Listening to ...

Comments

• The new Beasties album...

God I love these guys (after their first dodgy efforts and since their early 90s material anyway).
    Good to have them back!
  • great title!

This is another fantastic piano trio somewhere out on the melodic/free borders with Paul Motian on the drum stool. I don't know how many of these I have, but Marilyn Crispell's Amaryllis is one of the best. It's not as challenging as the (in)famous Paul Bley album with the same rhythm section that I played at the bake-off show last year.
  • Was:

Now:

The electric fringes of the NY Downtown scene this afternoon in the office.
    Two slices of perfection!
  • Marcus Miller..................The Ozell Tapes.

Paul.

• edited June 2011

Craig Taborn - Avenging Angel: Piano Solo

I've been awaiting this one for some time. I think today is the release day. Anyway, it arrived from Amazon this morning.

First listen, not quite complete, and it sounds good. Much as you'd expect from Taborn and the label. 

So it's a live solo piano recording on ECM - remind you of something else?

Edit: Turns out it isn't live!

I've been awaiting this one for some time. I think today is the release day. Anyway, it arrived from Amazon this morning.

First listen, not quite complete, and it sounds good. Much as you'd expect from Taborn and the label. 

Let us know if it grows into something resembling the other, won't you?

Let us know if it grows into something resembling the other, won't you?
    May do  :-D

Having a bit of a piano period here at Ugly Towers. I've just ordered two more Ibrahim albums. He's one of those artists I just have to have the lot from. Unlike his live performances, which range from some of the greatest gigs I've seen to ones to walk out of, there's normally some reason for having each of the albums.
  • edited May 2011
    Rudresh Mahanthappa & Bunky Green - Apex

Alto fireworks from two of the best. If you've liked Steve Coleman's playing, then this is one to get. Green influenced Coleman (Steve not Ornette) and Mahanthappa, and Coleman influenced Mahanthappa.

I'd love to see Mahanthappa live.

Marc Ribot Y Los Cubanos Postizos - Muy Divertido!

As it says: 'Very Entertaining'. If Buena Vista Social Club was a little too reverential for you, try this. The project apparently predates Ry Cooder's recordings, although this album doesn't.

Ribot (of Tom Waits, John Zorn and countless other associations) is a brilliant guitarist, if you don't know him.
  • Medeski, Martin & Wood - Radiolarians II

Much better than Radiolarians I, IMHO.
  • edited May 2011

Do elephants in front of the Eiffel Tower say 'Respect' to you?

More Texier, 'cos I like it, and it's my office :-)
  • Abdullah Ibrahim - Ode to Duke Ellington
  • Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin One

David S Ware - Flight of I

The first track on this, Aquarian Sound, is one of my favourite post-Coltrane tenor pieces. The band are in great form.
  • Adam Dunning: Sunset Monkeys (http://www.myspace.com/adamdunning)
    Nice album.
  • Aldo Romano – African Flashback

I love this album (and others by this trio with Louis Sclavis and Henri Texier), and now that Label Bleu recordings seem to be freely available again, I should buy a copy instead of listening on Spotti.

A wonderful album featuring the recently-deceased Billy Bang. Another sad loss, IMO.

Track 1: Boogie Woogie Waltz. What a way to start the day! A groove so deep you could hide the whole of Columbia Records :-)
  • Free - Marcus Miller.

And - just for kicks - Weezer covering RadioHead's Paranoid Android!!

http://consequenceofsound.net/2011/05/watch-weezer-covers-radioheads-paranoid-android/

RadioHead were hugely important for me in my teens - I haven't really listened to them for some years now except their recent 'In Rainbows'  (which I wasn't too fussed over). Weezer are typically a little looser, and it's a pleasure to hear (the genius that is) Rivers Cuomo's voice given a workout, though it's not the best song for him in truth. Also - check out all the guitar amps in that studio!!
  • Mose Allison - Sings

How has it taken so long to discover this essential part of my musical education?
  • Eva Cassidy - Live at Blues Alley.
  • edited June 2011

U Srinivas & Michael Brook - Dream
  • David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust, one of my all time favourite albums
  • Didn't he play guitar or something?
  • Ian Dury & The Blockheads on BBC4.

Crazy dudes at the best of times, but this is the version with Wilko Johnson adding to the onstage madness.

Shit! And there's Don Cherry playing trumpet. Wow!
    image (Lyle Lovett - Pontiac)

• Pharoah!!!!  :-D
  • An eclectic evening indeed. Finishing off now with:
  • That's a true end-of-the-evening record.
  • Louis Sclavis - Clarinettes

• H  EL  I G O      L      A   N D
  • SRV - In Step

But is it jazz? Who cares. 

Surman is a towering figure in European music, and this is kind of ambient, kind of early electronica, kind of improvised, kind of composed, kind of genius.

John Zorn - Interzone
  • Having a bit of a John Surman day today.

Some say this is the greatest jazz album ever recorded in the UK. They may just have something there.
    Maybe not the best of the albums by this quartet, but still some wonderful interplay.
  • More gui-tar!