Listening to ...

Comments

• Masada Vol 5 - having my fillings vibrated by Joey Baron's drumming  :-D
  • John Surman - Upon Reflection
    Steve Reich - Different Trains (Kronos Qt)
    Steve Reich - Different Trains (Orchestral Version) (2004)
    Charlie Haden & Pat Metheny - Beyond The Missouri Sky (Short Stories)
    Pierre Gossez - Come Bach
  • I have all those but the Gossez, and I've never heard of him.

There is an awful lot of low bass on this recording, even on my little Royds. Oh, and the music's good, too ;-)
  • OK. Let's move on from that heavy production stuff.

In which Marilyn Crispell does an about-face from her Cecil Taylor-school cascades of notes pianistics into Paul Motian-school spacy, floaty piano trios. ECM does this kind of recording so well, and this is a cracker on all levels. 

• lol, dont know if anything sounds 'natural on my system, what i do know is that these files sound brilliant , utter captivating and entertaining with warts and all,. thats all i want from any recording

Downloading this now for a listen tomorrow.
  • edited November 2011

Pierre Gossez AKA Alan Gate was a French saxophoniste extraordinaire, the 2 albums I have date from the 60''s. He essentially has recreated Bach in a jazz quintet (quartet + 1, bass, piano, drums, alt sax some occasional playing on harpsichord) setting with his saxophone taking the forefront. The playing is superbe and the group have that amazing symmetry about them. I was thrilled to discover the albums released on CD  a mere 44 years after their successful vinyl release.
    I discovered him shortly after finding Jacques Loussier when I was a young teenager, this man and Gossez were heard regularly in the coffee houses of 1960's Toronto Canada where I grew up.

I'm not sure if this link will work but you may be able to sample the music here:
    http://player.qobuz.com/#!/artist/35002
  • Hmm. I'm not sure about that. I love Bach, but this doesn't seem to add much to the originals, to my ears.
  • edited November 2011
    To each his own :)
  • Of course! :-)
  • image not an audiophile album, but lots of fun for my ears :)
  • 808 State "ex:el"
    An album of total contrasts - some tunes epic, others epic fails.

On vinyl of course
    Another one from yesterdays vinyl score, aint heard this for years, unfortunately the vinyl has seen better days, but it brings bak the memories of going to the Odeon in Birmingham and being astounded by Randy Rhodes
  • HELP !
    Bought a mint double LP along with a Boult Planets @ 3 for a £ .
    Intermezzo by Hans Carste Promenade Concert Orch circa 1961 - 
    Supermarket variations on a classical theme ...
    Having switched off all musical taste ... I am swirling in it .
    Maybe I sholud not inflict it on the PT . 
    This is terrifying !
    The Gunter Kallman choir Elizabet Seranade which I loved at 15 [ and still do ] , is high brow compared to this , groan .
  • Sounds worrying...
    I kid you not!

Composed music from Zorn. He calls it classical, I understand, but what a classical aficionado would make of it, I don't know.

Tim Berne's Caos Totale - Nice View.

I'm really enjoying the couple of earlier Tim Berne albums I've picked up recently.

Is it piano trio day?
  • edited December 2011
    This one always reminds me of my dear departed friend, Mick. He loved this album.

Anything but Unspeakable! One of Frisell's finest hours, IMO.

Recorded not long after Live at the Village Vanguard, this has Pepper in scorching style with a different band (not one of his earlier dodgy pick-up ones, thankfully) on the West Coast.

I still can't get enough of the man's last five or so years.
    Another fine recent solo piano album.
  • Well done Dave.

Tim Berne's Bloodcount - Discretion.

• What Ugly is listening to, i'm pretty much listening to as well!

To peas in a avant jazz pod! lol
  • That's cool. It's the place to be :-)
  • Yes i need to go through the thread with a paper and pen and list the albums you've posted!

Current listening to the "ever popular" Nicholas Payton's Sonic Trance.

• I think I'll skirt the 'Payton controversy' :-)
  • Back to the fun and games of my music collection...

What a band!

Mark Dresser - bass etc
    Tim Berne - alto
    Herb Robertson - trumpet, cornet
    Mark Feldman - violin, baritone violin
    Hank Roberts - cello etc
    Joey Baron - drums, electronics

Sections of this album are closer to 'jazz' than Berne's bands normally get.
  • Yes i need to go through the thread with a paper and pen and list the albums you've posted!

Current listening to the "ever popular" Nicholas Payton's Sonic Trance.

You can have a look at my last.fm stream, too. http://www.last.fm/uglymusic/
  • edited December 2011
    The Last. fm link doesn't work for some reason?

Listening to Philip Glass's Symphony No 3 & 8 at the moment.

• Sorry about that. It should have been http://www.last.fm/user/uglymusic.

I don't think I know either of those symphonies. It's some time since I had a serious listen to the minimalists.
  • 'The History of Acid Jazz'.
    It's 1994 in here.
    The Humble Souls "Watch my Garden Grow". Cool...
  • It's 2011 here, with:

Please note, I've not started listening to Duran Duran.
  • A couple from earlier today:

I suppose I should do some Googling, 'cos I don't know a thing about the 'legendary Hasaan'!

Miroslav Vitous - Universal Syncopations II.
  • Is this the HDTracks one or a CD? (Or was that another performance I'm thinking of?)
    It's 2011 here, with:

Please note, I've not started listening to Duran Duran.

• It's the CD. It was only after I got it in my hands that I realised I should have looked on HDtracks and that other site that does ECM downloads (gube.com?).

This is a very nice hard bop/blues-type session from 1961. Of course, I prefer McLean's later flirtations with the avant-garde, but I can see myself playing this quite a bit.