Listening to ...

Comments

Just can't get any work done with these playing! One of the finest living singer-songwriters, IMO.

Very nice reeds/bass/drums trio. Not too far out, but still makes you work just a little ;-)

I picked this up on fleaBay recently. It's really rather good, The star of the show is largely unsung reedsman Daniel Carter, although this is pretty much a collective effort.

Little Feat's first album.

I've had this album since the mid-80s. When I bought it, I didn't really like it. As time goes by, it just gets better and better. It's a fantastic demonstration of Henderson's quiet mastery of his art.

Henderson from the 60s, in a much less laid-back setting. Some say this is his most expressive set, but I don't know enough of his work to pass judgement.

Enough of that polite jazz stuff. Let's have some noise! :-)

Charles Mingus' contribution to the year it all happened in jazz - 1959. Absolutely essential for anyone's collection, IMO.
  • imagedj shadow , the less you know the better
  • I know nothing ;-)

These four CDs sounded really scary when I first heard them back in '91. Twenty years on, while not exactly Stan Getz, they seem a much easier listen.
  • edited November 2011
    dead link, please scroll down

http://www.rozhlas.cz/d-dur/download_eng/_zprava/brandenbug-concertos-free-downloads--366308   
    brandenburg concertos by johny seebass , free flac download , awesome recording too
    L-)
  • Er, thanks for the link, Matt, but it doesn't work for me and I can't find the download page on the site :-(
  • keep forgetting you need the hyperlink thingy with vanilla
  • Thanks. That works. For some reason, the first version sprouted some garbage at the end of the URL.
  • yeah ive had that issue before, as long as the hyperlink thingummy is used it seems to work ok, nice recording and performance of the Brandenburg concerto's too. enjoy
    :)
  • I love Bach, so I'm looking forward to listening to it.
  • just finished a third listen and it just gets better, i have these works by seebass on vinyl performed by a few different orchestras but they simply dont come close in performance or sound quality, wish i could read Czech to find out a bit more about it , i got the link from the dec edition of hi fi world , Neville Roberts used the recordings as his reference when modding the logitech squeezebox  duet network doofer ,

Masada String Trio - Azazel (Book of Angels Volume 2).

Mark Feldman (violin), Erik Friedlander (cello) and Greg Cohen (bass) play compositions from John Zorn's Masada Book 2. Ranges from neo-Kletzmer to some quite challenging (to my ears) avant-garde classical. The playing is unbelievable, as you'd expect from these three.
  • @mattlynch's Brandenburgs. Now converted into ALAC and sounding great on my office system.
  • edited November 2011

The Thing with Jim O'Rourke - Shinjuku Growl.

I would have loved to have been at the Pit Inn in Tokyo that night. No one does noise like The Thing. Yet it all somehow makes sense :-)

Have I fallen into deeper obscurity? I've just noticed my current play is the first time the album has been scrobbled on Last.fm, and it's two years old!
  • edited November 2011
    just finished a third listen and it just gets better, i have these works by seebass on vinyl performed by a few different orchestras but they simply dont come close in performance or sound quality, wish i could read Czech to find out a bit more about it , i got the link from the dec edition of hi fi world , Neville Roberts used the recordings as his reference when modding the logitech squeezebox  duet network doofer ,
    I don't know if you found this, but I noticed there was no meta data in the FLAC files, so I had to run them through Jaikoz. To my amazement, it picked up all the major meta data from one of the online databases, so all I need to do is to find a 'cover' for the files.

I'll play the ALACs I made on the big system later, hopefully, and see if they sound even better there.

Matthew Shipp vs The Antipop Consortium

Live CDs from one of my favourite bands. Just about everything you want from free jazz all in one five-piece, and all from Europe, playing US musicians at their own game and winning.

I must check if I have all of Atomic's output.
  • @mattlynch's Brandenburgs. Now converted into ALAC and sounding great on my office system.
    good stuff Dave, glad you enjoyed it too, i did notice the lack of data, took me a while to find it in my library ,small though it is, as i was looking for Bach, which is not what the files are tagged with,
    the biggest surprise i found with these files is the bass quality which has lots of power and presence and superb balance , love the way they have left all ambient backround noise as it was captured (and is especially apparent between tracks) which really helps the 'live' feel of the recording , i even synced it onto spotify so i can listen while i cycle to work and even at this reduced mp3 quality its still a very nice listen.its recordings like this that really make a good case for digital !!
     huge thanks to Hi Fi World for publishing the link.
    all the best for now,
    matt
    :-D
  • Sounds very natural, doesn't it?
  • lol, dont know if anything sounds 'natural on my system, what i do know is that these files sound brilliant , utter captivating and entertaining with warts and all,. thats all i want from any recording

just been having a wee listen to this on spotify, quite nice on first listen, might hunt it down on the black stuff, 
  • With the Lightspeed and the DEQ tweaks on the Mac, I'm amazed how I'm sucked into performances now. And the Brandenburg files just suck me in. I love Bach, and this sounds like I'm there, as much as anything can at home.

