Listening to ...

Comments

• Jazz on 3 - Shabaka Hutchings. 
  • I think we're going to disagree here. I really don't like Blakey's grandstanding. Give me Max Roach any day!
    nope , i agree about his grandstanding , the lp in the post does seem to lack the cohesion and sense of the performers having fun , sounds more like they are 'working for someone' as session musicians,
     funny you should mention mr roach, listening to 'members dont git weary' when i logged in,
  • I think we're going to disagree here. I really don't like Blakey's grandstanding. Give me Max Roach any day!
    nope , i agree about his grandstanding , the lp in the post does seem to lack the cohesion and sense of the performers having fun , sounds more like they are 'working for someone' as session musicians,
     funny you should mention mr roach, listening to 'members dont git weary' when i logged in,
    I don't know that one. Is it any good?
    i realy love this lp, best i can describe it is soulful with bluesy over/undertones in a late sixties early seventies way, very melodic with great bass lines ,really bops along in places, nice recording quality too (if thats of concern) , highly recomended,

:)
    i realy love this lp, best i can describe it is soulful with bluesy over/undertones in a late sixties early seventies way, very melodic with great bass lines ,really bops along in places, nice recording quality too (if thats of concern) , highly recomended,

:)
    I've just bought it - £4.99 on Amazon can't be bad.
    good stuff Dave( i think/hope thats your name?)
    hope you enjoy it as much as i do
  • My name is Dave :-)

I'm pretty sure I will enjoy it. I'm a bit of a Max Roach fan on the quiet, particularly things like Percussion Bitter Sweet and It's Time.

In fact, I think I'll play one now :-)
  • time for a bit of sixties San francisco strip club music at this end,

;)
  • hey Dave if you 'or anyone reading this' really enjoys percussion then this is worth getting hold of,
    the first track called 'tintinnabulation' features 65 percussion intruments and six percussionists and is just amazing, i am waiting for the cd to get here and i am very much looking forward to it,

;-) :-D
  • edited June 2011
    I shall look into it.

I've gone for some Sunday afternoon groove:

Medeski, Martin & Wood - Shack Man, in case you were wondering.
  • time for a bit of sixties San francisco strip club music at this end,

;)
    I don't know that one, either.
  • I shall look into it.

I've gone for some Sunday afternoon groove:

Medeski, Martin & Wood - Shack Man, in case you were wondering.
    i dont know this at all, must have a hunt.
  • Shack Man is a great place to start with MMW.

I then went on to:

• This is great stuff to work to - and it's free to download:

• Never mind the bollocks heres the Sex Pistols - The Sex Pistols

Always a good one after a days stressful work
  • Watching: The Revolution will not be Televised on BBC 4. Gil Scott-Heron documentary.

It's been on before, but it's worth an hour of anyone's time. 

On first listening, this is a righteous slab of afrobeat, with Egypt 80 in killer form.

On first listening, this is a righteous slab of afrobeat, with Egypt 80 in killer form.
    son of Fela?
  • Yep. And half-brother to Femi.
    I don't even think I have that one. What do you think sir?
  • I like it very much, quite classy. I'm not familiar with his output, 'twas the mighty Jim who recommended this as a place to start. Pretty sure it's on spotify.
  • It should be on Spotti. I'm more of a late Pepper man, which is why I haven't got this one.
  • edited June 2011
    You mean his 1990's duo, salt 'n peppa?
    #-O
  • Nooooooooooo!
    This is getting a bit worrying. I've got this as well :-)

Nothing too challenging with swmbo in the room with me....but this is growing on me like nobody's business! I shall have to repurchase Odelay next.

Nothing too challenging with swmbo in the room with me....but this is growing on me like nobody's business! I shall have to repurchase Odelay next.
    truly epic bit of work, they guy is genius in my book,
    This is getting a bit worrying. I've got this as well :-)
    nothing wrong with good taste Dave
    :-"
  • imageimage
    Those, I don't have.
  • Meanwhile, I've just heard from our fashion correspondent:

I listened to some of this on Spotti. I think I'm going to have to give it another go when I'm in the mood because it seemed to get a bit samey after an interesting start.

Followed by...

• edited June 2011

Just downloaded in 24/96 from HDtracks for about a tenner with their discount.

I listened to some of this on Spotti. I think I'm going to have to give it another go when I'm in the mood because it seemed to get a bit samey after an interesting start.
    hi Alan, it does seem that way but its a deliberate effect, song one and three sound very similar and two and four sound similar, give a few listens though , compared to his usual mash up type theme its a revelation, it ebbs and flows brilliantly and never fails to suck me in and leave me wanting more. just takes a couple of listens to really get the jist of the theme which seems to be a very real heart ache ,loss of a lover and new discovery.
    all the best,
    matt
  • edited July 2011
    'Twas me not Alan. But I will give it another try sometime when I'm in the mood.
  • 'Twas me not Alan. But I will give it another try sometime when I'm in the mood.
    sorry Dave,
    #-O