Listening to ...

Comments

• edited January 2012
  • a tune from the album :

• edited January 2012
    but this is the one i prefer  most, let me say, awesome !  :

• edited January 2012
    Beastie Boys 'Ill Communication'.
    Currently houses the high point of my entire music collection: "Sabotage". Specifically half way through that track is a complete drop out. 5 bars later (after the guitar riff has got going) there's a rebel yell. Love it.

The album is a sprawling fusion of funk, jazz, hip-hop, rock and heavy
    metal with a generous dose of fun. Perhaps more shouting and distortion
    than is useful, and not as refined as their 'Paul's Boutique' LP, but
    'Ill Communication' is getting at least twice daily plays in Gloucester
    this weekend.image
  • edited January 2012

that's blues!
  • Talking Heads - Stop Making Sense on vinyl

Star Rise. Remixes of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. Play Loud! :-)
  • edited January 2012
    Beastie Boys 'Ill Communication'.
    Currently houses the high point of my entire music collection: "Sabotage". Specifically half way through that track is a complete drop out. 5 bars later (after the guitar riff has got going) there's a rebel yell. Love it.

The album is a sprawling fusion of funk, jazz, hip-hop, rock and heavy
    metal with a generous dose of fun. Perhaps more shouting and distortion
    than is useful, and not as refined as their 'Paul's Boutique' LP, but
    'Ill Communication' is getting at least twice daily plays in Gloucester
    this weekend.image
    Always a sucker for junk and fazz, me :-)

Seriously, I don't know this stuff at all. I'll do that Spotti thing and have a listen to see what you're on about - and if there are any Jaco samples :-D.
  • Try their "Paul's boutique" too, it's less...
    ...Beastie boys.
    "Ill Communication" offers some real gems though.
  • Btw not sure about Jaco bass riffs, some cracking bass lines regularly pop up from somewhere tho'.
  • Gary Moore - Still got the blues, stunning album from the 1990, very emotional playing on the ballads and a personal favourite of mine  :)

Atomic. One of my fave bands of the last 10 years. 'nuff said. Except, perhaps, that a new album snuck out towards the end of last year that I haven't snagged yet. How remiss of me!
  • Natalie Merchant - Ophelia, Motherland and Tigerlily.....I must have been living with my head in the sand to have not heard anything of Natalie Merchant before.  Wonderful vocals.
  • Chris Bergson Band - Imitate the Sun.
  • Ah, she of 10,000 Maniacs fame! Loved the band's name, if not its music ;-)

But I do agree on her vocals.

Mahanthappa is producing some great music. I must keep an eye open for any sign that he's playing in the UK. Definitely worth a trip up to the Big Smoke(TM).
  • Natalie Merchant - Ophelia, Motherland and Tigerlily.....I must have been living with my head in the sand to have not heard anything of Natalie Merchant before.  Wonderful vocals.
    I only have her on 10,000 maniacs and tigerlily, and a MoFi CD of Tigerlily. Very nice indeed.
  • Which 10,000 maniacs album(s)
    do you have Alan? I need to do some research into their work after discovering her solo stuff.
  • Off the top of my head I can only remember the MTV unplugged one. Think of it as a live 'best of' album, it's really quite good. Production is OK, but it has real energy.

Donald Byrd - Off to the Races. It's a late 50s Blue Note, with all that implies.

Nice Merc on the cover!

Not really a jazz album, but WTH, I like it :-)
  • Where are the chips?
  • All around my glass...
  • ...you wear the green willow!
  • I were...

My fascination with all things Tim Berne continues. This is a great one, on initial hearings.
  • Ferlipping hell....again.

• Oli Brown - Open Road.
  • Fat Freddy's Drop 'Based on a true story'

Brilliant contemporary dub music!
  • Mingus Ah Um - vinyl
  • Fat Freddy's Drop 'Based on a true story'

Brilliant contemporary dub music!
    As favoured by the late, great Charlie Gillett, no less!
  • edited January 2012
    Gil Scott-Heron - Reflections.

Wonderful. What more can I say?
  • Adele - Live at the Royal Albert Hall.

Finally a high quality Adele recording.....I've not been moved to tears listening to a record in a long time. This version of 'Someone like you' has the crowd singing the chorus and the recording picks up the ambience of the venue brilliantly...spine tingling stuff.

Right what's next......wife and kids back in one hour :D
  • Adele - Live at the Royal Albert Hall.

Finally a high quality Adele recording.....I've not been moved to tears listening to a record in a long time. This version of 'Someone like you' has the crowd singing the chorus and the recording picks up the ambience of the venue brilliantly...spine tingling stuff.

Right what's next......wife and kids back in one hour :D
    Is that a CD James? Or a bootleg?
  • It's a blu ray/cd set that has recently been released. I think it's £13 on Amazon.co.uk.
  • Thanks mate - worth a look methinks. She is a brilliant performer.
  • SRV - Couldn't Stand The Weather. vinyl
    Nice! I must get another CD to rip, as I'm not convinced by the one I have - but what a record!

incidently, I just bought Sloe Gin by Joe Bonamassa which I haven't ripped yet. I was reading up about him (might have been the sleeve notes) and JB was perfecting his SRV licks at seven (7!) years old, before BB King took him on tour at age twelve. Just staggering!

A few more listens on, and I think this is a real gem in Berne's discography.
    Nice! I must get another CD to rip, as I'm not convinced by the one I have - but what a record!

incidently, I just bought Sloe Gin by Joe Bonamassa which I haven't ripped yet. I was reading up about him (might have been the sleeve notes) and JB was perfecting his SRV licks at seven (7!) years old, before BB King took him on tour at age twelve. Just staggering!
    <clunk!> Penny drops as to who SRV is. Duh!

I bought Sloe Gin on vinyl a few months ago. It's not out of the wrapper yet. 

I my view SRV is one of very few people who can cover a Hendrix track even remotely well enough.
    Nice!
    They may not be SRV, but MMW (see what I did there?) do a cool version of Hey Joe on this very album.
  • Ooh - that's worth investigating then. Hey Joe - the finest track from Hendrix? I think so...(runs for cover)

I do agree about SRV covering Hendix though, with the possible exception of the Bushman Bros - a couple of white South Africans based in Hove (who are guitar/drum tutors and also Kite Surfing instructors). They used to play prolifically in pubs around Shoreham, Worthing & Hove etc...watch out for them, they really are (were) ace.

@Jim. This is the album where they're wearing masks I couldn't remember the title of the other day.
  • Ooh - that's worth investigating then. Hey Joe - the finest track from Hendrix? I think so...(runs for cover)

I do agree about SRV covering Hendix though, with the possible exception of the Bushman Bros - a couple of white South Africans based in Hove (who are guitar/drum tutors and also Kite Surfing instructors). They used to play prolifically in pubs around Shoreham, Worthing & Hove etc...watch out for them, they really are (were) ace.
    It's clearly Red House.  Fact. No discussion :)

Another artist capable of covering Hendrix is ,for me, Neil Young.  Who, like SRV, can match the energy Hendrix put in - though he doesn't have SRV's subtlety and dexterity.