Listening to ...

Comments

• Cello trio? Looks interesting.
    please do share any info Alan, i have a liking for cello and bass cello music and have been meaning to find some,
    cheers,
    Matt
    please do share any info Alan, i have a liking for cello and bass cello music and have been meaning to find some,
    cheers,
    Matt
    It's sax/cello/drums, with quite a bit of electronics. To be honest, on less than one play, it could be one of the uglier-sounding albums I've bought recently. I'll have to give it a few more spins before I can work it out.

I'll post thoughts sometime soon.

One of my favourite Ibrahim albums. A very nice recording, too.
  • This is worth a go Matt, Cello/electronica direct from the artist:

Download direct from here (be sure to select the lossless FLAC download).

http://music.zoekeating.com/album/into-the-trees
  • This is worth a go Matt, Cello/electronica direct from the artist:

Download direct from here (be sure to select the lossless FLAC download).

http://music.zoekeating.com/album/into-the-trees
    thanks man, will get on it as soon as i get my dac back from my friend, or may even venture out to get a better one
    :-?
    simply vinyl reissue, sounds like it was mastered from an old copy played on a budget seventies turntable , still amazed he could sing at all after breaking his neck,
  • LeeLee
    edited July 2011
    Air by Hadouk Trio, what a stunning album

I'm giving this a go on Spotti, and it's pretty good so far. Thanks for the pointer.

Darius Jones & Matthew Shipp - Cosmic Lieder.

This arrived last week from AUM Fidelity in New York, and I suddenly realised that I hadn't got round to playing it!

So far, so good - and what I've heard on Radio 3 and the Net has been interesting. 
    I'm giving this a go on Spotti, and it's pretty good so far. Thanks for the pointer.
    I thought it might have been up your street Dave!

Yeah. I'll play this one again and try the others. There's a bit of Louis Sclavis in there, I think. Do you know him?

Only problem is, I'm already thinking of the album as Air Haddock!
    X_X
  • edited July 2011

This is some album. A solo bass cd that keeps me pleasurably engaged from beginning to end.

One of Dave Holland's greatest achievements? (not keeping me engaged, but the album itself, before Alan passes comment :-) )

A very fine sax trio album. I must get some more Ellery Eskelin. 
  • Was:

Now:

This is amazing! While brother Femi has never really scaled the heights reached by father Fela, this is getting up there. 

Fela's Egypt 80 band is fantastic, still. And the brass section is one of my favourites of all time. Don't fiddle about. If you like funk, jazz or African music, I can't see you not liking this.

Another James Blood Ulmer, but one of his jazz rather than blues outings.
    Yeah. I'll play this one again and try the others. There's a bit of Louis Sclavis in there, I think. Do you know him?

X_X

Hi Dave

Never heard of Louis Sclavis to be honest, will have a look on Spotify to see if he is on their

Lee

X_X

Hi Dave

Never heard of Louis Sclavis to be honest, will have a look on Spotify to see if he is on their

Lee

There's loads on Spotify. 
  • I will check it out for sure

Never sounded so good as it does through the new valve amp!

Never sounded so good as it does through the new valve amp!
    My god, I haven't seen a copy of that in yonks! Not my kind of thing, though.

Charles Lloyd Quartet - Rabo de Nube

I've never been 100% convinced by Charles Lloyd, but this quartet is excellent and seems to take him to another level.

A little something to get me up and running this morning. One for our resident Noo Orleanz nutter, Mr Brown?

The other Jack Johnson, of course ;-)
  • The meters: I haven't heard that particular one - I now feel I need to!

I also have the Jack Johnson set (yes, that one also!) - I must give it another spin soon. Which disc would you recommend in particular?
  • The meters: I haven't heard that particular one - I now feel I need to!

I also have the Jack Johnson set (yes, that one also!) - I must give it another spin soon. Which disc would you recommend in particular?
    The JJ set? I have no idea which is the best disk. I haven't played it for ages and have forgotten. Sorry about that.

In many ways, the original album is the best of the JJ material.

Afrobeat Week continues at Ugly Towers...

Sometimes only this will do. Accept no imitations!!!

Chris Speed/Oscar Noriega/Trevor Dunn/Jim Black - Endangered Blood.

There's almost a prog flavour mixed in with the NY Downtown stuff. Not so much as in Black's Alas No Axis albums, though - a band with Chris Speed, coming to think of it.
    feelin it

Sometimes only this will do. Accept no imitations!!!
    yup, its a giant (as was the man,in stature and a demand for things for to be just right,, bad temper too apparently ! )
    :-D
    feelin it
    Great stuff!

Coming at Moondog from jazz, this is a great CD. Some of the most enjoyable non-jazz/improvised sax I've heard.
    Miles! :-)

Enough of Miles, now for Kurt!
  • It's another water baby, though :-)
  • Your right

IMO a great album, since I've switched to valves I can actually play this album without it sound digitally compressed, in fact I'm visiting quite a few redundant albums nowadays, wonderful !
  • edited July 2011
    Your right

IMO a great album, since I've switched to valves I can actually play this album without it sound digitally compressed, in fact I'm visiting quite a few redundant albums nowadays, wonderful !
    It's not the best or the worst compression-wise, IMO. From the same era Pearl Jam's 10 is far worse to my ears.
  • I just stumbled across this:

Never heard of them before, but I like this album a lot so far.
  • A personal favourite and one thats on the mac n dac as we speak