If and when I get some OBs working in this room, I think the system will sound utterly magical...

just been having a wee listen to this on spotify, quite nice on first listen, might hunt it down on the black stuff, 
    Funny, I was wondering if you'd like it, as you seem to have jazz and electronica/hip-hop tastes.

I don't know if it's available on vinyl. Good luck in your search.

Still going through my Jim Black is God stage! Like all great drummers, there's even something about the way he hits the drums.

Funny, I was wondering if you'd like it, as you seem to have jazz and electronica/hip-hop tastes.

I don't know if it's available on vinyl. Good luck in your search.
    yeah, also blues , prog rock, broken beat, wierd sound scape stuff from the likes of pan sonic, eighties pop(i love adam and the ants !!!!! stop sniggering at the back!, have another listen to the quality of playing and passion of their delivery) ,punk , bluegrass , choral ,some classical , etc etc,
    the lp seems to still be readily available on vinyl, happy days!
  • edited November 2011
    I don't know Pan Sonic. Are they on Spotti?

Glad the Matt Shipp is available on those fruit bowl things 
    :-j
    Shipp was/is 'curator' (or some such term) of the Blue Series and has made some interesting jazz/electronica/hip-hop fusions over the last ten years or so, as well as keeping up his acoustic free/avant garde jazz output.

I imagine there must be some more on Spotti.

Lowell George-era Little Feat. There's little better. Their loose/tight playing was totally unique, and sounds just as good now as when I bought the albums when I was at school in the 70s.

Since nabbing a few more from Amazon recently, I keep playing them over and over. I will be back to normal soon. Be quiet at the back!
  • hi dave,i had a search on spotti a while ago for pan sonic (formerly 'panasonic ' but the electronics giant sued them!!) , with no results, just had another search and there is loads!, including lots i havent heard yet,i only have 'A'  and a double 7" called 'Arctic Rangers, there was one LP i had but now seems to have gone missing from my collection called Endless by Vainio Väisänen Vega' but was actually all pan sonics work and was my bit of work by them.
    not sure if you will like them as they tend to do stuff such as recording an empty silent room or dragging a nail along a concrete floor , but hey , its a bit different.
    all the best ,
    matt
  • Thanks Matt

I'll have a look. Was never averse to scratching nails, but I suppose I did go over to digital-only many years ago now
    :-D \:D/ =;
  • Brandenburg Concertos, whilst going desk work (catch-up time after the move(s)! Very cheery - thanks Matt.
    =D>
    heard a track from this on late junction last week , Max Reinhardt was hosting the show, been playing the album a lot on spoti , must track it down , sent ASE an email to find out if they plan release it on vinyl or even as a FLAC download, fingers crossed.
    Alan, glad you enjoyed it
  • What the heck is that?
  • its odd to say the least but, damn i really like it, you also must appreciate how utterly rare it is to allow an musical instrument  into a synagogue ,never mind a full experimental jazz group.
    give it a go you 'might'  like it. 
  • I shall, sir.

Once I've finished playing the Medeski Martin & Wood playlist on YouTube. It amused me for a goodly part of yesterday, and I'm only half-way through.
  • I shall, sir.

Once I've finished playing the Medeski Martin & Wood playlist on YouTube. It amused me for a goodly part of yesterday, and I'm only half-way through.
    been watching some of that too, those guys have something really very special going on, the vid you posted was just filthy , grimy and oh so good, hope they come to edinburgh some time soon
  • Don't they just!

I saw them in Brighton a few years back, but I thought they never really caught light on that occasion :-(

The Harriet Tubman Double Trio plays John Coltrane's Ascension, live at the Knitting Factory back in 2000. Only recently released, though.

I love saxophone trios. They seem to have a rhythmic freedom that larger ensembles with chordal instruments lack.

This one is great. Only recently released, and by a sax player I hadn't heard of, it's an absolute scorcher. All three players are at the top of their game, and I just have to keep listening to it.

There are few better ways to start the day musically than the great man.
  • All afternoon, my iTunes Genius West African Mix. Loads of Fela Kuti.

No wonder I have a large grin on my face!

This is OK. Despite its good reviews a couple of years back, it's just a little disappointing to my ears - and with this line-up, it shouldn't be.