ in Ugly Towers. Digital JJ, though.
  • King Creosote & Jon Hopkins - Diamond Mine on vinyl

An absolutely beautiful album.....
  • King Creosote & Jon Hopkins - Diamond Mine on vinyl

An absolutely beautiful album.....
    This lot are on my Spotify 'To Do' list - I love what I have heard already and I'm ready to believe this a spectacular album.
  • edited June 2011
    Craig Taborn - Avenging Angel

This is a great piece of solo improvised piano. I'm still working on how great, but if you've ever dug deeper than the Koln Concert into Keith Jarrett's solo work, this is well worth a listen.

I said in a previous post that this is a live album, but later noticing no audience noise, it seems it isn't! Some pre-release info I'd read was obviously dud.

Ronald Shannon Jackson - Red Warrior
  • The new Bon Iver album on vinyl....

A different sound to the the last one but sounding like a great LP all the same......
  • mumford and sons, sigh no more, not the best production or pressing but there is no denying the passion and verve the band play with.
  • Yeah. I like it, but never never quite get round to buying a copy.

Meanwhile...

• edited June 2011
    Yo Matt! Dave Holland solo bass, no less!

I'm listening to another great album from the 70s:

• Yo Matt! Dave Holland solo bass, no less!

I'm listening to another great album from the 70s:

indeed! stunning pressing and recording too, real contrast of dynamic expression with holland going from oh so gently brushing against the strings to possitively wringing the neck of the bass, wish there was another couple of tracks with him using the bow though as i love the textures that come from him playing that way,
    dont have any art pepper  though, so much of it dont know where to start
  • edited June 2011
    I used to have a cassette copy of Emerald Tears many years ago. You mentioning it made me order a CD copy. I'm really looking forward to hearing it.

Art Pepper is my favourite alto player. He had everything musically and technically, and played with such emotional weight. 

If your tastes tend towards free rather than cool, then go for something in the 70s, after his comeback. 

The Live at the Village Vanguard material - available in all sorts of configurations, from single discs to a 9CD box set - is probably the best of his output. But there are two albums Live in Japan (or Not a Through Street as a 2CD set) which are great, too. Otherwise, try Living Legend or The Trip.

I'd say, if it's post 1970 and on a recognisable jazz label, it'll have something worthwhile. 

I love his late playing so much, I even have some decidedly nasty bootleg-quality material with pick-up bands. 
  • I used to have a cassette copy of Emerald Tears many years ago. You mentioning it made me order a CD copy. I'm really looking forward to hearing it.

Art Pepper is my favourite alto player. He had everything musically and technically, and played with such emotional weight. 

If your tastes tend towards free rather than cool, then go for something in the 70s, after his comeback. 

The Live at the Village Vanguard material - available in all sorts of configurations, from single discs to a 9CD box set - is probably the best of his output. But there are two albums Live in Japan (or Not a Through Street as a 2CD set) which are great, too. Otherwise, try Living Legend or The Trip.

I'd say, if it's post 1970 and on a recognisable jazz label, it'll have something worthwhile. 

I love his late playing so much, I even have some decidedly nasty bootleg-quality material with pick-up bands. 
    thanks man, will start with some of his earlier stuff , then work up to his later and free'er stuff, if i can find it on vinyl! grudge buying cds(mostly because my digital system if rather poor!) not because i have anything against digital.
    :)
  • edited June 2011
    Pulp - This Is Hardcore on vinyl....

Preparing for Glasto and hoping the rumours are true & these guys turn up.....
  • I used to have a cassette copy of Emerald Tears many years ago. You mentioning it made me order a CD copy. I'm really looking forward to hearing it.

thanks man, will start with some of his earlier stuff , then work up to his later and free'er stuff, if i can find it on vinyl! grudge buying cds(mostly because my digital system if rather poor!) not because i have anything against digital.
    :)
    The later stuff isn't really free, but Pepper got into Coltrane during the 60s and incorporated some of Coltrane's style into his own, if that makes any sense at all!

Of the earlier material, try Modern Art. It has the most fantastic version of Summertime amongst other stuff.

:-)
    The later stuff isn't really free, but Pepper got into Coltrane during the 60s and incorporated some of Coltrane's style into his own, if that makes any sense at all!

Of the earlier material, try Modern Art. It has the most fantastic version of Summertime amongst other stuff.
    http://jazzcollector.com/blue-note/art-pepper-for-the-1000-bin-blues-walk-almost/ , i might have to save up a bit to get some on vinyl ,
    thanks for all the info, its much appreciated.
      :-O
  • Yikes! You could get a good digital set-up for that :-)
  • edited June 2011
    its the only issue i have with vinyl, its trendy again so all those records i could have got for less than a pound at the local charity shop are now being actively hunted by far to many people, time to upgrade the dac me thinks.
  • Charles Brackeen Quartet - Attainment

• imageimageimage
    you just gotta love mingus!

Still one of the very best, on all counts IMO.
  • imageimageimage
    you just gotta love mingus!
    And I do! :-)
  • trying to find a copy of black saint and the sinner lady, now.

Can't get over the title - nor the hat, for that matter ;-)

Kirk's playing, though... Just boggling!
  • never heard it , but that cover is just magic!
    :-))
    That one took a while to grow on me, although many say it's his best (not me!)
    true that! i would have to toss a coin between Ah um and blues and roots for my fav.
    true that! i would have to toss a coin between Ah um and blues and roots for my fav.
    Yes, I agree. Those are the two nuggets
  • edited June 2011

A rather macabre cover for another rather good album from M Sclavis.
  • edited June 2011

Another from the land of clarinet.

TBH, I'm not sure I like it. I play it from time-to-time just to confirm ;-)
  • It's a day for playing albums I'm not 100% certain of. I like the first track, then my attention tends to wander on this one.

I love this album. Great compositions and playing, with the usual nice AUM Fidelity sound.
  • edited June 2011

On first listening, I like this. I had little hopes for the album, but it'll definitely get another play soon.
  • This is astonishing. Worth the subscription to B&W Society of Sound for this, alone.

Can't wait to play it on the big system when the neighbours are out ;-)
  • I think we're going to disagree here. I really don't like Blakey's grandstanding. Give me Max Roach any day!